Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Climber or shrub rose for fence?

Posted by PelhamKate New York zone 7a (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 23:28

I am looking for a rose to train over a fence on the side of my property. The fence is about 4 1/2 feet high, and I would like to find a bushy rose to cover an 8-10 foot section of fence and serve as a backdrop for a perennial bed. My question is whether I should be looking at a climber or shrub rose for a site of that size?

I would also be interested in any suggestions you might have for rose types. I would like to find a pink rose that blooms long and well, tolerates a bit of afternoon shade, and will work well with a large (and beautiful!) Zephirine Drouhin that climbs a wall nearby. I have been looking at Eden, Annie Laurie McDowell or William Baffin. Any suggestions?

Thank you for your help. And my thanks to everyone who shares their knowledge here. I have only been gardening for a few years and I have learned a lot from your posts.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Climber or shrub rose for fence?

Personally, because of the low height of your fence, I would think shrubs planted in front of it would be a better choice than a climber. Few climbers will be satisfied being tied to such a low level and producing their flowers there. Most are going to throw longer laterals to stick up above the fence where the flowers will require staking or tying back to the fence. Too bad Iceberg doesn't perform as well there as it does here as that would be the perfect selection to hide a shorter fence with masses of flowers. Brilliant Pink Iceberg would do the job admirably and require nothing from you here. What is there suitable for your climate which would perform similarly? That would seem ideal in my opinion. Kim

o

Heritage and Cinderella Fairy Tale are both behaving like a shrub/small climber here. Both are blackspot free here, get big, but without getting out of bond.
Heritage is a continous bloomer in my garden, but not cinderella.

I like wild, chaotic look so I have Laguna and Awakening climbing a 6 feet fence in whichever way they want. The sight delight me, but surely would annoy a more orderly gardener. Doubt they are suitable choice for your location, but these two are bullet proof too in my garden (northern jersey)

o

Several times I've had neighbors who did not want a climbing rose on our adjoining fence (children/dogs treated like children might be pricked by a thorn). Kim's suggestion of a shrub is brilliant -- the Fairy or one of her offspring might be nice.

o

I planted Heritage and Zephrine next to each other his year and can't wait for next year when zephrine blooms and can see th two different pinks together. So far Heritage has grown like a weed for me and I think would be perfect for your fence.

o

John Davis. It will be tip hardy for you in your zone and it is very nearly thornless. In addition, it wants to grow more as a large mounding shrub that wants to be wider than tall, although it can be tied up to a support for greater height if desired. Once established, it should have little issue covering the 8-10ft area of fenceline.

o

I don't know about how winter hardy it is but you might want to look at Sally Homes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here