Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
avgusta_gw

if deer ate bayer treated roses

avgusta_gw
10 years ago

After I use Bayer 3 in 1, deer show up and have a very nice breakfast by eating about half of my roses. I just wonder, will it kill them or make them sick or they will lose their ability to reproduce or at least they will lose their memory where they had such a nice meal?
I hate deer.

Comments (15)

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

I hate them too so I hope it does kill a few. It probably won't though.

• roseseek
    10 years ago

I doubt they would be able to eat enough of the product to do any major damage (unfortunately). I'd personally be frightened of any product that could prove toxic to any animal the size of a deer from eating the tops of the roses. Imagine what that stuff could do to YOU simply handling it and digging in the soil in which it is applied. I don't want to handle soil in which any systemics are poured. Kim

• michaelg
    10 years ago

Man is in the forest!

• deervssteve
    10 years ago

Bayer 3 in 1 is only an appetite stimulant. You should be using Bayer 4 in 1 which repels deer. Unfortunately, the product doesn't exist because deer repellant isn't a reliable way to keep deer from chomping.

Deer chomping is not the same for all roses except HT.
    They are capricious in their attacks, just when you think you have it figured out, you don't.

I gave up on HT 20 years ago because of deer. I tried deer repellant last year on RDV and it seemed to be working until it didn't. In the mean time I planted four HT and the were being eaten. I ended up making 4 foot diameter, 4 foot high wire cages. I spent a lot of time anchoring them and it was a pain to unhook them to work on the roses.
    I realized that the cages were heavy enough to deter the deer so they are now easy to remove and replace. I can sleep peacefully knowing my HT are protected. As for the other roses, I caged one and may cage another but for the rest, I'm taking my chances.

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Oh, my word! I just had a flash....expect a report that deer spread RRD and RMV! Kim

• avgusta_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This morning I was waiting them since 5 a.m. At 5:40 a.m. it show on my property. Definitely, at least one of them survived and still had a memory. I told it that Rose buffet closed , it had to run away. But now I know their breakfast time and can guard my roses just like a watch dog.

• catsrose
    10 years ago

I am fairly certain that deer spread RRD.

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    10 years ago

Pesticide Safety 101: The most dangerous part of working with chemicals is the concentrated pesticide being transferred to the sprayer. Most chemicals we get are not that dangerous and it would take a deer eating over a pound of the raw chemical to hurt it, not kill it.

• avgusta_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

But for some reason they warn you to stop to spray several weeks before harvesting, or not spay at all if something supposed to be consumed by humans, right?

• nickl
    10 years ago

The only environment hazards mentioned on the label are to aquatic organisms and bees. If it was specifically hazardous to other wildlife, it would be on there.

As far as safety is concerned, follow the label in all respects, especially the parts about personal protection. In general. for ANY pesticide, wear long pants, long-sleeve shirt, shoes and socks, gloves, and eye and breathing protection

• henry_kuska
    10 years ago

Those may not be deer that you are observing. Possibly mutated giant voles whose grandparents ate some very small doses of tebucanozole (an Endocrine Disruptor) in your rose garden. :

Here is a link that might be useful: earlier discussion of tebucanozole

• blocke19
    10 years ago

I hate deer too.This week I put a bunch of milorganite all around the roses to deter deer and groundhogs from around the house and weirdly I think it's working. Haven't had a chewed bush or seen a one since! Unfortunately, it's not the nicest smelling stuff especially after it rains but that's going away

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Get ready to put down something else as strongly unpleasant smelling as the milorganite once it sufficiently dissipates. It's that stench that repels the deer. If all they can smell is that stench, they can't smell you or a coyote about to kill or eat them. It doesn't matter whether the smell is attractive or replusive, as long as it is STRONG and lasting. That stink "jams their radar", their sense of smell. That's why it works. That's also why they most often avoid areas full of strong smelling plants. Rosemary carries very well on the air and when it does, they tend to avoid it like the plague. When the smell isn't strongly airborne, they ignore it and graze away. They avoid predator urine because they know the predators "mark" their territory with urine to alert others it belongs to them. No self respecting deer or rabbit wants to be where they know something considers "their territory". They avoid the blood meal smell because that indicates something else was recently killed and feasted on right there and they know they COULD be next. But, whatever the stink is, you have to keep it fresh and strong or it becomes part of the back ground smells and they ignore it like plastic owls. Kim

• avgusta_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, I do believe in milorganite. It works for me 2 years. I 've just got late with spreading it this year and they (deer) show up. I put it now to every rose bush and apple tree. Nobody have come after that yet.

• deervssteve
    10 years ago

Nothing smell related worked for me; milorganite, blood meal, predator urine, deer repellant.

I made 4 foot diameter by 4 foot high cages and don't worry about the deer anymore. I found out that the cages are heavy enough not to require anchoring.If I want HT aka deer crack, I cage them. I had well over 100 bushes and now I am willing to have, fewer but protected bushes.