Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
will bayer 3in1 kill worms

Posted by sam4949 4b (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 23:25

I am afraid to use the soil drench because I am afraid it will kill all the good things in my soil. So I put the directed amount on Viking queen only. We have had a lot of rain so I think it is OK and washed thru. Now anyway.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: will bayer 3in1 kill worms

Why are you using Bayer 3in1?

I would guess that most of the posters on this forum do NOT recommend it for anything. In fact, my advice is to stay away from all the Bayer "combos"--they are all over-kill!

If you need a fungicide, use the Bayer Garden Disease Control for Rose, Flowers, and Shrubs--and spray it on. If you don't want to spray, then don't use anything--just learn to live with the problem.

Kate

o

Yes, the insecticide imidacloprid (Merit) in the Bayer combo product is acutely toxic to earthworms. Also it has been found to stimulate reproduction by the two-spotted mite, a major pest of roses. Kate is right, avoid combo products. They are marketed to beginners who don't know any better.

o

my viking queen is such a messy looking thing every year. i guess i wanted too see if it would help. but i hate to poison every living thing. i have had a lot of rain here. i wont use anymore soil drench. it is too dangerous. i just tried it on one to see if it does anything. i hope the rain washed most of it .

o

If it is only one rose, maybe the thing to do is pull it out and replace it with something else. Quadra may be a good idea.

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 18:12

Sam, you say VQ looks bad. What does that mean? Is it black spot or PM? If so then you don't need the combo product you just need a fungicide. Why do you want to spray for insects if you aren't having a problem with them? Most insecticides only kill certain bugs and they'll be listed on the label. But if you don't have bugs why waste the spray and risk killing the good guys? Get the Bayer Rose Disease Control only. Then you can spray VQ for fungus and not kill any of the worms or bugs. Only use the product you need for the specific problem you have and you and your roses will be happier.

o

I believe in the right circumstance the 3 and 1 helped. Maybe it kept the blooms not getting chewed by bugs and leaves from getting bs . It is not worth the risk. I hope all the rain washed most of the poison thru. anyway here is a picture with Earth song and Champlain behind it. Viking Queen grows up the 3 trellis.

photo 3ed6766d-048e-47b7-a3f4-1fb77cab0384_zps906e0119.jpg

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 16:52

They look good, Sam! It's not that the 3 in 1 won't help it's that people have found that it's not as effective as using the right product specific to what you have. It's also in a way over kill because your using things you don't really need at the time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here