Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbieberry

Grass growing out of rose bush

gardenbug
13 years ago

I know that sounds a bit odd but I just acquired an old rose from my neighbor. There is grass growing from the base of the rose and I keep pulling it out but it keeps growing back. Any ideas on what I can do to kill the grass without harming the rose? Thanks

Comments (9)

• jerijen
    13 years ago

Bare root it, next dormant season, and strip away all of that stuff.

Jeri

• charleney
    13 years ago

I have sprayed them with Grass B Gone with good results. Did not hurt my roses, but sometimes took more than one application.

• greenhaven
    13 years ago

If you keep pulling it and don't let it get big enough to feed itself it WILL go away. Maybe slowly, but surely. I inherited quack grass with some roses a friend gave me. I'm still pullin' but it is getting less.

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all.

Jergen, I'm not sure what you mean when you tell me to bare root it next dormant season. Can you explain in a way that I will understand? I'm a new rose grower with bare-ly a clue.

charleney - I've never heard of Grass Be Gone, I will have to check it out. Thx for the tip.

greenhaven - You mean don't let the grass get big enough? It feeds itself? I didn't know that. See? I keep learning something new everyday. I think I'll just keep pulling for awhile. If it ends up becoming a real hassle, I might try charlenay's suggestion.

Thanks again everyone!

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    13 years ago

If the grass cannot photosynthesize, the grass roots will die of starvation. If you keep pulling it out as soon as it comes up, that will kill it, if you are vigilant and patient.

Bare root would mean dig the rose up and shake off as much of the soil as possible, then take a hose and wash off the rest of the soil until all you are left with is the roots of the plant, without any soil on them. Then replant. Only to be done when the plant is dormant or nearly so, and you have a good stretch of cool weather ahead, so that the plant has time to re-establish the root system before top growth (leaves) starts up again in spring.

• greenhaven
    13 years ago

What hoovb said. :o)

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

hoovb and greenhaven.

Okay, I get it. It makes sense to me now. I have lots of patience and I can be vigilant. I'll continue the rest of the summer just pulling out all the grass. Thank you very much for helping me with this.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    13 years ago

In case you have not noticed, it is much easier to pull out that grass right after you give the rose a good watering. Easier to get the grass out by the roots.

Kate

• susan4952
    13 years ago

In my lasagna bed I have lots of grass that still tries to shoot up. I top dress with manure after spring pruning and this crust around the base growth really keeps all weeds/ grass growth way down. Mulch on top of that.