Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
heat = farewell roses

Posted by pootpoot1 9B inland empire (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 20:19

This summer I lost six roses due to the intense heat of southern California. It was so sudden. Portland of glendora was well watered and was protected by shade too. But all in one afternoon her leaves just dried out and the cane started browning. Same with double delight, Alnwick, veranda, and the rest. Oh well, it was nice knowing you. Maybe someday.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: heat = farewell roses

It is not nearly as hot here, but did you check to see if they had some help in dying?

Gophers can tunnel away a lot of water in addition to eating the roots. I am on the coast and use a drip system. Our roses are looking....surprisingly well. The soil is so dry where there are no drippers I feel bad for the weeds.

o

• Posted by jim1961 6a Central Pa. (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 21:18

Sorry to hear that!

o

@Kippy they were in large containers and I moved them as soon as I noticed the weather getting really hot one day. 100 + degrees and up for a few weeks (maybe even months since summer is not over yet). I'm afraid I might lose more because the leaves from my other roses are dried as well but they still gave green canes, even with watering and the shade but I'm hoping for the best. Francis Meilland is doing the best so far, along with chrysler imperial and medallion.

o

Maybe you could cover them with dripping wet blankets/towels during the heat of the day?
Carol

o

Carol -I'll have to try that out! Thank you

o

I've grown at least a rose in pots over the years, but I grow far more roses in pots now; actually about a dozen. My temperatures have been in the 100's with 5% humidity, and three of my roses in pots are in full sun. Nothing is frying or dying in pots. I give this description only to communicate that maybe other explanations should be considered. In the past when I used terra cotta pots ( I only use resin or plastic now) the pot was doubled (plastic pot inside of the terra-cotta).

I primarily use M.G. Moisture Control potting mix. I do not know if any of this helps but I hope you get to the bottom of the problem and are able yo save your roses.

Lynn

This post was edited by desertgarden561 on Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 16:29

o

I'm not good at keeping roses alive in pots and even the ones in the ground have been struggling, and the coming ten days are supposed to be really hot here. My soil is also rather poor and drains quickly so it's a real challenge.

I have found that mounding up the soil around each rose and putting leaf mulch in that area and watering that area slowly (unless of course you have drip irrigation which is even better) has helped to keep the roses going, with even new growth appearing. It will become more challenging as the hot weather continues month after month but all we can do is try. I would think that container roses would do best in almost complete shade during the hottest months. I'm so sorry that you've already lost several roses, that has to be very depressing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here