Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karenforroses

Windermere

karenforroses
12 years ago

Wow! i bought David Austin's Windermere towards the end of the summer last year from one of our excellent nurseries in town. It has just taken off this spring like gangbusters! Look at all the buds on that girl, and the blooms are the most lovely shade of cream, with that wonderful old English form. I'm in love!

{{gwi:312594}}

Comments (14)

• jumbojimmy
    12 years ago

Do you have some close up pics of Windermere? I saw this rose once at the nursery and it looked beautiful, but i didn't purchase it. Maybe it's because David Austin didn't market/advertise this rose enough.

• karenforroses
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'll get some close ups - they were just starting to open when I took this picture a couple of days ago, but there are some fully opened ones now. They have the wonderful petal-packed old English form you see on so many Austins. I'll get the camera out today.

• the_dark_lady
    12 years ago

Karen, wonderful photo of a wonderful rose!!!
    'Windermere' is my absolute favorite white English rose. I probably have nine or ten of them in my garden.
    Very pleasing bushy growth, hundreds of blooms, great repeat, fragrance to die for... Oh, remarkable disease resistance.

I have lots of pictures of this rose, both closeups and whole bush shots (please see the link below).

Here are just a few:

{{gwi:312595}}

{{gwi:312596}}

{{gwi:312597}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Windermere photos @ my Photobucket

• harborrose_pnw
    12 years ago

Those are really beautiful pics, Karen and Dark Lady.

• Terry Crawford
    12 years ago

Karen, my Winderemere is in its 4th year and it's absolutely huge....it took off like gangbusters this year and is easily 4x4. I severely underestimated the space between the adjoining neighbors, and now have a wee crowding issue. It really overwinters well also; not too much cane dieback. Very hardy down here in central Illinois.

• karenforroses
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Terryjean! Maybe I don't have to have two - one may take the place of two if mine grows like yours is. We're both zone 5, and I usually find Austins to be quite hardy, so I'l enjoy seeing how big Wintermere gets.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    12 years ago

I have a couple of them. Repeat is quick, fragrance is good, but the flowers are very ephemeral--two to three days at most. Other than that I like it a lot.

• karenforroses
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You're right about ephemeral (love the term - much nicer than 'blows quickly'). In a way it is a good thing the blooms don't last too long because there are so many it would weigh down the canes. The other new Austin I put in is Princess Alexandra of Kent - it's blooms last and last and last.

• jumbojimmy
    12 years ago

I always get confused with the words, 'ephemeral' and 'ethereal.'

So ephemeral means, 'lasting a very short time'.

What does 'ethereal' means? The dictionary says, 'extremely delicate or refined.' Not sure exactly what that means. I assume it means when you see something that is ethereal, you immediately think of angels and heaven.

• the_morden_man
    12 years ago

Karen, lovely pictures.

If you'll allow me to enable in a similiar colour theme...go get yourself a Lion's Fairytale from Palatine for next spring. ;)

• karenforroses
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh Morden Man - I've been thinking about Lion's Fairytale from Palatine for a couple of years - now you've gone and enabled me.

• the_morden_man
    12 years ago

Karen,

You will love Lion's Fairytale. Surprisingly hardy, superb disease resistance, strong rounded growth with large white/cream blooms that hold well in wind and rain and once established, it is rarely out of bloom... It is one of the best of what is already a great series of roses.

• theodosiaunderwood
    10 years ago

I purchased Windermere today. I am hoping to use it in breeding. Does it ever produce hips for you?