Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elisabeth888

Love song floribunda healthy but NO buds or flowers for 6wks

elisabeth888
9 years ago

Hello, I'm brand new to this site! I have 23 roses in our garden, and like every Rose gardener I have learned from every plant along the way....my "love song" floribunda is a 2 yr old bush and always makes the most beautiful large blooms, all season long....last year..actually well into the end of Oct, here I. Chicago!!!
She was the first one this spring to start giving me stunning flowers this season. I adore her.
I had to go out of town for 4 weeks and left the rose garden for my husband to take care of. June 23rd I pruned most everybody down so he didn't have too much to do but water and keep an eye on leaves etc etc...he is great with our rosé garden but works a lot and I wanted to make sure his extra long days at work didn't include all the hrs I spend fussing in the garden daily...
When I returned 4 weeks later 98% of our rose garden looked great:) BUT The love song had grown very tall long canes that had no buds and looked very strange for the type and shape this plant is actually supposed to be, so I waited a week and then pruned it down again.

So that is only 2 major pruning back this summer, June 23 and then the long canes again August 2nd

All the roses in my garden are back to their healthy size but Love song just wants to grow like its a beanstalk looking for giants beyond the clouds and make NO buds at all!! It looks healthy as can be, lots of leaves,and this time even with the canes too high up again-it is more "bushy" like the floribunda should be in form..it is still taller however than it should be...but I just kept waiting for the nice red growth to maybe turn into a bud and nothing happens. HELP??? There is no disease on any leaves, like I said it seems happy as can be in there(minus the fact it's not being a ROSE lol! ) The canes grow faster than anything I have ever seen.
It's neighbor a few feet away is a rose tree"over the moon" which could not be more amazing!!! Filled with large peach huge flowers.
To its other side a couple feet away is a 3rd yr knockout which since I pruned it at the same time (June 23rd) has been growing more like a hybrid tea rose instead of the knockout bushy look that is the reason I bought it in the first place and put it in the spot it is in:( BUT it is making flowers so that is good!
My "LoveSong" just has me totally thrown for a loop and I really need some advice and help!!!!
Thank you in advance for any of your suggestions.

Comments (5)