Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grandmothers_rose

Will Oklahoma grow well on its own roots?

I had a little success with the experiment with the newspaper wrapped cuttings in my basement. Now I really want to know if they will be worthwhile garden roses. What do you think?

Comments (15)

• vissara
    12 years ago

my climate is a lot warmer than yours but I have own root Oklahoma in my garden that's been there almost ten years and is to all appearences the same as my sister's grafted one

• petaloid
    12 years ago

I would expect them to do just fine on their own roots, although it takes some time for them to grow to a full-sized plant.

• roseseek
    12 years ago

All things being equal, yes, it will grow quite well own root, just as its sibling, Mr. Lincoln, will. Congratulations! Kim

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    12 years ago

When most older Hybrid Teas were introduced they were grown on grafted rootstock. That's mostly how they were evaluated by the hybridizers/and or the sellers. Many of these older gems are not very vigorous on their own roots, although there are exceptions. Oklahoma in my experience in my climate was not an exception and does benefit from grafting. However if you have some cuttings that have rooted and look promising I for one would certainly be tempted to grow them on. I would give them the best of growing conditions and placement. As the old saying goes, waste not, want not. Who knows they may end up throwing basils right and left for you........Maryl

• grandmothers_rose z6b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm going to pot them up over the 4th and see what happens. This year is the first time (of four attempts) that I've even had a hope of growth from cuttings and I'm quite excited about the success. I think the coolness in the basement has made a difference from previous attempts. I have a few cuttings with leaves or roots in the basement under lights in baggies and now the callused cuttings in the newspapers. I'm very happy!

• roseseek
    12 years ago

I hope you can hold them until this heat passes. That's the greatest difficulty I've had with the method yet. When the milder weather was still here, taking them further was rather easy. A hundred degrees makes it a whole lot more touchy. Good luck! Fun, isn't it? Kim

• grandmothers_rose z6b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, I was wondering if taking cuttings in late August might work better.

So, if I pot these guys up and put them back in a dark basement, will the roots still grow? There is some light, but not even enough for a Philodendron. Do they need light for the stems? I don't have any more room under the grow lights. Can I put them out in the (hot) shade once they get a leaf or two?

• roseseek
    12 years ago

It seems the wrapping method is at its best when temps are more on the cool side and the cuttings can be potted out where they'll get filtered light and mild, say fifties to sixties temps while growing on. Once they are potted, they will need some light as the increase in temperature will stimulate them to form roots and grow. They'll need some for the green wood to photosynthesize food to support them.

Is there anywhere outdoors where they can be put in semi shade, kept with a bit higher humidity and watered? You don't want them to fry, dry out or rot. I know, a delicate balancing act this time of year. I am not having difficulties getting them callus and root. It's aftercare that's more touchy now, because of the heat, wind, intense sun, extreme evaporation, etc. Many are drying out before they can support themselves. It wasn't an issue when the daytime temps were no higher than the mid seventies. As I've continually said, it's going to take some tweaking to make it fit everyone's situations. Kim

• grandmothers_rose z6b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I was intending to put them in 16 oz styrofoam cups (half pearlite and half good potting soil) in an old fishtank, and cover it loosely. I know the completely shaded back porch is not the place. Killed the previous ones there. So, I just need to put a few in different places and see what grows. I just need to do it. I'm really bad about wanting to something just right, then not doing it because I can't do it perfectly. So what . . . I'm out a few bucks and some time. It's not like my family is depending on me to grow the winter food supply. It's a-rose-a-therapy! Kinda like that.

• toronto_girl_zone_6
    12 years ago

I'm glad I came across this thread. About two weeks ago, I stuck three Oklahoma cuttings as a joke into the potting soil, and one of them has successfully rooted (original plant is grafted and in the same container). I'm hoping it grows large enough by April 2012 to be planted outdoors in the garden.

• grandmothers_rose z6b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Now that's good news! If toronto girl can grow her that easily I should get at least 4-5 plants from 10 cuttings. But then, what will I do with them all??? Is this like having to find homes for cute little kittens?

• grandmothers_rose z6b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh the shame! I rooted Dr. Huey! When I took cuttings evidently my friend didn't know to cut off suckers and I didn't think to only take cuttings from blooming stems. No wonder these cuttings grew!

One of the cuttings bloomed yesterday and the flower has little scent, only 15 petals, and looks just like the Dr. Huey pics. The little plants have few thorns, too.

The bloom is pretty. I like the dark red petals and the yellow stamens. Not quite Oklahoma, though.

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

Lol, no reason to be ashamed, grandmother! We've probably all done something similar once or twice too! If you like the Dr. let him grow. Otherwise try again with OK.

• grandmothers_rose z6b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The experiment last summer was a success in so far that it gave me confidence to plant some more cuttings this spring. A few of them are growing, and since they are all from my plants KNOW they are not rootstock! I will try that Oklahoma again AFTER I prune my friend's plant while it is blooming to make sure I don't get the good Dr.