Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19773183

Who is this?

User
9 years ago

At a spot where I wait for my commuter bus every day, the home owner planted several landscape roses of various variety. I could not figure what one particular "true" red rose is. It does not seem to have any fragrance, but I don't trust my nose (allergy sufferer). It is grown in almost all shade under mature trees. It does not look like Home Run to me.

Any suggestion what this might be?

Comments (12)

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another picture

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

One more

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Last one

• Spectrograph (NC 7b)
    9 years ago

It could be Flower Carpet Scarlet. I don't discern much scent from that rose either. In person, I feel that Flower Carpet Scarlet is a "warm" red, with no blueing or purple at all, and could almost be said to lean toward fire-engine red, toward orange instead of blue or mauve. Furthermore, the bush habit looks exactly like the Flower Carpet Scarlet plantings I've seen.

• anntn6b
    9 years ago

Depending on the size of the bush (and youth) it could be Red Cascade, if the blooms remain that size relative to the leaves and IF the blooms add a lot more petals.

Another possibility is Home Run.

• roseseek
    9 years ago

It could also be Red Ribbons. Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Red Ribbons

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, everyone.

It is a straightly single rose. Apologies for the quality of the pictures: I took the pictures on my blackberry this morning in the rain. By looking at the pictures on HMF, Red Ribbons and Flower Carpet Scarlet seem to have more petals. I thought it was Home Run initially until I saw the real thing in person. HR has larger flowers, which sort of flatten out when fully opens and has a bit white in the middle. This one does not have the color pattern of Home Run, and I haven't noticed any white in the center. Nor do the petals open up/flatten out. HR seems to have a growth habbit similar to Knock Out, which is quite different from what I saw from the plant. In growth habit, it does resemble Flower Carpet Scarlet.

The rose has been there for at least three years now. The poor thing does not get much sun and gets a lot of salt in the winter as it is by a major road. It seems to be quite the tough one. The previous homeowners who planted this sold the property about a year ago.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Anyone has another suggestion? Thanks

• roseseek
    9 years ago

It could also be plain old Red Flower Carpet, as opposed to "Scarlet" Flower Carpet. The lower petal count could easily be explained by reduced heat, reduced light and/or reduced fertilizer. It appears to receive plenty of water. Kim

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Kim! You probably nailed it. There are 10 pictures for RFC on HMF, and last picture shows a fully single bloom. I cannot be sure whether the color is closer to SFC or RFC, but I am confident that it is probably one of the two. I will get one of the two in the spring.

In the past several days, I have learned quite a bit on this forum. Jim in Pennsylvania solved the mystery of why some of my roses are not blooming (Rose Midge), and now I know that rose blooms can switch "personality" in this fashion due to growing conditions.

So a big THANK YOU to you, Ann, Phasedweasal and the other Rosarians for generously sharing your knowledge!

• roseseek
    9 years ago

You're welcome! Oh, yeah! Roses change DRAMATICALLY with climate and season. I've seen roses I've grown for years in other climates and asked what in the world they were. What's really embarrassing is when you've given someone a piece of a rose in a different climate and then ask them what that gorgeous rose they have is. "I got it from YOU!" OK. I'd wondered for a long time how they bred anything from Rosarium Uetersen. In my inland, valley heat, there are no sexual parts. The entire flower is usually packed completely full of petals and petaloids. The color is also a neon, poster paint coral pink. Then, I saw it along the coast...pastel coral with three or four rows of petals and an enormous center of lush, golden anthers full of pollen and a stigma crying out for the taking. I asked a friend what it was and she looked at me as if I had twenty heads. She bought the thing from ME at the nursery I managed back then, but I had never seen it grown in the cool, damp, only the hot and dry. That's why identifying roses from a photo taken in conditions you're unfamiliar with is so bloody difficult, unless the rose is so unusually distinct, nothing else could come close to looking like it. Enjoy! Kim

• summersrhythm_z6a
    9 years ago

Kim is right, it's a red carpet. I have a few of them, but my dark pink carpet roses for some reason bloom much more than the red ones, their re-bloom speed is more like Knockout roses. I also have some very light pink (almost white) carpet roses, very pretty, but they don't repeat well in my garden.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County