achang89

What Deep Red HT to Choose?

achang89
9 years ago

I currently have:

Chrysler Imperial
Olympia
Had Mr. Lincoln before.

What other deep red HT roses do you folks recommend? I like Mr. Lincoln for the deep red color.

Comments (10)

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    9 years ago

Black Magic

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    9 years ago

It's hard for me to make recommendations regarding "how they do" because mine came either last year as bands or this year as gallons, but I do have some besides the ones mentioned which you might want to check out. I grow my dark red and crimson Hybrid Teas in containers -- some are in 22 1/2" black resin barrels I bought at Home Depot for $20 each, while the smaller ones are in 15" pots.

Big Ben (barrel)
    Chateau de Clos Vougeot (pot)
    Crimson Glory (pot)
    Heart's Desire (pot)
    Mirandy (barrel)
    Night (pot -- will be in barrel next year)
    Nigrette (pot)
    Nocturne (pot -- will be in barrel next year)
    Oklahoma (barrel)
    Red Masterpiece (barrel)
    Velvet Fragrance (barrel)

I have a few others on a "possibilities" list. I wasn't interested in unscented roses, so some which others may recommend didn't interest me for that reason. Take a look at:

Avon
    Barcelona (sold by some nurseries as Francis Dubreuil)
    Black Lady
    Charles Mallerin
    Deep Secret
    Etoile de Hollande
    Gloire de Hollande
    Mme Louis Laperriere
    Papa Meilland
    Olde Romeo

Some of these are older roses which you may not find appealing, being as they have "poor flower form" and/or don't grow into very large plants. For me, there's something magical about fragrant dark red and crimson roses in all their forms, even if they're finicky plants -- I grow them in pots so I can baby them, and cover their bare legs with annuals.

:-)

~Christopher

This post was edited by AquaEyes on Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 23:18

• achang89
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is a nice long list. I'll check them. I really like the fragrant dark red HT.

Have not planted HTs for some time, just for the fear of the deers. I'll give it a try this year. Thx.

• densiemill Miller
    9 years ago

Oklahoma!

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    9 years ago

I would add Ace of Hearts/Asso di Cuori and Opening Night to the list of the above varieties.

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    9 years ago

I took this pic the day I planted the annuals in the barrels, so they're actually more filled-in by now. But this gives you an idea of how I'm growing my red HTs. The rose in this pot happens to be 'Mirandy', whose flowers nod upon opening.

:-)

~Christopher

{{gwi:301895}}

This post was edited by AquaEyes on Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 0:47

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

The dark red HT I've been recommending to everybody is Oklahoma--gorgeous color, disease-resistant (so far anyway), and fairly good on the re-bloom.

Oklahoma--new plant this season
    {{gwi:283995}}

Kate

• view1ny NY 6-7
    9 years ago

Another vote for Oklahoma (I have 3.) Heavenly scent, black-red outer petals. Absolutely beautiful.

• User
    9 years ago

Take a look at Ascot, which is highly perfumed dark red. The best thing about the bloom is not "classically" highcentered (which does not appeal to me for purely random personal preference) and is cabage-like. The bush (mine on multiflora rootstock) is extremely vigorous, but does get blackspot. The growth in its two year residence in my garden shows it is mixture of small climber, ht and shrub, which, to me, makes it more interesting. It is cold hardy here in Essex County.

Nadadoll posted spectacular Ascot photos. She faces different disease pressure than us, but the pictures show the potential of this rose.

The only other red HT I have experience growing is Firefighter. I cannot seem to be able to get it going. Still a one cane dwarf after two seasons. Other than not cold hardy here, it ought to be a good HT here, at least on paper.

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    9 years ago

I'm really liking Rouge Royale this year. Crazy fragrant and doesn't shrink much in the heat.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH