Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
racin_rose

Trying an interesting new Insect Control

racin_rose
10 years ago

So my dad...who is a gardener of a different sort...is raving about this stuff he's using to control spider mites, thrips, gnats, and other nasties. I have been battling thrips and caterpillars just a bit, they seem to be laughing at the spray I use. They die on contact, but as soon as it dries more come back, and I don't want them to get out of control. I'm also concerned about ruining my blooms by dousing them in chemicals...so I'm going to try this stuff. It sounds pretty interesting, because instead of spraying it on...you feed it to the plant.

From Sierra Natural Science's website:

"SNS 209 Systemic Insect Control

Water it in, Wipes em outâ¢

SNS-209⢠provides a barrier for plants to protect them against damaging insects. The SNS-209⢠barrier is harmless to the plant but distasteful to mites and other insects.
SNS-209⢠Systemic Insect Control is made up of 100% pure botanical extracts that are highly water soluble. The botanical extracts are all food grade GRAS (generally recognized as safe) materials.
SNS-209⢠Systemic Insect Control is exempt from EPA registration under minimum risk pesticide exempted under FIFRA section 25(b).

Spider mites, White flies, Nematodes, Scales and other insects destroy plant cells by sucking out their fluids or chewing up the cell walls. SNS-209â¢âÂÂs unique formula works by allowing the plant to uptake a small amount of rosemeric acid from the rosemary plant. As the plant distributes the rosemeric acid throughout its cell walls, a barrier is soon constructed. When an insect starts to suck or chew on the plant it comes in contact with the rosemeric acid and causes the insect to stop eating and move on."

I called a local store *of that sort* to see if they had it in stock. The guy said, "oh, yeah we order that stuff every week because we run out of it so fast...we have to keep it in stock all the time." So, I'm optimistic that it will work. It's not cheap, but a little goes a long way.

I'll be sure to post progress and experiences with "SNS 209." The majority of my roses are in large pots, so I think it's a good option for me.

What say you, knowledgeable rose folk?

http://sierranaturalscience.com/products/natural-pesticides/sns-209

Comments (2)