Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are you drawn to a certain color of rose?

Posted by Sara-Ann z6b OK (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 25, 14 at 22:24

Sometimes I wonder how I seem to end up with so many pink roses. The color I have the 2nd most of is red and I still have more than twice as many pink. Most of the other colors I have one-third less or fewer of those. I even tell myself I need to slow down on the pink, but then I see one I think I have to have. Yesterday I looked on the Regan website and one of the new 2015 roses is a climber called Pretty In Pink Eden, I was smitten. I do that with other colors too, but not nearly as much.

Do you have a certain color or colors you gravitate to? I love them all, it just seems like I must like pink roses the most.

This post was edited by Sara-Ann on Fri, Jul 25, 14 at 22:32

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are you drawn to a certain color of rose?

Yup - PINK! The stronger the better. LOL
Pink just sends me. I especially like the darker pink in the front left of your picture. What rose is it?
Carol

o

For me it's "soft" colors.

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 0:07

The largest number of mine are classed as pink, next would be red, but that's deceiving. Almost all of those are bi-colors of one sort or another. I seem to always go for the ones with more than one color as opposed to the solids. For I while I was very drawn to the orange/apricots too but that's tapered off I think. Truthfully, I don't think I've ever seen a color I really didn't like. Well, maybe The Green Rose, lol.

o

I probably prefer white, light or blush pink, and dark red that can appear purple the most in that order. Apricot and oddities (Distant Drums, Pam's Choice, Cafe, et cet.) would round out my top 5.

I don't really grow many true reds with the exception of Home Run and now Baron Girod de l'Ain which is both not "true red" with its piping and an experiment more than a rose I expect to do well. White is one of my favorite colors for flowers of any sort and it probably helps living in an area where white snow never covers precious greenery for months of the year. My absolute favorite rose bloom belongs to Madame Hardy.

I think there are bound to be so many pinks amongst our favorites because there are so many pink roses period. If I had to guess more pink roses are released than any other color by a sizable margin.

That said, just about any color can produce a wonderful rose.

Jay

This post was edited by ArbutusOmnedo on Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 23:24

o

Thanks everyone.

Carol - The darker pink one is Pink Peace. I'm not sure which pinks are my favorite, I like most of them. Seil - I agree on the ones with more than one color, some of those are really nice. And Jay, yes I thought of that there are more pink roses released, it definitely seems to be the dominate color in roses. Maybe that is why I like roses so much in the first place. I am liking white roses more and more, they are truly lovely. Ken, I agree that the softer tones are more appealing for the most part, although sometimes there are exceptions

o

I have way more pink ones than anything else but its honestly because they were on sale....LOL I prefer bi-colors

o

Oh yes. There are quite a few exceptions in my garden. Munstead Wood, Dark Night, Charisma and Remember Me are just a few to throw a little "HELLO" into the garden.

o

Pink is not my favorite color for a rose, though I certainly have some. Usually, if I were to pick out one rose whose color I prefer, I'd immediately jump for Munstead Wood--that dark velvet purple-burgundy red is incredible! I could swoon!

However, other than MW, what really gets my heart singing is YELLOW (bi-color with lots of yellow in there works also). Just this morning while making coffee, I glanced out the kitchen window and spotted a bit of yellow in the back garden which had been yellow-less for several weeks. Before I could even form a coherent thought, a gasp burst out and a big long ectastic sigh as I whispered to myself---"Ooooh! Molineux just opened this morning!" And my heart gave a little leap for joy.

I'm not kidding that is what yellows can do to me. A Peace rose with its pastel yellow-cream-flushed pink petals elicits the same response, and much as I love my red roses in the red bed, as I call it, a happy thrill always goes through me when in the midst of all that red I notice a brighter yellow from Berolina is also blooming.

The yellows (with lots of apricot) of Lady of Shalott are wonderful too, but she sometimes pushes it a bit too much toward the apricot--still lovely, however.

Interesting thing is that I don't really have that many yellow roses in my garden, although the 7 little yellow minis (Sweet Diana) certainly do provide dots of yellow throughout the garden.

Am I the only yellow lover?

Kate

o

No, no, not I, McFly. I only have eleventy hundred pink roses by accident.

:)

o

I love yellow too! I always try to have yellow smewhere in my yard and garden because it makes me happy to see that bright spot of yellow, pretty much the way Kate described. I have lots of pink because their just seems to be more pink roses. I also love the oranges that have yellow mixes in like my Chihuly and strike it rich. I also really like white and purple colors.

o

• Posted by jim1961 6a Central Pa. (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 16:51

Red or orange...

o

I'm a yellow person too, Kate! I absolutely love rich, golden yellows like my Julia Child. I am hoping that with time my Golden Celebration will develop more golden yellow tones instead of the pastel yellow it has been giving me so far. I bought a tiny little Graham Thomas from the most recent sale at Heirloom, and hopefully he will perform well for me because the photos I've seen of him in full bloom are incredible. In recent months I have also realized I seem to be an apricot person too, especially the apricots that have lots of yellow in them such as Lady of Shalott & Lady Emma Hamilton, I can't seem to get enough of them.

When I first started growing roses I said I would never get pink, pink isn't one of my favorite colors & it seems that whenever I see roses around or in photos they are mostly pink. I told myself I would only have my small bed of yellows and oranges and be different.... That was until I stuck my nose into a Jubilee Celebration at my local greenhouse, I immediately swooned and had to bring it home. It seems like pink roses more frequently have a stronger fragrance than other colors tend to. Since buying JC pink roses have grown on me a little so I decided to add a few more fragrant pinks to my garden. I purchased a Benjamin Britten from Heirloom during the summer sale & this fall I will be receiving Abe Darby & Mme Isaac P. from Antique Rose Emporium.

I do love deep reds in small doses, they add such beautiful contrast to the softer yellows and oranges. Munstead Wood and Darcy Bussell are two of my favs.

If I could find a truly purple rose that is fully double, healthy, and a frequent bloomer I would be in love, but it seems like those 3 qualities are impossible to find in any truly purple rose. Ebb Tide is working alright for me, but it is a little stingy & it doesn't really have that cupped, full form I would like to see. & from what I hear twilight zone is even stingier.

It seems that my "small garden of yellows & oranges" is slowly turning into a much larger garden of rainbow chaos & I kind of love it.

Jessica

o

Sara-Ann - no wonder I love that pink so much - I have Pink Peace and just love it.

There are so many pink roses because that is the default setting for the genetics.

Carol

o

Pink on the cool side of the spectrum is my favorite color, closely followed by the lavenders and purples. I must admit that I really dislike the true reds. Striped pink and white roses are also wonderful, and I also like cream and white. I like soft yellows, but the stronger ones don't really fit into my garden that has a backdrop of wild hills.

o

Overall, I like warm tones, except in red roses, then usually I like the cooler (bluer) tones. I am sure there are some exceptions, usually in the pinks.

o

I soooooo love the pinks, peachy apricots and creams. Loving lots of purples too. Trying to shift the yellows, reds and oranges out of my gardens. There's lots of pretty roses those colors but I prefer the others. This is a great thread Sara Ann!!

o

I've enjoyed reading all the responses, thank you all very much. DrPekeMom, do you have a picture of your roses? Would love to see one. Even though I do have more pink than anything, I still love to have the other colors mixed in. Lately, I've been thinking a lot about the lavenders, I have a few but not many. I love Paradise, but I don't have one. I've also been trying to decide between Blue Moon, Blue Girl or Charles De Gaulle or maybe Neptune. I do love the way Love Song looks in the landscape, it's a beautiful rose. I also love the way my Julia Child roses look when they're in bloom, they pop! I'm not sure about the deeper hued purples, I planted Twilight Zone and have had a few blooms, but with the heat I can't really tell how pretty they are going to be, maybe in the fall I can tell. I wouldn't want to do without my reds or the orange and apricot colors either. I will admit that the rich hue of a rose like Munstead Wood is so beautiful. So, I want more pink roses than others, but definitely wouldn't want to be without the other colors.

o

Sounds like we have a lot of fans of pink, which is a great color to love as a rose fanatic since roses come in an infinite variety of pinks. For me, I love deeply saturated colors in most things including roses. I want garden colors that have a depth to them, and for the most part the truly deep black-burgundies make my heart sing when they're good. When they're not good, they're a dime-a-dozen hot pink, but that's what you get when you love the unusual colors. I agree with Kate that Munstead Wood is worth the swoon, as are Francis Dubreuil and Darcy Bussell, for the burgundy-purples. Among the true burgundies, Messire Delbard, LavaGlut, and Nigrette are among the deepest heart-stopping reds for me.

I also love the deeply saturated apricot-yellow-pink combinations of several of the mutable roses. Gilbert Becaud stops my heart whenever he's in bloom, and I admit to loving the mutable brassiness of Mardi Gras, Cinco de Mayo, and Disneyland. The other colors that draw me are the high contrast flowers, particularly the stripes and picotees. Needless to say, much of this is why there are a lot of modern roses in my yard, but there are OGRs that can give saturated colors a run for their money - just look at Reine des Violette or the delicious Madame Isaac Periere.

Below is Gilbert Becaud in all his gaudy glory.

Cynthia

o

My first thought was Pink ! Of course ! I love it in everything . But apricots are my newest love . Have you seen tamora glow in the morning sun ? Just beautiful. I also added carding mill and Desiree from heirloom. Yum.

o

Cynthia - Gilbert Becaud has a lovely color combination, not gaudy at all, looks like a beautiful rose. I'm new to Old Garden roses and agree with you on Mme Isaac Pereire and Reine des Violettes, especially Reine des Violettes. When mine bloomed I thought it was about the most beautiful rose I've ever seen. I'm not sure if its beauty can be captured on camera and don't know if it looks the same for everyone, but mine was breathtaking.

o

I tend to buy and keep what I think will grow here but my favorite color is apricot. I have only several and wish I had more.

o

Before I switched to a "no spray" garden, my favorite color for the front of the house was red and white. I circled the planting area with white and placed red roses in different areas.

.I have come to like white. I still love the reds, but not many of them are "no spray", and so many whites are. I like the whites at night, and they go well with the white crape myrtles. (In Oklahoma many roses look white even if they are supposed to be other colors because the heat seems to fade them. For example: Penelope.

I do like the apricots, and really all the colors. Often I try to avoid pinks because I have so many, but I want something that is the right size, and easy care, so I may order a pink.

Carefree Sunshine is the only yellow that works for me, and standing alone, it does not seem that outstanding. Julia Child was too bright in my garden next to my Perle' d Or plants. (spelling here is off). It died anyway, so I only have one yellow.

Sammy

o

I love really deep, dark reds. I have Munstead Wood, Darcey Bussell, Mr. Lincoln and Don Juan. In the front of the house, I'm grouping brighter colors, mostly HTs and floribundas -- Chihuly, Granada, Trumpeter, Easy Going,
Pink Peace came with the house. I do have 3 Tamoras out there -- unstoppable even in the heat.
I love really, really pale pink roses -- like Queen of Sweden, which I have in the back. Marie Van Houtte varies from unsullied cream to darkish pink and everything in between. I like surprises.
Sylvia

o

I have to go with the lavenders, especially after getting Charles de Gaulle last year.

o

Charles De Gaulle is truly a lovely rose, the lavenders are growing on me. The color palette for roses is truly amazing, The reds, dark reds and other richly colored tones and the whites add so much to the landscape. To me roses are never boring!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here