Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First roses

Posted by dmoore66 6 NorthWest NJ (dmoore2145@comcast.net) on
Tue, Aug 19, 14 at 8:55

Just getting some buds and a few roses.
Had to cut them all down to the ground due to the severe winter.
Have been feeding them all year.
I hope this coming winter is less severe or I will be converting to a vegetable garden next spring

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First roses

I'm sorry to hear that about your roses. It was a rough winter here too. I've been planting zone 4 roses here unless it's something I really like. Fingers crossed that will help.

Hoping it's a better winter for all of us.

o

I'm so sorry. I'm familiar with lost roses due to last winter, too and I live a lot farther south than you do. What roses do you grow?

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 19, 14 at 16:46

Hang in there, dmoore. They took a severe hit last winter and needed time to recuperate. Hopefully with a less severe winter they will surprise you next season!

o

Unfortunately, a harsh winter in these parts happens every decade or so. But, on the up side, if they are still green up top, they are growing nice happy roots below. More roots, more top growth. That's the way I've always looked at it. It has also been a much cooler summer than normal, and I think this may have contributed to the slower growth. Hang in there!

o

My roses aren't blooming much (or at all for some of them, even "mature" onces), and I initially thought that they are recovering from the harsh winter. However, thanks to a poster on this forum, (Jim from Pennsylvania to be specific), it turns out that I have a massive outbreak of rose midge. If your plants are growing nicely, but do not flower, google rose midge, just in case.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here