Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sara_ann_gw

Beautiful Aloha

sara_ann-z6bok
9 years ago

When my roses are blooming I always check them out before dark. My Climbing Aloha has a few blooms on it right now and I think the one pictured here is the prettiest one I've ever seen on it. I've had my Aloha for about 12 years.

Comments (16)

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    9 years ago

Soooooo beautiful!! I bet that baby is gorgeous during its spring flush!! Judy

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Judy - Thank you. Truthfully, the roses are beautiful, the bush itself needs some work, I love climbers, but I am not very good with them.

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

It looks gorgeous!

• canadian_rose
    9 years ago

I agree - I am just terrible at climbing roses. I just let my hardy climber grow into a bush.

That is a STUNNING Aloha!! I just love it!!! Wow!!!
    Thanks for the look,
    Carol

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Seil and Carol.

• michaelg
    9 years ago

This is the 1949 'Aloha', not the recent Kordes one.

Still one of the best short climbers-- large, fragrant flowers on cutting stems, plant resistant to blackspot in many gardens, cane hardy to 5b, good repeat. I am very fond of my old girl.

It has a somewhat shrubby, upright habit of growth. The flowers have the bullnose/proliferation defect during first flush some years, depending on weather.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Michael - Glad to know that info about the first flush, because that is apparently what happens to mine some years, seems to happen if we've had a lot of rain. Other than that it is a great rose bush with beautiful blooms.

• view1ny NY 6-7
    9 years ago

Sara-ann, could you post a pic of the entire bush? I'd love to see what it looks like.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

View1ny - During the spring flush I kept trying to get a good picture of my Aloha, it had quite a few blooms and looked pretty good, but it was difficult for me to get a picture of the whole thing that looked good. This is a partial shot. The roses are beautiful, but I truly am not very good with climbers. I just need to hire someone to help me with them. Maybe someone who truly can grow climbers will see this and post a really good picture.

This post was edited by Sara-Ann on Fri, Jul 4, 14 at 7:41

• view1ny NY 6-7
    9 years ago

Sara-Ann, what I see looks great to me. I wonder if you could somehow secure the bottoms of the 2 left-leaning canes to the other upright-standing canes so that the tops of those canes will be able to curve over to the left (sort of in an urn shape.)

When I moved into my current house, there was a 6' tall pink rose with naked legs and a few gorgous flowers at the top only. I thought it might be Aloha, but it didn't grow the way yours did. It didn't survive the move to another spot in my garden so I was hoping to replace it.

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

It looks big and healthy to me!

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you both, I appreciate it. Mine is big and healthy, I just need to do something to make it more attractive.

• lesmc
    9 years ago

Just lovely. Sara Ann, you have an amazing green thumb. I can hardly wait to open your posts and enjoy your beautiful garden. Outstanding! Lesley

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lesley - What a lovely thing to say, thank you. I look forward to seeing your posts too, you've posted some beautiful pics on here and I am anxious to see more!

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    9 years ago

Having lost almost all of my climbers to RRV over the years, (the most recent went this Tuesday), I'm left with one lone Aloha. I have an arch and originally had one on each side trained to go over it. Aloha is a shorter grower and it works quite well on the 8 foot arch never overwhelming it as some climbers can do. Now I don't do ladders anymore so I maintain the lone survivor as a tall shrub. This last Aloha has been in the ground since around 1988 and even with RMV (rose mosaic virus) it's still prolific and winter hardy. It's only fault is the the buds as they first begin to unfurl open up in the center and if we have rain, it can collect in the centers causing them to rot out. It has had better then average disease resistance for me too....Coincidently there is a daylily called Pink Aloha that is drop dead gorgeous. A good name for a rose apparently as well as a daylily....Maryl
    {{gwi:312768}}

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Maryl - Thank you for sharing about your Aloha. That daylily is gorgeous!

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource