Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nadia214

What does "handpainted" mean in terms of rose varieties?

nadia214
10 years ago

Hi everybody!

I'm just curious, why do some roses fall into the classification of "handpainted"; like Rock N Roll? Why would that term be used as opposed to multi colored?
Thanks in advance.

Comments (12)

• roseseek
    10 years ago

"Hand painted" simply refers to how the colors are broken up into patterns, resembling something which could have been painted by hand. It's a different expression of colors from a blend or multi colored, created by different genes. Most "paint" due to higher heat and more intense light. A very few actually color better in cooler temps. Most painters go back to the initial painters created by McGredy. His "painting" characteristic originated from the Spinosissima roses. Kim

• susan4952
    10 years ago

Is this an example?

• roseseek
    10 years ago

It looks like it to me. Take a look at the photos on Help Me Find for Laughter Lines, Matangi, Old Master, Priscila Burton, Maestro, Modern Art and a ton of others. Those will give you the idea for sure. This is Laughter Lines. Kim

• mirendajean (Ireland)
    10 years ago

Kim - Is that Champaigne Cocktail? If so, I've got your back.

In the atypical heat of this summer...

{{gwi:303732}}

Few weeks later, same rose, no heat.

{{gwi:314246}}

• roseseek
    10 years ago

The bloom Susan posted looks as if it could be Champagne Cocktail. It isn't the total blushing that determines "painting" but the patterns formed by it. Let's see if this link brings you to the photo. Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Laughter Lines on HMF

• mirendajean (Ireland)
    10 years ago

Sorry Susan :-) I scrolled down too fast on my iPhone. I thought you pic was part of Kim's post. I have YOUR back.

M

This post was edited by mirendajean on Tue, Aug 27, 13 at 18:21

• wirosarian_z4b_WI
    10 years ago

Here is a good example of what a hand painted rose looks like from hmf.com. The rose is the mini 'Little Artist'

Here is a link that might be useful: Little Artist

• susan4952
    10 years ago

Laughter lines is out of this world. As yes, my pic is of CC. Pretty so far. MJ, didn't you have an even better pic of CC?

• nadia214
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much!!! :-)

• User
    10 years ago

I would have thought they were right up your street, Kim (you are keen on both McGredy and the stripeys, no?) Mind, I am fond of Regensburg myself (although stripes have failed to grip me much).

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Ah, Suzy, they have been right up my street. Back during my "collecting period", I grew every one available here, and enjoyed the heck out of them. But, they have to be carried on GOOD plants and many weren't. When I had virtually unlimited space, water and energy, and there were over twelve-hundred roses in that canyon in Newhall, they were all there, plus all the stripes, stippled and "haloed" types there were here in the US. Those days were great, but behind me. I no longer have the space, water and energy for that many, so my "collection" consists of those which are happier to be with me and which I want to use to create my own roses. The most "painted" one these days is Laughter Lines, which has been one of my favorites since those days. The link below takes you to the photo of it in the old Newhall garden. I hope it's as happy here as it was there. That, by the way, was an own root plant I propagated from a friend's British import. Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Laughter Lines in the old Newhall garden

• User
    10 years ago

Criminey - that's enormous. I bet it wouldn't get half as big over here. Spectacular though.

Obvs, I haven't grown a fraction of what you have had....but even so, the collecting impulse is taking second place to a feeling of time not being endless and wanting to actually create a space which looks harmonious as a whole and not the insane mish-mash which results (in my gardens) from having too many fingers in too many pies.... I would definitely be happy with a few (6 or so)really great roses (white, pink, pale yellow, single, semi-double, big and floriferous) which grew in multiples.....and a dozen R.moyesii