Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sara_ann_gw

Which roses are your best so far?

sara_ann-z6bok
9 years ago

I've been thinking about the roses that have been doing really well for me recently. My top three at this time would have to be Pink Peace, Tiffany and Belinda's Dream. There are others that rate right up there too. Pink Peace has performed so well for me, I didn't even think it was that great of a rose until recently, even though I've always thought it was beautiful and loved the fragrance. Tiffany is so elegant and its fragrance is wonderful. Belinda's Dream is such a good bloomer and always looks pretty, haven't detected much fragrance yet, but I can forgive that with all its other attributes.

Others that have been top performers are Peace, Sunsprite, Love Song, The McCartney Rose, Perfume Delight, Tropicana, Liebeszauber and Big Momma., these are all performing wonderfully so far. Only roses that I consider good bloomers and reasonably disease resistant made this list. I have several new ones that look promising, but don't know enough yet to judge them. I know this list could change. Would love to know about your top performers.

First picture is Pink Peace

Comments (46)

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

BELINDA'S DREAM

This post was edited by Sara-Ann on Thu, Jul 10, 14 at 22:56

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

Sara--you have some lovely hybrid teas there!

My standard favorites come up on this list also--except Lady of Shalott who is taking a long rest between blooming cycles for some reason. I must check her tomorrow and see if she is getting enough water.

Here are my best ones actually blooming right now, but I have a couple (Braveheart, Red Intuition, Molineux) that should break into re-bloom in the next week. Normally they would rank near the top of any list.

Todays Best Roses:
    Here's no surprise--Munstead Wood remains one of my super-best. Floriferous and disease-resistant --and the color of those blooms is gorgeous!
    {{gwi:217616}}

Mystic Beauty (Bourbon)--the brutal winter about did her in and she is a bit on the short and weak side this year, but she still manages almost every day to put out one or two blooms, and they are exquisite. Disease-resistant also.
    {{gwi:313308}}

Here's one that deserves more attention--one of my three Eutins--one of the most dependable roses there is--our brutal winter did not phase it--very disease-resistant--and as you can see, quite a show-off in the landscape when it is in bloom.
    {{gwi:313309}}

And, of course, I must include the rose I am currently raving about whenever I get a chance--my little survivor hybrid tea who, after 3 years of "troubles," finally is putting out her first wonderful blooms. She is also fairly disease-resistant.
    {{gwi:313310}}

In the next week or two, roses all over the garden should be bursting into bloom. Most of them have been "resting" between bloom cycles, but a few this year are trying to build up their strength after our brutal winter. It was touch-and-go with several of them--lost a couple, but the others (like Mystic Beauty) look like they will recover with time.

Kate

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kate - Your roses do look lovely, everything is so healthy. I love all of them. There are so many roses I want to try, but reality is setting in and I know I have to limit the number I have.

I have to mention my Zephirine Drouhin. I know I am going to love this rose. I don't know yet how often it is going to put on a show, but the spring flush is well worth the wait. It has had intermittent blooms since then.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

Because of our historic drought, there isn't much to write home about. Bishop's Castle is still blooming and so are two tea roses Le Vesuve and Rosette Delizy. Mlle. de Sombreuil is another champion tea rose. I have few modern roses, but Intrigue and Yves Piaget, which I bought recently, have buds and hopefully will bloom soon.

• pat_bamaz7
    9 years ago

While 99% of my moderns currently look like this:

{{gwi:313311}}

{{gwi:313312}}

IâÂÂm very much appreciating the very few that seem to be escaping fairly unscathed. I have been getting some JBs off of these, too, but nothing to the extent of the othersâ¦so right now, they are my favorites!

Fragrant Cloud (some JB damage, but not too much):

{{gwi:313313}}

Sceptered Isle (minimal JB damage so farâ¦possibly since the blooms only last a day here, they donâÂÂt bother with themâ¦lol):

{{gwi:313314}}

Rouge Royale (I donâÂÂt think IâÂÂve seen a single JB on this one yet..yay!):

{{gwi:313315}}

• Hrose
    9 years ago

best so far Always and Forever this rose has really taken off loads of blooms since I planted it about two months ago

{{gwi:313316}}

{{gwi:313317}}

{{gwi:313319}}

This post was edited by Hrose on Fri, Jul 11, 14 at 14:11

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ingrid - I really feel for you and others dealing with the horrible drought. While we have drought conditions here, it has eased up some and hopefully things will improve. And I sincerely hope they improve in your area soon. Pat - So sorry you are dealing with the Japanese Beetles. Your roses that are fairly unscathed look gorgeous, as always. Hope the situation improves soon. Hrose - Your Always and Forever is lovely, looks like a good bloomer. So far I appreciate everyone's contributions, thanks.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    9 years ago

Great looking roses everyone! :-)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

I'm so sorry to hear the problems experienced by Ingrid and Pat--drought and beetles--yuck!

Amazing how many beautiful roses still manage to bloom anyway. Thanks for letting us know which roses can transcend your garden's "troubles."

Kate

• ehlerslw
    9 years ago

great looking roses. thanks for sharing.

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

My best roses so far as the heat goes is nacadoches and strike it rich with Evelyn not far behind. All have been blooming machines and look great. Sara-ann glad to hear your zephrine is doing so well and producing blooms after the sprig flush, can't wait for mine to bloom next year. Ingrid I wish I could send some rain your way and Pat I don't know what to say about the beetles except I hope they go away soon.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

Sara--your Zeffy is gorgeous! And I really like Always and Forever, Hrose. It looks like it is also very floriferous--a trait I like in a rose!

Kate

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you everyone. Would sure like to hear from more of you on which roses are performing well for you.

• KnoxRose z7
    9 years ago

As always Julia Child is spotless and always covered in cheerful yellow blooms, Shockwave also has been covered with blooms all year without a pause, although they have shrunk some with the onset of summer heat. Rio Samba has been putting out big beautiful flowers almost continuously as well. My new Lady of Shalott has been very impressive with the sheer amount and size of blooms it has had, it has been more in flushes than the others, but for a new rose that was planted a little late in the year this spring as a bare root, I am very impressed with her. And last but not least, Darcy Bussell has been very impressive, especially considering she gets much less sun than the others as she is in a pot on my porch, but she has also just continuously bloomed all year, such a lovely rose with a great fragrance and growth habit.

Jessica

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jessica - That sounds exciting. I like everyone of the roses you mentioned and I am glad they are doing good for you.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

Dinglehopp--your new Austins are some of my favorites also.

Pat--I meant to say earlier that your Rouge Royale is absolutely wonderful! What a gorgeous pic.

Kate

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

I keep forgetting to mention my Seven Sisters, it has not stopped blooming since spring and has been totally spotless as far as bs. I love this rose with its clusters of fragrant blooms. It is my most dependable rose. I will have to take a pic and post it tomorrow.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Boncrow - Sounds like a nice rose, I've heard about it through the years, but I don't think I've seen it in person. Would love to see yours.

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

Here are a few pics of my Seven Sisters, I don't know that this is for sure what it is but that's what I was told it was from the owner of my home when we bought it. The lighting is not so great but hopefully you can see the beauty of the rose. And I can't upload more than one pic at a time from my phone.

This post was edited by boncrow66 on Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 10:02

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

Here is a big cluster almost finished, you should see it when if first blooms.

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

I'm afraid my photos aren't the best quality and don't reflect the true beauty of my Seven Sister but I hope you can see why I love her. And she smells wonderful! She's not a typical rose with one big bloom but clusters of small blooms, usually in a group of seven, that gives her the look of a bouquet blooming on a rose bush. Any ways enough about SS, you get the idea lol.

This post was edited by boncrow66 on Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 9:59

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

My Sunsprite has also been doing extremely well this summer as well and is my favorite yellow. It's super hardy and smells awesome.

• ken-n.ga.mts
    9 years ago

Before the Beatles took over, my best roses have been just about all my Austins ( 8 out of 11). Dark Night (afternoon shade), Louise Estes, Let Freedom Ring, Brinessa, Compt de Chambrod, Rosa Rugosa, Rosa Rugosa Alba and just about all my mini/miniflora"s. Almost everything that survived this past winter came back strong. A few are still struggling.

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Right this minute my best is Double Delight. While I can't say the leaves are in the best of shape, and I do have some JBs munching here and there, but there are 14 buds on it in various stages of bloom. This from a 30 something year old plant that's been moved more than once, given up for dead more than once and had to be cut to the graft this spring.

{{gwi:313320}}

{{gwi:313321}}

{{gwi:313322}}

{{gwi:313323}}

{{gwi:313324}}

{{gwi:313325}}

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

Seil, your DD is looking so good! Mine took a drastic pruning this spring also but hasn't really jumped back strongly. Minimally decent spring bloom--but I've been waiting on the rebloom for quite some time now--sloooooooow!

Actually I have several that did a fairly decent spring bloom but just dont' seem to have enough energy to move into re-bloom stage.

Boncrow--your showy floriferous Sisters cluster blooms remind me of my Eutin which does that also. Two very reliable and dependable roses, evidently. Eutin is an older Kordes floribunda with some hybrid musk in its background. What background does 7 Sisters have?

Kate

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

Seil your DD is beautiful and make me glad I have it on my list for next year.

Kate I have no idea what background my Seven Sisters has, I have never researched it, I'm not sure if it's even for sure a SS. It came with my house but when I move in a few years it will be coming with me, I can't imagine not having it in my garden.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    9 years ago

Sorry to hear about your troubles Ingrid and Pat!

DD, Sunsprite and their seven sisters all look great!

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

Kate I just googled Seven Sisters and apparently it's a found hybrid multi floral. It says it's supposed to be once blooming but mine had a big spring and a smaller summer and fall flush. And it's a rambler but I keep mine pruned back to more of a shrub. It's history is originally from France and it's mainly found in Texas gardens. Thanks for asking me I knew its background, that prompted me to look it up and I learned something I didn't know which is always a good thing.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Boncrow - Whatever your rose is, it looks like a good one, very nice. I love Sunsprite too. I've never noticed the color fading and it does have a nice fragrance and is a fairly good bloomer. Kate, I have been very impressed with your Eutin, forgot to mention it earlier. I remember making a mental note last year that is one I need to try. I have Europeana, but Eutin looks like a better rose. it's good to know so many Austins are doing good. Seil - Your Double Delight blooms look wonderful, they look so healthy, glad it's doing good for you.

• johnnycabot
    9 years ago

Such wonderful pictures, like looking thru a catalog and shopping for next years choices! Thank you folks for sharing your gorgeous roses!

• bethnorcal9
    9 years ago

I am madly in love with this new one from Palatine... PHILATELIE. I had actually ordered it last yr but they ran out so couldn't get it til this yr. OMG! What a gorgeous monster plant with great repeat and these wonderful striped roses!!

{{gwi:313326}}

{{gwi:313327}}

{{gwi:313328}}

And another one from Palatine I'm lovin' is MONTE CARLO COUNTRY CLUB. It's a nice big plant too with these cool dk red and yellow blooms.

{{gwi:313329}}

{{gwi:313330}}

And then there's the new one from Weeks for next season... NEIL DIAMOND. Not quite as quick to repeat as PHILATELIE, But nice big blooms that last a long time and have a decent scent.

{{gwi:313331}}

{{gwi:313332}}

{{gwi:313333}}

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

Beth your roses are beautiful! I love the striped roses. Thanks for sharing.

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Yum! Those are gorgeous, Beth!

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Beth - I love the Philatelie and the Neil Diamond.

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    9 years ago

Beth,
    Any BS issues or other diseases? Do you know how it would compare to Scentimental?

• Joe Moose, Zone 9A
    9 years ago

All of the other roses are taking siestas due to the Texas heat, but the Fragrant Cloud is doing very well. The flowers fry in the full sun, alas, but during the morning, they are quite beautiful and, indeed, fragrant. VERY clean foliage, virtually no trace of BS.

• scottsmith
    9 years ago

beautiful roses.

I had a rose garden for around 10 years but had to give it up. Not enough time for my needed attention.

I have more time now and may start back with a few in containers. I always loved Double Delight, Peace, and Snowfire. There are so many more roses now that appear to be easier on the gardener.

I am inspired.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

Some of my roses have ended their rest cycle and started blooming again, so I'd like to add them to my "best" list.

Here is one of my rose beds (with other stuff in it also)--pic taken today. Along my Perfumed Path, on the right side, are several "best" HT bloomers--Red Intuition, Elle (pink), and if you squint in the background, you can also see one yellow bloom of Berolina. On the left side of the Perfumed Path, you can see Valencia (gold/buff/apricot, partly hidden by the fountain) and Memoire (white). More toward the foreground is the red shrub Braveheart--one of my all-time favorites.
    {{gwi:291304}}

Hope you enjoyed the overview.

Kate

• pat_bamaz7
    9 years ago

Oh Kate, that's a beautiful shot of your path...everything looks so nice! I haven't been back to this post in a while and so many beauties have been posted since I last checked. Really love your stripes, Beth! And boncrow, that Sevin Sisters looks wonderful. The rose I thought was Sevin Sisters is a once blooming pink, but seems there are several different roses referred to as "sisters" roses. I really like yours better than the one I was thinking of!

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    9 years ago

Kate,
    Thanks for the lovely picture. I'm thinking about getting Memoire next year, what are the pros and cons? Do you know how it compares to PJPII?

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

Memoire is a nice, dependable HT--but not a big showy one. It's a bit slow on the re-bloom, but blooms nicely when it gets going. It is fairly good on disease resistance (for a HT). Grows somewhat vertical--not bushy looking at all. Edges of the white petals often exhibit the slightest hint of brown (usually noticeable only if you are standing close to it)--but I think that is a problem many white and light colored blooms have.

I have never seen a real live Pope John Paul II (did I get that name right?) which lots of people on this forum grow. I get the impression that its bloom is bigger and more well-shaped--so you might want to consider it also. However, I'm satisfied (if not excited) with my Memoire and have no plans to replace it with Pope John or anything else.

Oh yes, Memoire is fragrant also--which is why she grows along my Perfumed Path. And like most of my HTs, Memoire is a bit on the shorter side--not growing 6 ft tall, or taller, like some gardeners claim their HTs do.

Kate

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    9 years ago

Kate,
    Thanks for the detailed input about Memoire. I have PJPII and it is a nice, fragrant white.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kate - I love your Fragrant Path, it is so pretty, I love your choice of colors and the varieties, I'm sure you must enjoy it very much, especially with the fragrances.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

Thank you for the comments on the Fragrant Path . I think I'll re-name it to that. I was calling it the Perfumed Path before, but Fragrant Path seems to work better. Thanks for the suggestion, sara.

Just for the record: Not blooming yet along my Fragrant Path are two fragrant beauties: at one end, Oklahoma; at the other end, Double Delight. Those two are "stars" along the Fragrant Path.

Kate

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Kate - Glad you like the name, I inadvertently called in that, I appreciate your subtleness. I love the idea of all those fragrant roses together. I'm going to have to get Oklahoma, I've read so many good things about it that I need to give it a try.