Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nippstress

Another Mystery striped rose - need ID

Hi folks

Wouldn't you know that after you all helped me ID Papageno from the Rogue Valley mystery roses, I'd have another mystery pop up right near that rose that is also striped. This one has been there a few years and I have absolutely no idea where it came from. I don't recall planting any rose in that spot, so when I saw some rose leaves coming up I tentatively thought it was Dr. Huey from a long-forgotten rose. Basically, I only try to plan thornless roses in this area, and my only guess before it bloomed was a spare Pinky or Caldwell Pink that I had no other spot for.

Well obviously, this isn't either of those roses. It's a low growing red/white stripe, and I can't tell if it wants to climb yet or not. It has been there at least 2 years, but this is the first bloom and it's still a short plant. It might be something that was mislabeled as Caldwell Pink (or whatever), but I can't even ID the source of the plant. If it climbs, it might be Hurdy Gurdy or Berries and Cream. If not, it could be any number of striped roses like Rockin' Robin or Stars 'n' Stripes or even the good Papageno. I don't see any signs of clustering yet, but it's still young. It doesn't strike me as one of the striped HTs, since the form is pretty loose, or any of the OGR striped ones, but as I say I have no clue.

Any ideas, oh striped rose fans?

Cynthia

Comments (27)

• vasue VA
    9 years ago

First reminded me of Fourth of July, which I've seen in person but not grown. But that's supposed to be thorny so you wouldn't have planted that there. Perhaps your roses dropped a fertile hip that's a cross of ones you grow? Pretty!

Here is a link that might be useful: Fourth of July

nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska thanked vasue VA
  • campv 8b AZ
    9 years ago

Raspberry swirl maybe, if its a climber (I have one)

nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska thanked campv 8b AZ
  • nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the guesses so far - I'd be thrilled with either one of them. I'd always thought Fourth of July had more yellow mixed in there, but you're right it does look like that picture. Raspberry Cream Swirl would be most welcome, as a grafted plant of that didn't survive my last winter. It would be great if this were a climber, since it's right next to a support.

I don't want to bias the guesses away from lower floris or shrubs, though. I've posted a photo of the whole 2-3 year old (maybe) plant, and while it doesn't really look much like a climber yet, climbers don't necessarily grow much when young. You can see it's taller than the coral bells, but not quite up to the cross bar of the swing at around 3 feet. There are also a reasonable number of thorns on this one, so whatever I'd thought I was planting that was thornless isn't. It doesn't look like a monster, thank goodness, though for stripes I might overlook even that!

Any more guesses?

Cynthia

Original Author
    9 years ago

If it helps, here's a slightly out of focus shot of the leaves and canes (sorry about the blur - it's in part shade). You can see there are thorns and the leaves look, well, modern is all I can tell.

Cynthia

• bouquet_kansas
    9 years ago

It sure looks like my Fourth of July climber.

Carol

nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska thanked bouquet_kansas
  • jerijen
    9 years ago

Fourth of July does have a good deal of yellow. And it is fearsomely thorny. It is stiffly upright, and "made" to climb.

I don't think this is FoJ -- but I am sorry I cannot suggest a different identity.

nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska thanked jerijen
  • bouquet_kansas
    9 years ago

After looking at my Fourth of July rose......I agree with you
    jerijen that it cant be it .

nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska thanked bouquet_kansas
  • iris_gal
    9 years ago

Rosa Mundi ?
    Berries and Cream ?
    Sheer Stripes ?

Love its colors.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rosa Mundi at HMF

nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska thanked iris_gal
  • jerijen
    9 years ago

No, I don't THINK it is Berries and Cream. Here is B&C looking good (which it really rarely did, here). Climbers that mildew are not my cup of tea. It's gone.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the continued guesses, folks. All of these have something to offer the process, but I still think we may not yet have the right ID. Raspberry Cream Swirl has about the right configuration, but it seems to have a lot more petals when happy. Berries and Cream grows elsewhere in my yard, but when I look at them side by side, B&C is notably pinker. The loose structure is good, though. BTW, sympathies on the mildew Jeri, but B&C does great for me. I'd love it if it were Rosa Mundi or Sheer Stripes, but I get a distinct impression of texture in those rose's leaves, and this one has much more of that smooth texture.

Just to add in some discussion of non-climbers, let me give you my impression of the contrast of this mystery rose against other red-white striped roses in my yard:

Stars 'n' Stripes, Broceliande, Papageno, Fiesta: fuller blooms, more petals
    The Nightwatch - same open pattern but darker red on petals

Rock 'n' Roll is a possibility among what's in my yard, though my impression is still of more petals. I've posted a picture of my bush from last year - what do you think?

Keep the guesses coming if you can - I'm still stumped!

Cynthia

Original Author
    9 years ago

Another possibility is Rockin' Robin, and I've posted a more closeup picture of that one. Both this one and Rock 'n' Roll seem to have more petals, but maybe that comes with maturity of the plant.

Other red/white stripes I have that it probably isn't:
    Neil Diamond, Philatelie - too recent in my yard to have a random cane sprouting, also more double I think

No clues yet, but it's a good mystery to have!

Cynthia

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Oh, I could really fall for 'The Nightwatch,' both for the flower, and for the name.

There's no listed source for it. Disappointing!

Original Author
    9 years ago

Jeri - yep, The Nightwatch is a great rose with really intriguing high contrast. I don't know if the Williams shrubs do well for you, but mine is a trooper coming back each year on the windy edge of my zone 4 pocket in the front yard.

But all is not lost - I got mine from Roses Unlimited in 2009, and while they're not on their current listings for this year, they're still listed in HMF for the Nightwatch. Might be worth dropping Pat a line to see if she still has the mother plant and will be propagating it.

Just adding to the enabling with the photo - I love the variability between each and every bloom! You never know what you'll get, but it's lovely.

Cynthia

• jerijen
    9 years ago

AH! I can dream of roses I cannot "afford" to own -- not because of $$$, but because of water . . .

• rosaholicme
    9 years ago

Looks like Scentimental

nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska thanked rosaholicme
  • jerijen
    9 years ago

No. Not enough petals for Scentimental.

Here's a particularly dark bloom of Scentimental, so you get an idea of the form and the petallage.

• countrygirlsc, Upstate SC
    8 years ago

I would have loved it if it had been Sheer Stripes too, since it is no longer in commerce and I lost mine.

nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska thanked countrygirlsc, Upstate SC
  • mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    8 years ago

It reminds me a lot of my Flamingo Dancer. Don't have too many pictures of it as it is in its first year and on its own root. With my summer temps, it has been sulking but I am starting to see that it is pushing out new leaves. I have high hopes for this beauty.

There is also another climber rose by the name of ??? Dancer. My brain has been on overload all week so I am not recalling the first part of the name. It has more of the darker pink in it. Burling had both but I went with the one that she bred. She is gorgeous.

nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska thanked mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Wow, thanks for resurrecting this thread, folks! I'm still pretty clueless about this rose, and to make matters worse it hasn't bloomed at all that I can catch this year (but seemed to survive the winter). That might argue against it being the very lovely Shadow Dancer mustbnuts (great picture!), since that one has refused to overwinter at least twice for me in a nearby bed. I'm presuming that was the other Burlington rose you couldn't think of. Flamengo Dancer has indeed overwintered for me, but at least in my yard it's a bit lighter pink than the mystery striped rose I started with after all this. I'd call this one hot pink toward the crimson side for my mystery one.

Odds are against it being Sheer Stripes sadly, country girl, as I would have ordered it if it had been available from any nursery I buy from in the last 10 years. I'm leaning toward calling it a climber, partly because it has been such a reluctant bloomer in its first three years now, but it's just a guess. If I ever get another bloom, I'll post it for comparison. If I don't get another bloom, I guess the label doesn't matter, since the point of having a particular named rose is eventually seeing it bloom

Thanks for the help

Cynthia

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

You know, the more I look at pictures of Stars and Stripes, I think that might be the rose you have. Sure is a pretty thing. I think Starts and Stripes is a Ralph Moore rose? I tend to love his roses. They do so well where I live, but then again, his nursery was just about 40 miles or so from me.

nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska thanked mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks mustbnuts - we'll see if the later blooms of this rose (assuming there are any) turn out to have more petals, then it will look more like my Stars and Stripes (or Papageno, for that matter). The coloring certainly is a good match, but at least my S&S is more double than the photo seen. S&S is a tall rose, which would explain some of the lanky growth at first - I agree that this is a very nice rose. We'll see if we get any further blooms this season - we only have a month of blooming time to go, so it'd better hurry up if it's going to do something.

Cynthia

• ac91z6
    6 years ago

Was the mystery ever solved? Did the rose ever bloom again? I found this thread browsing information on striped roses and now I'm curious about this mystery z5 striped rose!

nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska thanked ac91z6
  • ebharvey1
    6 years ago

Just out of curiousity, why wouldn't everyone immediately assume its a seedling? That seems like the logical, likely answer, no?

nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska thanked ebharvey1
  • AquaEyes 7a NJ
    6 years ago

Rogue Valley Roses is a nursery which offers free "mystery roses" as a bonus -- 1 for every 4 roses ordered, for a maximum of 3 mystery roses per order. These roses are supposedly those which lost their labels -- so, presumably, they'd be roses normally carried in their inventory, just not labeled. Some people enjoy unraveling the mystery of identifying them.

:-)

~Christopher

nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska thanked AquaEyes 7a NJ
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Funny you should ask, Ac91z6! I was just noticing this bush in the garden yesterday and remarking to myself that a) it's still here, and b) it hasn't bloomed. It's in mostly shade, so I know that's why it doesn't bloom more often, but I still think it should have had a bloom or two in the last few years! It's still roughly knee high or a little above, which indicates probably a floribunda in my world rather than (say) a climber. I've stuck the label "Hurdy Gurdy" on it though since that's the closest my guesses got at the time and I happened to have a spare tag of one that had died. It's nowhere near as robust or tall as Rock n Roll or Stars n Stripes or even Papageno in my yard, so I'm leaning against it being one of the hardier shrub types.

Christopher has the process at RV described well and he's right that I enjoy the challenge of the mystery ID. They don't propagate rose seedlings as far as I know, so it most likely has a name, I just don't know it. I have a (probable) dark pink hybrid perpetual that was free from them two years ago that is just about to put out its annual bloom (yes, one bloom a year). I need to pop out into the garden to catch it since I still have no idea of its name. A lot of roses stay below waist (or even knee) high in zone 5 so it can make ID a little challenging. Still, that's part of the fun!

Cynthia

Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks for the additional problem solving, Beth! I used to have Gypsy Fire from Eurodesert but it wasn't particularly hardy in my zone and has been long gone. As tough as this little plant has been for 4+ years I don't think I realized reading my notes that I can't guarantee this rose was a free RV rose however, since I don't remember what I planted there. I appreciate the advice to ask RV, but while I love their roses dearly I don't find that the folks answering the phones or emails are typically all that knowledgeable about the roses. This spring they sent me Ingrid Bergman (a dark red rose) instead of the Ingrid that I'd ordered (orange with yellow hilites Mander rose), and it took some discussion to convince them these weren't the same rose. They did give me the credit for the error, but I don't think distinguishing among possible striped roses would be likely from the staff I've encountered.

Theoretically Ebharvey may be correct that this could be a seedling, but I've never had any other seedling grow in my yard in 10 or more years and 1000+ roses, so it would be odd if the only seedling I got was a nice striped one like this. Far more likely given the planting frenzy that happens in my yard in spring is that I planted this and forgot to label it some years ago. I remember trying to replace Gypsy Fire from someone but that was unsuccessful, and I wouldn't have put it in an out of the way place like this. I don't recall ever ordering JH Pierneef, but given your lovely photos I certainly would if the opportunity presented itself. I seem to recall the color being on the crimson side of red rather than orange tones, but the photo you see from back in (gasp) 2014 was the last bloom picture I have and the last bloom I remember seeing.

Well, I suppose if it doesn't bloom I can call it Cynthia's Darling (or whatever I want) and no one will be able to contradict me. It's unobtrusive and stays tucked in some clematis most of the season so it stays by default. Still, it is a nagging little mystery that surprisingly after 3 years still isn't resolved. I'll keep a special eye out for it this season and see if I get any new blooms.

Thanks as always for the problem solving!

Cynthia