Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pembroke_gw

favorite yellow HT or grandaflora

pembroke
10 years ago

I will be looking for a yellow rose to add to my garden. what is your suggestion for my zone and why do you like it so much. tried to find on Help Me Find yellow roses. Haven't been on site for so long forgot how to find color of roses to choose from, any suggestions. Pembroke

Comments (20)

• lesmc
    10 years ago

My favorite yellow rose is South Africa. I garden in zone 6, Louisville,KY. This rose is never, ever without a bloom. It has never had one once of blackspot and the leaves are deep green and lush. Honestly, anyone who sees it asks for the name. A real outstanding rose. I bought it from Palatine Roses bare root. It does not have a scent,tho. This is the only draw back on my opinion. Check it out! Lesley

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Lots of posters on this forum will recommend Julia Childs--very popular selection, with many virtues. However, I don't have it, so can't say anything else about it.

I grow a hybrid tea called Berolina--largely because it is very disease-resistant for a hybrid tea. It isn't a fancy rose, but seems to be quite floriferous--so far, always in bloom or not out of bloom more than a day or two. It is a bit more vertical and taller than some of the other HTs, but it is only about 3.5 ft tall in my garden in its first year, whereas my other HTs tend to be more in the 3 ft tall category (or less in some cases). Look it over--I'm satisfied with it. Oh yes, it has fragrance also.

I also have a yellow mini called Sweet Diana--actually I have 7 of them--4 forming a hedge row and the others scattered randomly around the garden. I like that randomness--she blooms quite well and brings some cheerful color to different parts of the garden. She gets about 2 or 2.5 ft tall and is fairly disease resistant.

Now if you are interested in golden yellow apricot blends, I'd strongly recommend the Austin shrub Molineux--grows about 3-4 ft tall, good bloomer, fairly good disease resistance most of the time, but needs help occasionally.

Pale yellow on cream? Got a wonderful HT called Elina. Big, full, thorny unfortunately, fragrant, good re-bloomer. She gets about 5 ft tall.

Please note that I am also in Zone 6 (in Kansas). It might be helpful if you generally noted where your Zone 6 is located--Atlantic Coast, Midwest, etc. Not all Zones 6 are identical.

It might also help if you listed what kind of rose you are looking for and how tall/wide you want, fragrance or not, etc. Makes it easier for responders to respond. : )

Kate

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

If you have problems with powdery mildew I would stay clear of New Day. It's a lovely decorative formed HT but it's been covered in mildew since the day I brought it home in June. Very disappointing.

I do have Julia Child but she is NOT an HT and does not have classic HT exhibition form. She is a gorgeous, HEALTHY rose though!

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

I also suggest Julia Child, a truly great rose, in my opinion, with a beautiful growth habit. She's always in bloom and those blooms really stand up to the heat here. Cold weather doesn't faze this rose, either. We had some very cold weather last winter, and, as usual, she came through handily. My JCs are six footers, as tall as many HTs, and she's very wide, a nice balanced shape.
    Another excellent yellow is Austin's Golden Celebration, again, always in bloom here, in spite of very hot summers. GC gets big here, too. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Sorry, I forgot to mention that my photo is of Golden Celebration with Julia Child seen in the background. Diane

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    10 years ago

Some of the most frequently mentioned faults of yellow roses are:
    -they are winter tender
    -they are disease prone
    -the yellow color fades rapidly

Currently, although I'd love to have a good yellow for cutting, I have not grown any that filled the bill and most were susceptible to at least one if not all of the above limitations. I'm not saying they don't exist but you might want to keep those "problems" in mind when you ask for suggestions........Maryl

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    10 years ago

A second vote for Elina. Nice scent, doesn't fade and heat doesn't bother it.

• racin_rose
    10 years ago

Julia Child and St. Patrick have both done well for me. Yellow roses are my favorite so I'm always looking for a good one.
    I saw one called "Eternal Flame" at a local nursery. It smelled great and seemed very healthy. It was big!

St. Patrick

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Well, we had a nasty winter last year, as I mentioned in my previous post, in which we reached 0 degrees on several nights--not a typical zone 7 winter, and both Julia and Golden Celebration came through just fine. I admit I know nothing about how well JC or GC handles fungal diseases since we don't have any here. I use Julia and Golden C for bouquets, and they both do well in the vase. Diane

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

Gina Lollobrigida is my favorite yellow HT...beautiful, bright yellow blooms with very high petal count and a good fragrance. She lasts a long time on the bush and makes a great cut flower. The HT Eternal Flame is new for me this year, but appears it's going to be a good one...and the scent is heavenly.
    I have two Julia Child floribundas and agree with the other posters that it is a terrific yellow. Her fragrance is great and she lasts longer cut than most floribundas. Easy Going is another good yellow floribunda...more disease resistant for me than JC, never out of bloom, nice (but not strong) fragrance, but it does not last long cut.

Easy Going (looking a bit more apricot than usual):

{{gwi:315147}}

Gina Lollobrigida:

• racin_rose
    10 years ago

Pat, good to hear Eternal Flame is a good one. I almost bought it but it was so tall I passed for not wanting to "wrassle" it in my car. Re-thinking that now...

• pembroke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Louisville KY is north of me about 15 miles. So I call Louisville close to home. Thanks for suggestions on what to ask for next time. Great suggestions on the yellow roses. Wonderful pictures also. Will have to look them up on HMF and go from there. Thanks again. Pembroke

• Molineux
    10 years ago

My favorite among the Hybrid Teas and Grandifloras is GOLD MEDAL. Vigorous and easy to grow, excellent repeat, and produces exhibition quality blooms that last a long time in the vase. Faults include a tendency to fade in hot summer sun and the light fragrance is nothing special. Another good one is ST. PATRICK although it took me years to finally learn to appreciate the chartreuse tones. CHINATOWN is supposed to be an excellent yellow Floribunda with Hybrid Tea like flowers but I but haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Image of Gold Medal by Roses-R-Me-4b-Mn at Hortiplex

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    10 years ago

Lesmc,
    Thanks for your description and picture of South Africa. I ordered one from Palatine for next year.
    Hattie

• lesmc
    10 years ago

Hi Hattie....Congratulations...it is an outstanding rose in my garden. Even today, it is loaded with big fat blooms and completely disease free. I know every garden is different, soil, sun, act. But, I feel you won`t regret your choice. I placed my order today for Nov. delivery. I have had very good luck with all but one of my roses from them.And that was my fault! Happy Gardening...Lesley

• sara_ann-z6bok
    10 years ago

Several years ago I had a light yellow rose named Helmut Schmidt. It was loaded with perfect blooms all season. Never got very tall, but it was healthy. Only problem, it was apparently very tender. I've never replaced it, but have often wished I had another one.

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    10 years ago

Elina does reasonably well for me, but there are also two others that I would suggest as well. The Meilland Romantica Michaelangelo does well if you just might want one that has an old garden rose appearance, and Lemon Spice if you want a more traditional HT with a strong fragrance, not common in a yellow.

• drpraetorius
    10 years ago

I live in zone 7b. I have always had good results from Oregold. It holds it's color quite well in our hot summers.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    10 years ago

My pick for a yellow rose is Nacogdoches [named for the oldest town in Texas]. It is a healthy bush and the bloom is a bright non-fading yellow.
    Judith

• pembroke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have decided on the Mellow Yellow rose. There were a lot of great suggestions, THANK YOU. I really don't care much for the grafted roses so I looked at Heirloom's selection (all own root). Heirloom has some real nice roses to choose from and their delivery is fantastic, Mellow Yellow has been delivered and in the ground with not one leaf removed thanks to their packaging & looks to be strong and healthy. Thanks again. Pembroke