Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andreark

I love my HTs but, , , ,

andreark
10 years ago

I have no good, sunny, open ground space for more roses, (without cutting out more concrete) so I have decided to use a few pots. (They are 1 1/2 cu ft and 4 1/2 cu ft in capacity)

And since they have to stand alone, I would like plants that are bushy with great foliage and more blooms.

The large pot I have has a Carding Mill in it and the three smaller pots have miniatures. All are doing well but I would like more.

I've not yet had a Floribunda or a Grandiflora. But I saw a beaut named Kosmos. Would this type of rose be better suited to pots?

andrea

p.s. I think I've gotten the 'bug'!!!

Comments (30)

• racin_rose
    10 years ago

If you mean the Kordes "Kosmos" Fairy Tale rose, I grow it in a pot. It does very well and is disease resistant. It's a beautiful rose with a light-ish fragrance...

The bad news is that thrips seem to adore it...I mean they're really enamored with it. The carnage is sad...it's a prolific bloomer. It's got probably 30 more buds on it that I'm hoping I can save with a spray program.

This post was edited by racin_rose on Thu, Aug 22, 13 at 4:59

• andreark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks RR. I have much warmer weather, so it will be fine. But what I want to know more about is the foliage. Is the plant a bushy one with healthy dark green leaves?

Thanks again, and I really do miss your seasons. I grew up in St. Louis and Chicago.

andrea

• racin_rose
    10 years ago

Yeah I originally thought it was just proliferation, and then thrips, and I've realized it's both. There are some buds/blooms eaten up by thrips, and some that didn't develop correctly. I saw you were in z9 so edited my post because I doubt the cold weather proliferation or "bullnosing" will be an issue for you.

It had a couple really long, lax canes when I bought it. They started to develop laterals, so I let them. The whole plant filled out and covered with buds, so I guess I would call it a low, shrubby habit. I believe it would be really easy to train it on. something small too, like an obelisk you put in the pot.

The leaves are a pretty, shiny, medium-to-dark green and as I said, it is very healthy and seems to shrug the disease right off. I don't think it will grow in a particularly rounded habit but I don't know, as mine is starting to send some canes "upward" instead of out. Wish I could give more insight on this, mine cascades over the edge of the pot and I was so excited to see how pretty it would be when it bloomed...but it was not to be!

Also, for what it's worth, I grow Red Eden in a half-barrel and prune it as a shrub. It's a hybrid tea and due to the pruning it repeats accordingly. It does need sprayed once in a while but does great for the most part...no powdery mildew, which I fight constantly here...just a touch of black spot. Most of my roses are in pots including Austins and HTs.

This post was edited by racin_rose on Thu, Aug 22, 13 at 6:20

• racin_rose
    10 years ago

I went out and took some photos for you, I apologize for not being able to post more than 1 at a time...as you can see with the flopping canes, it really should be trained on something.

This post was edited by racin_rose on Thu, Aug 22, 13 at 6:24

• racin_rose
    10 years ago

A decent bloom

• racin_rose
    10 years ago

Aaaaaaand some bad ones...

• racin_rose
    10 years ago

The last blooms looked like this...so it is a worthwhile variety.

• andreark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, what a gorgeous blossom! And the foliage is exactly what I'm looking for. It's shiny and green and LOTS of it!..

I will have a huge Pot for it, (it will hold three 1 1/2 cu ft. bags of soil) but what do you mean something to train it on? Sorry I need so much help. Just a 1st grader in roses.

Thanks again. And now maybe I can sleep. It's 3:58 am and I haven't slept much yet.

andrea

• andreark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Some of the trellises for potted plants have the trellis directly in the pot. Some are on a wall and the pot sits next to it. The ones that are directly in the pots look more permanent.

andrea

• jerijen
    10 years ago

Andrea -- Have you considered a Tea Rose????

(Not "Hybrid Tea," but an old "TEA Rose.")

Jeri

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    10 years ago

Hello Andrea. I have Kosmos planted as a bare root this year on multiflora is is EXTREMELY VIGOROUS. Own root it might be better for a pot as mine has thrown out 8-10 foot canes! The blooms are gorgeous and so is Carmel Fairy Tale (Caramella). I've been thinking about ordering more of the Fairy Tales since they are the most healthy and vigorous roses I have. Foliage is glossy and abundant.
    Michaelg on this forum advised me that Caramella likes to be a 5 X 5 ish shrub. But it may not mind being pruned to keep it within bounds of your pot. The blooms last several days in a vase and the petals are nice and thick.
    I highly recommend this one and Caramella is just gorgeous too...

• andreark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jeri,

Can you give me an example of what you mean by just Tea rose?

Thanks

andrea

• andreark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

poorbutroserich,

Sorry, but what do you mean by "on multiflora"? I am getting to understand HTs a little. But I know nothing of the other types. I saw Kosmos listed as a Floribunda. Is it own root or grafted?

Thanks,

andrea

• andreark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey Jeri, (sorry, just got excited) I found a web page that explaines the differences. Will you look at it and let me know what you think of the content?

andrea

Here is a link that might be useful: what's in a name

• jerijen
    10 years ago

Yes. That's what I was talking about. And the Tea Roses were evolved for warm climates, so they are perfect for the Southern United States.

There are, literally, hundreds of them, and they have grown without a lot of fussing for hundreds of years.

Here's an example -- 'Lady Roberts' -- recommended as one of the best roses available at the turn to the 20th Century. They are out there, in "all the colors of sunset." And many of them are as tough and disease-free as this one.

Jeri

• andreark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jeri,

It's gorgeous and HMF says it has a strong fragrance.
    But I don't live in Southern Cal. In fact, I live about 60 miles from where this shot was taken. So I assume that LR would do well for me here too.

BUT!!!! How do I find this rose?

andrea

• jerijen
    10 years ago

Well, yes. If you live in that area, Tea Roses, and China Roses, are among the best choices for you.

For Lady Roberts -- Burlington Rose Nursery.
    For Anna Olivier, her sport parent, Greenmantle Nursery.

And, living where you are, I STRONGLY recommend the beautiful Cochets:
    Maman Cochet (pink)
    White Maman Cochet (Opalescent)
    Niles Cochet (red and pink)
    And you must have Archduke Charles (pink and red)

That's seven to get you started. Have you visited the Sacramento City Cemetery? The first time I visited there, and fell in love with it's Tea Roses, it was smack in the middle of November -- but there's really never a BAD time to go there.

Jeri

• andreark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

RR, I have a friend that has a nursery in the area and has a couple of Kordes roses that she wants to give away. I will be happy to take one of the fairytale roses. They are small enough to be pot roses. I will send photos.

And thanks a bunch Jeri, I already sent an e-mail about them. Now all I have to do is find room for more!! From what I read on HMF, they are really too large for my pots. Maybe my neighbor will let me borrow a little of her very vacant property!

But before I do any more planning, can you tell me what conditions the tea roses require to be happy? Can they take a little more shade? If so, I'm in fat city as far as space goes.

Thanks again to all,

andrea

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    10 years ago

Hi Andrea. Looks like Jeri has steered you to the old teas and I think they are wonderful. After a start with modern roses I quickly moved on to the teas, noisettes, bourbons and chinas. They just have a charm about them.
    Kosmos would make a great cutting rose. When I said I had it on multiflora I meant grafted on multiflora rootstock.
    And if you have been bitten by the bug (as I was about this time last year) I would recommend Scanniello's book, "A Year of Roses". He gardens near NYC so you would have to discard some of his zone specific advice. However, it is a great place to begin.
    I gotten bitten by the rose book bug and now have a good 20 books on old and new roses.
    You will get some great advice here!
    Susan

• jerijen
    10 years ago

Hey Andrea -- Half-day sun has never bothered roses here. Don't think it would there.

If you go to the cemetery, you'll find that they do work around trees.

As to containers -- I did grow several Teas in HUGE containers. To be honest, they did not prosper until they went into the ground.

Jeri

• racin_rose
    10 years ago

Andreark, there may be some teas that will work for your purpose. Old Garden types have really grown on me, and that's the direction I'm gravitating toward. If Mrs. Jennings suggests something it will certainly work, she's far more experienced than myself.

I'm currently doing an experiment with "grow bags," which are any of the fabric-type containers labeled "Smart Pots" "Oregon Breather Pots" etc. They allow roots to naturally air prune themselves as opposed to coiling into a ball in a non-aerating container. They aren't the most aesthetically pleasing, but what I'm looking into is placing them inside something pretty, like a urethane-sealed wicker or rattan basket. The reason I'm interested in this is seeing if it aids to keep a rose from "outgrowing" its container, which is really the problem. If the roots coil around into a tight ball, it must be removed, pruned, and/or moved to a bigger container. In theory, the fabric pots should eliminate this.

They're extremely cost-effective, if you're interested in trying it.

• andreark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Susan,

Thanks for the answer. Now you deserve another question. (I make many bad jokes.)

Why would you graft a floribunda onto multiflora rootstock? (Not a joke question)

andrea

• andreark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jeri,

You have now opened Pandora's rose box....
    Everyone says that you need 5-6 hours of sun for a rose. It's not THAT hot here. It got up to high nineties for about a week or so and very low 100s a few days.
    I grew up with much more heat than we have here.
    But I still had to put sun shade over my babies..They were all crisping. When you are close to bays, deltas, oceans, the sun can fry you, or your roses. Sooooo, just how little direct (intense) sun do they need?

I already figured out that the teas won't do well in pots. But if they can survive with a few hours of direct afternoon sun, then I have additional space for them.

andrea

• andreark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

RR,
    I have a few pots, but that's all I think I will do. I have just decided to bulldoze my house....That will free up more rose space! If Jeri gives me 'the desired' answer about
    Calif bay/delta sunshine, I wont' have to worry about pots. Now, all I have to do is figure out how to quit my job to support this new addiction.

To all, have a great and rosy weekend,

andrea

• jerijen
    10 years ago

5-6 hours is probably accurate. The long-recommended 8 hours is more than you probably need.

Does that help?

Here's the deal -- You can grow roses in 2-3 hours of sun. They just won't bloom! (I have some like that. They had more light in the beginning, but trees have grown ...)

It's not the temperature. It's the hours of light. But you're right. In REALLY high temps, you may have to shelter young plants, and make sure they don't dry out.

Again -- There are two things at question:

One is hours of sunlight.

The other is high temperatures.

For this, it doesn't make a parcel of difference whether you're growing HTs, or Hybrid Perpetuals, or Teas, or Chinas. There are two issues, not one. :-)

Jeri

• andreark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jeri,

I think I know now why these teas are so mesmerizing for me. They remind me of my grandmother's roses when I was a child. (a magical and free time in my life) That was 55 to 60 years ago. Would these roses be the types that Nana would have had in her garden in maybe the mid to late 40s? (Yes, I'm an old bag). I'm kind of a homebody. Don't travel too much anymore. (Living in Eastern Europe for a while removed the desire to travel.)

But I've noticed that quite a few of the old teas are in the San Jose MRG. have you been there?

andrea

• Kippy
    10 years ago

Both Lady Ann Kidwell and Arch Duke Charles are doing wonderful and I love their happy little flowers.

• racin_rose
    10 years ago

Antiqueroseemporium.com has many, many tea ross that they sell in 2gal pots, so much bigger than a band. I haven't received my order yet but if you're interested I'll let you know how they look when they get here.

• andreark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

RR and Kippy,
    I would love to see pics when you have them.

andrea

• kittymoonbeam
    10 years ago

A tea rose sounds like a good choice for your pot. The Fairytale roses I tried here grew so large and put out big stiff canes that I wonder if a pot would be too small right away. Also, I think the reblooming might be faster on the tea roses than on the fairytale roses. I think some of the fairytale roses probably rebloom faster and stay smaller where its cooler. The only exception for me was Lion's fairytale but it didn't start reblooming well until it's 3rd year in the ground after it got really large.

Not to discourage anyone from the FT roses because they are good disease free roses with shapes similar to DA's roses.