Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tigers33_gw

Chrysler Imperial,Veterans Honour and Crismon Glory roses

tigers33
10 years ago

Hi guys just bought these 3 roses barerooted this seson in Australia after reading a few reviews of them on the internet so I'm really looking forward to all of them.Can anybody who has these roses just give us a bit of feedback on them healthwise and general information on them etc.Thanks

Comments (9)

• rosetom
    10 years ago

Can't speak to Chrysler Imperial, but I have Oklahoma and a couple of Mister Lincolns - those three are sort of the vintage trifecta of Hybrid Tea Reds.

Veterans Honor I planted new this year (felt like I needed more reds). So far, it appears to be the best red I've ever seen. The bush is already about 5 feet tall from a bare root in spring. Flowers are huge with perfect exhibition form and no blushing/bluing at all. Of course, the only minus is no scent. If it had that, IMHO, it might be the best red, ever, period.

Crimson Glory is a rose I'll never be without. It may have the finest fragrance of any hybrid tea in existence. Flowers are good size, with absolutely velvet substance. However, the bush and flower stems do not meet modern exhibition standards. Stems are very short, weak, and the flowers knod over on a regular basis. The bush is more old-rose style - it's rambling and perhaps wider than tall, growing very much like a hedge. However, that fragrance is unbeatable, strong, and consistent.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

I only have VH. I love the blooms. They're beautiful with amazing staying power. They'll last for a week or more on the bush. However, it is very balck spot prone for me and defoliates completely each season and then grows back. Thankfully it's a vigorous grower so it doesn't stay naked for long.

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    10 years ago

I have all three, Veteran's Honor for the longest. VH is the best for heat because the blooms have very thick petals that only fry when temps really go up (was 108 here not too long ago, and that crisped pretty much everything). Really long lasting flowers, but not much scent. My plant is tall, likes pruning and does blackspot some when conditions are right (it is by no means the worst offender for me though). Chrysler Imperial gets powdery mildew when conditions are right for that. Blooms are large and very fragrant. They do crisp in heat, but not as quickly as Crimson Glory, who is the youngest of the three in my garden. C.G. has amazing fragrance, and her foliage tends to burn as well as her flowers.

This post was edited by brittie on Wed, Aug 14, 13 at 11:43

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

Tiggers33 - where are you located geographically? It is really not of much use to get information from folks if they are gardening in a completely different zone/climate from where you are. If you can tell us what part of what state (or country, if you are not in the US) you are in, someone from a similar area who grows these roses could give you helpful information. Otherwise, what anyone says is just true for where they are, and would not necessarily be true at all for where you are.

As an example, evidently Crimson Glory gets crispy in the heat in Houston (zone 9). However, I have grown Cl Crimson Glory here in zone 9 in No Cal, and it has never ever done that. That is just one example of two plants in the same heat zone behaving differently, but there is a lot more to climate than zone numbers (humidity, distance from marine influence, etc, etc) so it is really more helpful to get info from someone who really is in a similar climate.

Jackie

• tigers33
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks guys for the reponse.Jackie I'm in Australia Melbourne is my state.Thought I will ask you guys in this forum as the rose forum for Australia does not get any responses at all and no one seems to post.Cheers

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

OK, I looked Melbourne up, and it appears to be in cold zone 9b/10 (small map), with some summer humidity, but not bad. Mild winters, and moderate rainfall 12 months of the year. Sounds perfect for old tea & china roses, frankly.

However, to get back to your question - hopefully someone in a more similar climate will respond, but I can tell you about Crimson Glory in our climate, which is in zone 9, but has very little summer humidity, and NO rain at all from May to Oct. It is lovely, gets some blackspot but not bad (I do not spray at all), and blooms in waves. It is incredibly fragrant 100% of the time. Blooms are large, lovely velvety red which fades towards purple, rather than the more orange reds.

Here is a pic of mine:

Jackie

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Of the three, I only grow Chrysler Imperial about which I have some mixed feelings. When it blooms, the shape and color of the blooms are excellent, but my Chrysler Imperial is rather slow on the re-bloom--I get tired waiting for it to bloom again. I never get many blooms on the plant--just a couple at a time. So, lovely blooms, but stingy!

I planted it because of its fragrance and because it is fairly disease resistant. No complaints about the fragrance, but I wish it were a little more disease resistant--it's not a disease-magnet, however, so that is good.

My plant stays rather short also.

I'm in zone 6 in middle America. Don't know how much that is like or unlike your region, so I can't say that Chrysler Imperial will perform the same for you. I have the impression that posters in other regions may find Chrysler Imperial grows a bit taller and is a bit more floriferous--maybe.

Hope that gives you more information to work with. : )

Kate

• blocke19
    10 years ago

Hi Tigers,
    I have Chrysler Imp and Veteran's Honor. Plus I'm an aussie living in the USA but I know Melbourne fairly well! I love both these roses but 2 things: you will definitely have to spray regularly and I'd place them where they get sun from sunrise to noon or so. CI has the most fantastic fragrance, beautiful rose form and is quite a nice shaped bush to boot. Veteran's Honor is simply the most amazing vivid shade of red I've ever seen. It's incredible. Unfortunately, little to no scent. Seems like a nice plant too and pumps out the flowers. Have you been up to the rose gardens at Weribee Park? It's been quite a few years since I was there but they used to be great and they might have specimens for you to check out.

• tigers33
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks guys for all your help great info.Yes I have been to the rose garden in werribee wonderfull place and great roses there.I'm just looking forward to see how all 3 go to be honest after reading and speaking to people about them.I must say all 3 roses are pretty rare to come across here.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths