Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
naturalchick27

A red bloom on a pink knockout bush?

Naturalchick27
12 years ago

One of the blooms on my blushing knockout is dark pink or close to red in color while the rest of the bush is a baby pink. How did this happen? I did a google search and someone said something about a wild rose taking over the bush but I don't think this is the case.

Comments (12)

• petaloid
    12 years ago

Is the branch with that bloom coming from the same place as the branches that are blooming light pink? If so, it could be reverting back to the original Knock Out. I'll put a photo link below and you can see one of the pictures shows a bloom with a few petals that reverted back.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blushing Knock Out

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

Roses do what's called sporting. They'll throw a genetic mutation once in a while. It could be that whole branch or just that one bloom. If it's a cane mutation and cuttings are taken and rooted you end up with a new variety. Blushing Knock Out is a sport of the original Knock Out. They also do what's called reverting. That's where a sport of one rose will suddenly revert back to the original rose. That may be what has happened with yours, it's gone back to the original Knock Out. And it may still be just that one cane or bloom and not the whole plant. Tie a piece of red ribbon on the cane and watch to see how it blooms the next time.

• Naturalchick27
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The red bloom is on its own cane with no other blooms or buds. I will try to post a picture later on. I think I will try to root that cane and see if I can make a whole new bush:)

• mike_rivers
    12 years ago

"Red bloom on its own cane" could be a reversion but it could also be a sucker from a grafted rootstock, the most common of which is Dr. Huey.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dr. Huey

• Naturalchick27
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@ Mike~the red bloom on my bush is the exact color of dr huey in your link. But it hasn't opened yet. Is that what they use to graft a knockout?

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    12 years ago

Knock Out isn't usually grafted. But, Dr. Huey is the most commonly used rootstock. Trace the source of the cane that the bloom is on, and if it is coming from the rootstock, then may well be Dr. Huey. But, as seil said, Blushing Knock Out does occasionally throw a bloom of its paernt, Knock Out. I've even had striped and half and half blooms, but not consistent enough to root.

• Naturalchick27
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So Seil, I cannot root the Dr. Huey bloom?

• roseseek
    12 years ago

Diane, I hope you find a stable enough striped sport on your Knock Out to produce plants from. You could make some money on that one! Kim

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    12 years ago

Kim, wouldn't that be something!!! ;-))

Naturalchick27, if it IS Dr. Huey, you can root it, but you don't want to. Dr. Huey is a once-blooming (in the spring) climber, which gets blackspot and powdery mildew. Not worth the effort.

• roseseek
    12 years ago

A striped Knock Out is about the only one I would consider for my garden. That would, at least, make it INTERESTING for me. Unless you're really hard-up for roses, I wouldn't root Huey. In many areas, even the petals mildew. When it was introduced, it was the ONLY cold hardy, dark colored climber. 80+ years later, there are many, much more suitable choices for that. Kim

• SusanBachman
    11 years ago

I believe it is illegal to propagate or clone the Knock Out roses because they are registered. It says, âÂÂAsexual propagation without proper authorization is prohibited.â I have done propagation on antique roses. You just need to be careful about registration/copywrite/patent etc.

Here is an article excerpt:
    According to the statement from Conard-Pyle, the nursery was in violation of United States Plant Patent Laws that state that no one may asexually propagate or sell any patented plant without the permission of the patent owner.

âÂÂIllegal propagation is a matter that we take very seriously,â said Jacques Ferare, vice president of license for The Conard-Pyle Co. âÂÂAs the introducer of the Knock Out roses, we are committed to ensuring that Knock Out plants are grown only by legitimate growers. This not only protects these legitimate nurseries, it also guarantees that the consumer is getting the real thing and not a knockoff.âÂÂ

ItâÂÂs to ensure the rights of Knock Out brand of roses are being protected, Conard-Pyle is taking legal steps to enforce its trademark and plant patent rights throughout the horticultural industry. Most recently Conard-Pyle has joined forces with other major nurseries in hiring Plant Watch, a well-known monitoring program to help enforce its intellectual property rights.

• jerijen
    11 years ago

But --if it was genuinely a sport, THAT would be legal.

OTOH, if this is not ol' Doc Huey, I would mark that cane, to see if more of the different blooms show up, before I tried to root it. Early in the year, when the weather's changeable, you do sometimes see temporary color shifts, which are not stable sports.

Jeri

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!