Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eaj09

Teasing Georgia concern from Merrygro

eaj09
16 years ago

Couple months ago I bought several roses from Merrygro at their 33% off sale. I bought seven roses in all, including Teasing Georgia. The rest were hybrid teas.

All of them have sinced bloomed - except for Teasing G. That one has grown and grown long canes, and still hasn't bloomed yet. In fact, I would be suspicious it was a Dr. Huey climber, but it's on fort stock. I don't know anything about fort stock, if it's a climber or not.

My previous experience with my other Austins were short, compact bushes. (except for my Ben Britten, who is a monster)

Do any of your Teasing Georgias grow this tall? I'm just getting worried it's an off-cultivar climber. I don't know if they guarantee it, and if they did, it would be my burden to ship the stupid thing back...

Comments (27)

• anntn6b
    16 years ago

Fortuniana is a vigorous grower with very seriously sharp thorns. The leaves are bright green and individual leaflets are thinner and the toothed edges are less pronounced than HT or other Austin roses.

• buford
    16 years ago

TG is a rambler/climber. I have mine on a 7 foot umbrella trellis and it covers the whole thing. You can prune it, but it will keep going.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    16 years ago

When I had TG, the first year it only grew canes and leaves, maybe two blooms. It kinda wanted to bloom the following year, but croaked. It wants to be a climber, and I can't even imagine what a beast it would be grafted on Fort. "Short and compact" it ain't. Don't assume that all Austins have the same habit, they vary widely.

• kaye
    16 years ago

Teasing Georgia evidently was named by Austin as such as she "teases" you waiting for her to bloom! Give her a few years until she catches up growing and she'll bloom fairly well..after she eats the surrounding area. Pruned hard, she may not bloom a lot better (I've tried both) but at least she quit bothering the neighbors. The blooms are quite pretty but,like a lot of Austins, she can get out of control easily. She's another slow starter and may be worth the wait for you. Mine is grafted from Austin..

• michellesg
    16 years ago

I purchased 2 own root TG's from the J&P sale 8 weeks ago and they are growing like nuts, lots of canes, 2ft tall and 2 1/2 ft wide. All the other Austin bare roots I got from the sale are growing well and have blooms on them but TG is by far the largest but no blooms. Maybe next year!

• Noni Morrison
    16 years ago

My Teasing Georgia is absolutely gorgeous...it grows on my fence where I have it spread out atleast 8' wide and it grows atleast 8 feet tall which is as tall as I can keep it pruned to..in other words, I prune it down to about 5' and when it finishes blooming it is about 8' tall before pruning again, but it must carry thousands of beautiful roses in large sprays on it when it does bloom! They last most of June for me, and it will flush again in August. The flowers are a lovely shade that varies from a pale creamsicle orange to a soft yellow cream.The flowers also hold up well in the vase for Austins when they are picked just as they start to open. The fragrance is pleasant but not overwhelming. It is a wonderful rose if you have room for it.

• buford
    16 years ago

Here is my TG this spring (really the 2nd flush, the first got zapped in the freeze). I did hack it back a lot last fall because it was just too overwhelming and was snagging people coming up the walk way.

{{gwi:266986}}

• jeanne_texas
    16 years ago

Buford..Yours is so pretty..
    Eaj..you really need to give DA Climbing rosa "Teasing Georgia" time and she'll be a real jewel in your garden..she is definitely a climber in my part of the world...this was her when she was 2 years old
    {{gwi:312424}}
    {{gwi:312425}}
    Then I built a pergola and she decided she wanted to start covering it as well!!
    {{gwi:312426}}
    {{gwi:312427}}
    She is now 4 years old and rules!!
    {{gwi:312428}}
    {{gwi:312429}}
    {{gwi:312430}}
    Her color varies as she mentioned such a delicious rose!@!
    {{gwi:312431}}

• banders
    16 years ago

Jeanne, is that just ONE??? Or is it one on each side of the arch? She's just gorgeous!

Barbara

• jeanne_texas
    16 years ago

Barbara..you are correct ..that is two..one on each side of the rose arbor..thanks...Jeanne

• the_morden_man
    16 years ago

Teasing Georgia is a rose that has intrigued me since our visit to DA's gardens in England. It was one of the more outstanding yellow's in that climate and suffered little BS compared to some of the other DA roses.

How cane hardy and/or crown hardy is Teasing Georgia for some of you? Do any cold zoners grow this rose in zone 6 and below that can comment?

Here are some pics of Teasing Georgia from DA's gardens. I quickly uploaded them to post here. Enjoy.

This 1st pic is The Pilgrim on the left and Teasing Georgia on the right. The building was at least 14' high.
    {{gwi:312432}}

Next two pics are Teasing Georgia trained on the top of the post and wire and Graham Thomas planted underneath.

{{gwi:312434}}

{{gwi:312435}}

• banders
    16 years ago

the_morden_man, the second picture is how I want to train mine--laterally on a fence. Thanks for posting these pictures.

Barbara

• gdooley
    16 years ago

As exhibited by the fantastic pictures posted previously, Teasing Georgia is a great rose for some people so you should probably give it some time and see how it does in your area. My experience has not been that great. Like yours, mine was on fortuniana. I had it for five years and I believe that I got two decent flushes the entire time. And I tried everything: severe pruning, training laterals, just letting it ramble and nothing seemed to make it bloom. It grew to be literally 14 feet tall and 8 feet wide. I finally got rid of it... taking up too much space for too few blooms.
    FWIW,
    Glenn

• rosarama
    16 years ago

I also got TG in the Merrygro sale. I had no idea she got so huge. She has put out about two blooms but is getting bigger every day. I went and bought a 5-ft trellis but she has already covered it - I just did not expect her to be such a giant. She looks healthy, though - I only wish I had planted her by a fence or a gate.

• eaj09
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow, I had no idea that TG was such a climber! The description from Merrygro said 3'-4', so I thought, OK, another little Austin.

I have mine in a pot, so next spring I will plant it next to a trellis or similar. Thanks to all for the great information, it really helps.

• buford
    16 years ago

Jeanne, great pics, I love the combo with the clematis. I now have my native passiflora incarnata growing with TG. The color combo is nice.

My TG tends to bloom in flushes, great spring flushes and sporadic in the summer than another fall flush. She is usually a jb magnet, but has been spared this year.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    16 years ago

I bought my Teasing Georgia in a 5-gallon pot at a local nursery when it was in bloom about two months ago. The leaves were mildewed but this has resolved with washing them off with a hose and there are buds on the rose again. She's about 3 feet tall at the most and has no long canes as yet. The flowers are identical to those on the climbers pictured on the forum. It's all rather puzzling.

• canadian_rose
    16 years ago

Wow!!! Now that's a rose bush!! Absolutely stunning rose! I, too, am interested if any northerners have overwintered this rose.

Carol

• buford
    16 years ago

ingrid, it took a few years for mine to start putting out really long canes. The first 2 years I treated it as a unruly shrub, but then it was too much to contain. So instead of fighting it, I decided to give it something to climb on.

• jeanne_texas
    16 years ago

Morden are you sure you don't have those backwards?..The ones pointed out at TG sure are pale..Mine never look that pale even right before they blow...Jeanne

• peachiekean
    16 years ago

I am loving all these teasing georgia pics! This one is a monster but with the prettiest flowers. All I can say is give it room.

• michellesg
    16 years ago

I checked the bare root J&P TG that I said was not blooming yet (planted a month ago) and it now has buds. Maybe it is the root stock.

• Marylou921
    9 years ago

TG has been in my garden for over 6 years, it rarely bloom, I spent so much $$$ fertilizing to encourage bloom but instead it grow so large and healthy but never give an abundant flowers. Anyone please advice.

• lori_elf z6b MD
    9 years ago

My Teasing Georgia took a hit this winter with some damage but is filling out again. In most years she grows 6' tall and about 5' wide here, self-supporting. I would say that now she's mature she repeat blooms very well.

Marylou, if yours is growing large but not blooming, maybe you are overfeeding it too much nitrogen? I give mine some Rosetone in early spring which is a balanced organic fertilizer, but that's the only fertilizing I usually do. And it repeat blooms wells after a good first flush.

• Kyle S
    6 years ago

@mellmel is that Princess Alexandra of Kent next to you TG?

• rosesmi5a
    6 years ago

Here in central Michigan, (zone 5 a-b), TG is one of the first roses that have thrived for me --rather than just survived. It took about three years to get going well, but it definitely is worth the time. I don't spray -- it has no blackspot. I don't winter protect -- it easily grows to 6-7 feet by the end of summer. I just pruned it back yesterday to 24-30 ". One huge flush in the spring, scattered summer blooms that the Japanese beetles love, and a grand finale. It is growing in an area that I raised up about 18" from our clay, and I supplemented its soil with plenty of peat, sand and manure. I like to cut the flowers -- they are pretty but rather weakly scented and not particularly long lasting when cut, but they are beautiful. It's a keeper for sure!

Sunny

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?