Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
canadianplant

Planting new roses/info on planted roses

canadianplant
10 years ago

In the last 4 or 5 years I have been landscaping my yard. Most of it is dedicated to fruit, but I use beneficials, like roses to attract insects.

I have tried many kinds, and the one I have had the longest is "the hunter". Strong grower, but the colour is a bit drab. Seems a bit susceptable to black spot, although we had a cool wet spring. Last year I planted what I thought was a "Red rugosa", but I noticed after looking at the tag, there is another label "Ramblin red". It is indeed the ramblin red. I thought I would try my luck with "Peace", although since it is a hybrid tea, I am not holding my breath.

That leads me to my 2 new plants. I found "Hope for humanity" and "blanc double de courbet". I am about 90% sure I know someone growing the courbet. The plant is about 6 feet tall and 5 feet across, and the smell is intense. It is said this is a shade tolerant rose as well?

I am wondering if anyone here is growing any of the above roses and can give me any information.

Also, I am finding conflicting reports of how tall "hope for humanity" grows. It seems the height is determined by the amount of dieback it gets, or how harsh you prune it? The tag and some places say 3- 4 feet, ive read as high as 6 or 7 feet.

Comments (4)

• michaelg
    10 years ago

It's "Coubert" with only one R. Sorry I can't help you with experience, but this website is very useful.

Here is a link that might be useful: HMF

• catsrose
    10 years ago

There are lots of different Rugosas and they should do well for you.

Also, here's a link to Pickering Nurseries. It is Ontario, mail order, and they can help you select roses that will do well for you. http://www.pickeringnurseries.com/

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    10 years ago

I quite like my Hope for Humanity, and being a Canadian explorer it should be a good choice for your zone. Mine is about 4-5 feet tall in zone 5 in its fourth year, without much dieback in my zone (and it's tucked into a zone 4 pocket in my yard). You're right that the ultimate height relates to how much you have to chop off from winter kill to some extent, but a well-established rose will grow by the end of the season to the height it wants to be if it's suited to your zone. In other words, even if you have to trim it to almost the ground in early spring, it'll shoot back up in the spring and summer if it's happy (and you don't cut it below the graft, obviously). Don't judge its ultimate height in the first few years as it's getting settled, since the plant is liable to spend more time putting down roots than building height at first.

I don't grow Blanc Double de Coubert, but if you know someone in your area that grows it, then that's a likely option for your yard. I had it at a previous house but it didn't like my alkaline soil and faded pretty quickly to rather scruffy used blooms that you have to deadhead frequently to keep the bush looking nice.

Peace is a lovely rose, but being a Hybrid Tea it's pretty unlikely to be hardy in zone 3-4 unless you grow it in a pot and bring it into a protected unheated space for the winter. I can get away with leaving my hybrid teas in the ground in zone 5, but much colder than me it isn't really a viable option unless you have a particularly hardy hybrid tea or a protected zone pocket with consistent snow cover. Always worth a try if you're a gambler, but that one's a long shot compared to the others (including Rambling Red) that are more sure bets in your zone.

Cynthia

• canadianplant
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ah, thanks Cat, ill have to check that site out more. Hortco is another good one for mail order..

Nippstress - Thanks for the input.

My grandma has Coubert and the flowers react the same, even in good growing conditions. The bonus seems that it blooms so much at once when its large, you dont notice the fading blooms.

I knew getting a hybrid tea was a gamble, but at first glance when i looked it up, it seemed to be hardy to zone 5. After I got it and read up a bit more, its hardy to zone 6 apparently. The bonus is, I do happen to have it in one of the warmest microclimates in my yard, with the usual abundance and persistant snow in the winter. Its in the same area as my niagra grapes, and musa basjoo (first year for those, and the peace). You have any recommendations on hardier hybrid teas?

I was pleasantly surprised at the ramblin red. It is a one cane wonder this year, but still had a large flush of hybrid tea like roses. I want it to sprawl in my russian olive, plum trees and garage.

The bonus is that all my roses minus the hybrid tea seems to be on their own roots. They can die back all they need to, the odds are theyll come back.

You are also right about letting them settle. My grandma has a rose called "hero". The tag says 5 feet, well, the thing put out multiple 9 foot 2 inch thick canes straight up. Totally self supporting too. I hope it did the same after she moved it!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting