Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rose question

Posted by Newbie90 none (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 19, 14 at 9:05

sorry if this is a silly question but was wondering if there is something wrong with my roses, as you can see they start of fine and lovely like the rose on the right but then they go like the rose on the left. is this a disease or is this how they naturally die when old.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rose question

Usually it is caused by the botryis fungus which spreads in cool weather with occasional rain. There is little or nothing you can do about it. Just pick off the spoiled blooms. Some varieties are more susceptible than others. I try to avoid those.

o

I'm new to gardening myself but that just looks like an old bloom to me. But someone else with more experience will be able tell you for sure! :)

o

Yeah some botrytis, I guess. But some roses just DO that, rather than dropping the petals of old blooms.

See here: The rose on the right looks pretty good. The middle one is faded, and starting to get that "old Kleenex" look. The one on the right is in-between.

Deadhead, and the messy thing is gone. :-)

Jeri

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 19, 14 at 16:40

I think it's just an old spent bloom that needs dead heading. Botrytis would effect all the blooms not just the old ones. You'd see brown edges on all the petals even the tight buds. And the buds would probably not open all the way like the one on the right is. Different varieties will age in different ways. Some hang on to their petals and get the used kleenex look while others will simple drop all their petals.

o

Ah that's good news hopefully then :) thanks for the help everyone

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here