Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RRD? Round up damage?

Posted by armomto3boys 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 23, 14 at 0:03

Hi. I took these pictures of my mother-in-law's cl. Eden. What do you think of this growth? She did say that they do use round up around the roses and other places in the yard. That one lateral is the only one growing like that.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RRD? Round up damage?

Where are you located?

I have seen a lot of round up damage at my bosses, but it has never made the canes super thorny.

If you are on the east coast, check out rose rosette disease rrd

o

We are in western Arkansas.

o

I live in AR and saw lots of round up damage on my roses last year about this time. A stupid mistake I won't make again. It bore no resemblance to what is in your picture. It produced long, thin, pale green foliage just at the top of the plant. It occurred all at once on a plant. It happened to several beds all at once, not gradually. It also did not come back AT ALL when the damaged part was removed. therefore I know for sure it was Round up and not RRD. Having said all that, I have seen RRD too, and that's what you have.

o

Well shoot. What should I have her do?

o

Usual recommendation is cut up the plant, roots and all, and dispose of in a tightly tied plastic bag. (You can replant in the spot.)

Some brave souls try ripping out that cane all the way down to where it attaches to the central cane and then wait to see if it returns. That supposedly works if the disease is in its early stages. However, I haven't really met anyone for whom it actually worked. If you do that, make sure you dispose of the "sick" part in a tightly tied plastic bag.

There is no real "cure" for RRD, unfortunately. Bummer, right?

Kate

o

Oh boy. That is a shame. Thanks for the information. Is there a place where I should report the disease being found in our area?

o

Since it was only one cane, I assume that one can immediately rule out the type of herbicide damage described by arkroselady . If it is herbicide caused I would expect that a root picked up some herbicide from the soil.

Kippy-the-Hippy's observation about the excess thorns seems to be the key observation. Using a magnifying glass and looking for mites is recommended by some "experts".

My information is given below:

http://home.roadrunner.com/~kuska/rose_rosette_disease_virus.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: link for above

o

There are people who track RRD, I know Ann Peck does. It's unfortunate, but it looks like you found it early so maybe prevented it from spreading to other roses.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here