Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hcarnevale

Heirloom Roses annual Half Off Sale

hcarnevale
9 years ago

For those of you who have been waiting all Summer for the annual Half Off Sale at Heirloom Roses, like me, I have bad news..... It doesn't look like it is happening online. I emailed them today inquiring about it. It seems they are going to have a 3 day sale in Aug at the nursery only, not online. I'm so disappointed. I've been waiting all Summer.

Comments (19)

• buford
    9 years ago

bummer. Your thread title got me all excited.

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    9 years ago

Drat, me too.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    9 years ago

Thank you for calling and letting us know . I'm so disappointed, they had so many I was interested in . Maybe if enough of us post here how sad we are , they'll decide to do it ? Worth a shot !! I'd take another free shipping opportunity even .

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Any idea of when in August?

• Michaela (Zone 5b - Iowa)
    9 years ago

What a bummer! I love heirloom and probably would have purchased a few.

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

Dang! I love a sale too. I would have ordered for half price, that's a great deal.

• hcarnevale
    Original Author
    9 years ago

They said the sale at the nursery would be Aug 8-10th with many roses on sale and SOME of them up to half off.
    They have a ton that I would have ordered. Last year I ordered 8 from the sale as an experiment. I wasn't sure if they would survive my harsh climate being so tiny and planted so late in the season. All 8 of them survived the harshest winter in years, with no winter protection other than a ton of snow. They are all doing great this season.

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    9 years ago

One of their sales got me newly hooked on them, so I do hope they keep them up :D Unfortunately, I don't have the budget to really buy from most sources at full price, so I really, really hope everyone has sales when they can ;)

• sidos_house
    9 years ago

Heirloom is offering larger-sized roses now. Perhaps that is the reason they are not having the sale? They just pot up instead of trying to clear out the existing inventory that may be overgrowing their containers.

• pfzimmerman
    9 years ago

As a former rose nursery owner here are some thoughts from the other perspective. We stopped doing a lot of sales like that because we found, understandably, people would not order during the season, but would wait for the sale. Can't blame them and I'd do the same.

However, profit margins at small nurseries are small enough as it is and boutique rose nurseries can't stay in business selling roses at 1/2 price. That may be part of the reason.

Paul

• KnoxRose -7a
    9 years ago

Mr. Zimmerman makes an excellent point, and since several well known rose nurseries have gone out of business in the last few years, I am glad that Heirloom is protecting themselves, so that they will stay around forever. Also, a few weeks ago they did have a free shipping sale, free shipping on any purchase! And when you think about it that is pretty darn great, not exactly half price but close. I only found out about it from some kind soul posting a notification on here & I am so glad I did because I racked up, I got 9 bands & 32oz fish fertilizer for $165 total. Maybe they are going to start doing free shipping sales instead of half off?

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Buying from Burling is like a half off sale...... Her bands are less and her shipping is WAY less.

I wish Heirloom and Rogue Valley would use some of her shipping methods (I do love Heirlooms new boxes I mean postal rate selections). My last order was under $8 in postage for 6 bands.

• babera
    9 years ago

I saw the title of this post and just had to comment. I just today ordered 3 roses from heirloom. I was 'bout to get mad cuz mine weren't half off, and not to be a fun hater but I'm kinda glad there is no 1/2 off sale since I already bought mine. . . that's always my luck tho. . . also glad to hear good things about their products. . . what's a band tho?

• hcarnevale
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Heirloom Roses is having a Summer Sale online now. They must have changed their minds. It isn't on every rose, but many are on sale right now until the 18th. Happy shopping!

Heather

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    9 years ago

I spent a good hour drooling over this sale and had at least a dozen "must have" roses from this listing before I noticed a small statement at the top of the page. Apparently they only want orders where they can ship the roses immediately (including the line "regardless of zone"), not with the potential for ordering now for spring shipment. I understand the logic, since companies want to clear out summer stock in preparation for new plants for next summer, but for those of us in cold zones it really counts us out. I might be able to handle planting a gallon size rose in July, but a band size rose in August has very little chance of surviving my winters in my experience without enough chance to build a good root structure.

I'd love to hear if this line is in error, but I since I've never seen that line on an Heirloom page I think it's not subject to negotiation. I'll have to hang onto my list and check back later this fall/winter to make my order for next spring.

Regardless, for those of you in warmer zones there are some absolutely terrific roses for sale, many of whom are down to $8.50.

Cynthia

• hcarnevale
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cynthia,
    Just an FYI, I too was concerned about ordering bands so late in the season last year during their sale. I decided to give it a try and see if any survived our winter. I ordered 8 bands and planted them in late Aug. we had the worst winter in many years and all 8 of them survived and are doing well. I do not winter protect at all. We did get a lot of snow though. I'm planning on giving it a try again.

Heather

• bayourose
    9 years ago

I just placed an order from heirloom and I checked the box that said deliver after the last frost and they took it with the sale prices. Hope everyone else who wants to order, can do the same. I apparently did not see or maybe I looked over the line that said to be delivered now. Anyway, my order did not get flagged and the sale prices worked. Good luck to everyone !

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    9 years ago

Ah, Bayourose- you just made my day!! I have done a lot of mid-summer planting of roses in my zone, Heather, and sadly I only get winter survival on substantial sized pots anything after about June. I can plant Roses Unlimited gallons from their July sale without particular problems, but we don't get reliable snow cover and even with protection bands are simply not feasible for me this late in the year.

After last frost, however....now THAT I can order with a clear conscience!!

Off to blow my weekly budget...
    Cynthia

• bayourose
    9 years ago

Glad to help out a fellow rose lover! He he! Just think of the sale as getting two for the price of one. I can always find a way to justify buying roses. Smiles.