Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barefootgirl_ls

Midge -- Does imidacloprid really work?

barefootgirl
16 years ago

I've read here and elsewhere that imidacloprid (Bayer Insect Control) works on midge. I was eager to try something that wasn't as scary as Diazinon, even though I have some of that left.

I've sprayed the ground 4 times with the Bayer Insect Control at approx 6-day intervals (give or take a day) and I'm seeing no appreciable difference in the midge damage. I know the life cycle is only 4 or 5 days, but with the Diazinon a weekly application was enough to knock down the nasty little beasts. I'm not giving up yet, but I'm wondering what other midge sufferers have experienced with imidacloprid. Maybe I'm not drenching the soil deeply enough, but like most of you, I want the least toxic solution for the earthworms and beneficials, but still have it be effective.

At least I don't have any JBs -- no blooms for them to chew on.

Comments (17)

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    16 years ago

I have applied the granular Bayer product in April and hose-sprayed Bayer Tree and Turf (I think) in May and June. There is definitely a significant reduction in the midge population. Both of these products contain Imidacloprid plus other chemicals. I think it was the hose spray product that did the trick. Thanks Diane.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    16 years ago

You're welcome Harry, glad that you are seeing progress.

I use the product that contains the combination of imidacloprid and cyfluthrin. There were a few, but the Bayer Advanced Complete Insect Killer For Soil & Turf Concentrate and Granular (also comes in hose-end Ready to Spray) is what I have now.

• bbinpa
    16 years ago

I think the spray works better than the granular application. In addition, this year I covered some beds/borders with newspaper (beware this is a LOT of work) as suggested by Patricia and I am noticing less midge. They are still here, just less of them. I did not do complete justice to Patricia's suggestion as I was not willing to lose the companion plants, but I covered as well as I could and mulched over top. I continue to spray with the combination of imidacloprid and cyfluthrin.

I'm also considering getting rid of the worst attractors (roses that seem to draw them in)of this pest just to see if that helps. I have noticed there are definitely some roses that get much more damage than other surrounding roses. Anybody else notice this?

Barbara

• aegis1000
    16 years ago

I've sprayed with the combination of imidacloprid and cyfluthrin ... and used the granular product, as well, ... though, for this year, I opted out of putting down newspaper.

Things are definitely looking better than last year ... so far.

• ramblinrosez7b
    16 years ago

Diane, does that Bayer Adv. Compl. Insect Killer for Soil and Turf also work well for thrips? Do you use both the granular and Spray? And how often do you use it?

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    16 years ago

Haven't tried it on thrips, I didn't spray for them yet this year.

For midge, yes, I use both the granular and the spray. One application of each, spaced about 10 days apart so far, and I will probably apply the spray again next week and then once more in the middle of August so that I have blooms for our rose show in September.

16 years ago

Diane is the Knower Of All Things. Yes, it was Bayer Insect Killer for Soil and Turf. Just attach it to the hose. I sprayed at the higher concentration and kicked some serious midge @$$!

• karl_bapst_rosenut
    16 years ago

Spraying the soil around the bush will have little effect. The product must be used as a drench to get down into the soil. Using a hose end sprayer, spray the bush and drench the soil as directed for elimination of midge, to get rid of the adults and immature larva in the soil. Repeated application may be required to eliminate them completely.
    Using as Herryshoe says, with a hose end sprayer will apply it in drench proportions. Follow the directions on the label for a hose end sprayer or get a sprayer that will allow you to meter the proper amount to a gallon of water as listed on the label. Gilmore makes one.
    Spraying the soil with a regular insecticide sprayer and watering it in will dilute it too much.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gilmore metered hose end sprayer

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    16 years ago

Well, yes, when I say "spray" I do mean to drench the soil with the product. But, I do use the concentrates in a 2-gallon sprayer, and this has worked for me. I have not used the hose-end sprayer, but a few CRs in the district confirm that this is effective.

Oh Harry, if you could see my roses now you wouldn't say such things! :-))

• michaelg
    16 years ago

I'm glad to hear you all are managing to get some roses despite the midge. It's ironic that the US is the country with the overblown quarantine laws, when we're the one with the worst rose plagues, midge and rosette disease.

• bbinpa
    16 years ago

I spray every two weeks. I think, too, it is important to remove all signs of midge. I know the damage is done by the time you spot it MOST of the time; however, this will give you a way of noting re-infections or more recent infections. I have also caught some infections with drooping stems and deformed buds that may still contain larvae. I take all these cuttings and bag them in plastic for trash.

Being thorough is the only way to fight these devils.

Barbara

• barefootgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I've been using the hose-end sprayer bottle of Bayer but I may not be letting it soak deeply enough into the soil. I'm trying so hard not to kill the earthworms that it took YEARS to get into my hard clay soil. I'll keep at it since you've all been having good luck. Thanks for sharing!

16 years ago

Barefootgirl,

I doubt there are many earthworms left in my bed if Imidacloprid is deadly to them. But, there doesn't seem to be another way to control midge. It is very important to me to produce beautiful blooms so the Japanese Beetles can eat them.

• epiphany
    16 years ago

LOL Harry

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    16 years ago

I still wish the JBs would eat the midge or that the thrips would eat midge, then, perhaps, we could consider JBs and thrips "beneficials"...

• buford
    16 years ago

LOL Harry! I also bought the Bayer soil and turf concentrate rather than the ready mix spray for roses. I mixed it in a spray bottle and used to spray for thrips and it really helped. I have noticed some burnt looking buds and tips, but not enough to go out and spray again.

• barefootgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Following up: Diligence seems to have paid off. After faithful weekly drenchings with the Bayer Soil & Turf hose-end spray, I finally have BLOOMS again! Thanks for sharing your success stories so I was inspired to keep at it.