Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jim1961_gw

Sickly roses from.........

Received these sickly KO roses yesterday...
"

I'm not a container person so I just threw these 2 guys into the ground , watered well & will shade for awhile...

I'll replace next year if needed because these things look sickly...

{{gwi:311491}}

{{gwi:311492}}

{{gwi:311493}}

HERE's the 2nd rose:

{{gwi:311494}}

{{gwi:311495}}

This post was edited by jim1961 on Sat, Jul 20, 13 at 20:37

Comments (20)

• racin_rose
    10 years ago

The last roses I got from J&P looked like that...just terrible. They're all doing great now, but I had all but written them off.
    I am pretty sure it was because I got my shipping notification and didn't receive the plants until 12 days later...so they were in transit that whole time...in the dark, and heat.

Did they take forever to get to your house?

• roseseek
    10 years ago

They look as if the box overheated to me, too. The plants will probably be fine as long as the actual wood and roots look normal. Don't worry about the foliage. That's disposable. The plants cycle through leaves all the time. Good luck! I wouldn't trash the source for how these look. This is a period of extreme heat over MUCH of the country. The company is caught between not shipping to reduce possible damage to the plants and shipping them to keep the customers happy. Danged if they do, danged if they don't. Kim

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Shipped on a Monday from Michigan and got here to PA on Friday...
    Soil in pot was dry..................

This post was edited by jim1961 on Sat, Jul 20, 13 at 20:43

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

They look heat stressed for the most part. That's not surprising considering how hot the weather has been nation wide and that they were in who knows what conditions while traveling to you. What you're doing for them should take care of it with a little time and patience.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Point taken Roseseek on the heat so I changed my
    original post and took the companies name out...

BUT I also just received roses from Heirloom Roses
    and they arrived in great shape in spite of heat...........

• racin_rose
    10 years ago

Good luck with them, I'm sure they'll be fine. Mine almost completely defoliated and were yellow...and they sprang back to life, thank goodness.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Should I even bother shading them then since the leaves will probably defoliate???
    I never received roses in this bad of shape before...lol

• roseseek
    10 years ago

If they came from the same state via the same mail route, in the same trucks, I would think poorly of the original source. I'm not familiar with the first source and have no idea where they are located. If the first source came from further away, perhaps from a hotter area, on possibly hotter days, that could explain it. If, for some reason, the USPS held the original box in a hot trailer too long, while the Heirloom box wasn't, that could explain it. I maintain it is not necessarily the fault of the original source. There is too much reasonable doubt due to too many other possibilities.

Yes, shade them as you would otherwise. You don't want the canes burning. Kim

This post was edited by roseseek on Sat, Jul 20, 13 at 20:57

• jerijen
    10 years ago

Plus the fact that Heirloom is located in OR -- which I think may be the ONLY state not suffering from terrible heat.

Jeri

Original Author
    10 years ago

Actually FED EX dropped those sickly guys off...
    FED EX picked package up on Wednesday in Walker Michigan...
    Arrived here Friday...

Heirloom Roses traveled here via UPS from the state of Oregon... Not sure what days it was orginally shipped...

• roseseek
    10 years ago

It's still comparing apples to oranges. Each package was simply the luck of the draw. Kim

Original Author
    10 years ago

Luck of the draw for sure roseseek...
    Ok I'll keep shading them....
    Luckily our high heatwave broke...

Original Author
    10 years ago

Today has been mostly cloudy with temps in the upper 70's... Our heatwave broke yesterday...

I'll let everyone know how I make out with these later in the year...

{{gwi:311496}}

• mgleason56
    10 years ago

Not to second guess you Jim, but why buy KO from an online vendor? They are in every store I walk in to, and most have them on sale this time of year.

• sunflowersrus222
    10 years ago

I've had roses in the past appear to have completely died off and thought I would give them another chance. Yesterday I noticed 6" of new growth coming up out of the ground. All that was left before this new growth was the root and a tiny little stub. There is hope for your roses yet. Just give them time. Just when I think all is lost my roses prove me wrong. Yours may bounce back but just need time to recover.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Mgleason,

You are correct in your thinking! I just wanted to try out the online vendor and I wanted two Double Ko's SO that's why I ordered from them...lol

The leaves have fallen off and it looks like new growth will be coming out soon... :)

{{gwi:311497}}

• kittymoonbeam
    10 years ago

Question about roses that come with dry soil and toasted leaves

I cut all the leaves off and watered and the rose grew new leaves but was set back considerably. Should I have not cut the leaves off. I just thought the plant would try and waste energy on the dried out leaves. I cut off the dried tips of canes as well. I am guessing that dried rootlets probably died off too.

What would you have done? Sometimes buying at these low sale prices and having plants sent in the summer to So CA turns out to be a bad idea.

• roseseek
    10 years ago

If the leaves were dried out and/or cooked, the plant won't expend any energy on them, Kitty. Same with dried out/fried cane tips. The advantage to leaving the dried out foliage on the plant would be the sun protection they may afford the living parts of the plant. But, if there are still green parts which aren't fried, they will continue photosynthesizing food for the plant. Some people can't stand the looks of the damaged/dying foliage, so they're going to cut it all off anyway. If you're not one of them, leaving it on can't hurt and may help.

More than likely, nothing you did made any difference how far set back the plants were. If they experienced that extreme heat in an enclosed box, they were partially cooked to begin with. You're fortunate they didn't flat out die on you. Kim

Original Author
    10 years ago

The roses are starting to releaf....

We have been having Spring like temps and that
    looks like its going to continue for awhile so that is
    helping out...

{{gwi:311498}}

{{gwi:311500}}

• rosybunny
    10 years ago

nothing is ever so cheerful as the sight of a rose plant with only darling baby leaves peeking out, I have a few in such a state and I have kissed and hugged them...congrats!