Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A lot of thorns on the rosebush?

Posted by Acriym none (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 6, 13 at 23:26

It's my first time planting roses - the leaves turned red, but my friend's father (who is a gardener and landscaper) had told me it wasn't much to worry about, as it tends to happen. However, I noticed that there were a lot of thorns on the rose bush the other day, and I heard that was one of the symptoms of rrd... Is this normal? I'm think that I'm just being a tad bit paranoid :(

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A lot of thorns on the rosebush?

MANY roses exhibit red new growth. The picture of the prickles you've posted don't look abnormal for many varieties to me. Plus, the foliage on that cane appears normal. Take a look at the photos on the site I've linked below. Click on the images there to view them larger. You'll see how distorted RRD infected growth is and how yours appears to be normal. Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Rose Rosette Disease

o

I agree with Kim. Looks normal to me. Don't start worrying until you see distorted and weird excessive growth--monster, mis-shapen growth. It's ugly. You won't be able to miss it. In the meantime, enjoy the red colors and prickles on your normal-growing rose! : )

Kate

o

I had a rose bush with RRD and can say yours looks absolutely normal. Once you've seen RRD you'll never forget it. The link Kim posted shows perfect examples of RRD infected roses. The leaves will be crinkled up. It made me think that the rose leaves had arthritis and couldn't straighten out if that makes sense. When I read that sometimes its called witches broom I had to laugh because when I first spotted it I had said to my husband that it looks like an old witches fingers. The buds on mine were also distorted and most never opened. Before I knew what it was I would just cut the entire cane off as far down as possible but then every year it would grow back looking just as bad if not worse than the year before. After I did some research and found out it was RRD I removed the entire bush root and all and put it right into the trash. I have a few other roses bushes but none of them are showing any signs of infection.

So don't worry. Your roses look fine.

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 7, 13 at 11:52

I had a panic attack earlier this spring about some of mine...and I know better, lol! A LOT of roses start out with very red new growth and the thorns are many, small and soft but as they mature and grow out the thorns seem to spread out and harden up and the leaves turn green. RRD growth is always very distorted looking though. Check out Kim's link and you'll see the difference.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here