Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandandsun_gw

Exibitors: Exhibiting & Judging

sandandsun
9 years ago

Did you know that GardenWeb has a forum JUST for exhibitors?

Exhibitors can discuss more than just rules, manuals, and show results there.

Exhibitors can discuss the BEST roses for exhibition purposes.

Exhibitors can discuss which fungicides provide the best results.

Exhibitors can discuss which fertilizers produce the most amazing exhibition blooms, etc.

Exhibitors can post photos of prize winners or hopefuls, etc.

An exhibitor's forum - just spread the word, post and participate.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rose Exhibiting

Comments (12)

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Thanks, sandandsun. I check it now and then but there's never any activity there. It would be nice if some of us started to post there. A lot of people here in the rose forum aren't interested in exhibiting so there isn't much discussion. It would be nice to have some good discussions about it in a nice friendly place. I hope people will go there and start posting.

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

OK, so I posted a new thread. Lets see if any one responds

• sandandsun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi seil,

What's the name of the thread? I don't see a recent one with your name on the Exhibiting Forum.

BTW, if I am aware that there are a LOT of exhibitors who post regularly to this forum, then surely you realize it.

And I think what is more important than whether a "lot of people here in the rose forum aren't interested in exhibiting" as you say, is that most folks often aren't interested in the high maintenance routines that many exhibitors take for granted.

Take for granted to such an extent that when they post photos of their roses, they often neglect to mention the high maintainence routines that produced them. This kind of behavior greatly complicates the success of novices and other folk alike - just as the decades of glossy magazine pictures of roses that couldn't present a respectable appearance without such treatment did. Similarly, those magazine captions (and the associated articles) neglected to mention the requirement as well.

And folks who aren't interested in the regimen would be highly disappointed if they invested the time and money to purchase and plant those kinds of roses only to find out....

Surely good people don't want to intentionally mislead the innocent? I was taught that there was a word for that kind of behavior.

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

OOPS! Lol, my bad! I posted it in the wrong forum! I just fixed that, I hope. It's called What are your bankers?

I understand what you're saying. We don't want to mislead anyone. That's why using the exhibition forum would be a good thing. In the regular rose forum it can be misleading to post those photos you talk about of some of the more fussy show roses and not tell people they are more high maintenance. By using the exhibitors forum we would avoid that situation. People should realize going in that forum that show roses require some extra effort.

I have to admit though that I RARELY spray mine at all. However, I also don't have a heart attack if the leaves aren't perfect all summer either. We only have a spring show in June here and that's normally when my roses look their best anyway. Black spot pressure doesn't usually start until mid-July.

I have posted some of my show results on the regular rose forum but I sometimes feel uncomfortable doing so. I get the feeling that it's not a particularly welcome topic here. So I would love to get some action going on the exhibitors forum instead. Then I think those of us who do enjoy showing our roses would feel freer to post things about that side of roses. Every one has their likes and dislikes and that's fine. We just need to use the right place to post our exhibiting experiences.

• ken-n.ga.mts
    9 years ago

I go over there at least once a week. Kinda lonely with just 3 or 4 people showing any interest. All you "non exhibitors" want to know what we do and why we do it?? Just ask. 99.9% of us are not a bunch of snobs with our noses in the air. We are here to help ANYONE with rose related questions. Exhibitors understand most folks don't have any interest in exhibiting their roses and we're good with that. We try to make growing roses fun and as easy as possible. That's the way I was taught and that is the way I will be with anyone. I'm headed over to do some posting. Want to know what makes an exhibitor tick?? Come on over and ask questions.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    9 years ago

The exhibiting forum was created when Spike still ran the forum. There were a lot more exhibitors on GW then, and there was more activity, until a bunch of them left for a competing forum (which doesn't seem very active now). There are a few of us still around. I take a look once a week or so. I do more judging than exhibiting, but am happy to answer any questions, in the exhibitor's forum.

• buford
    9 years ago

I've just started to get into exhibiting seriously. My society has it's show in the fall, this year it's on the 11th. So right now I've been pruning and fertilizing for that show. I do want to add more 'show worthy' roses for next year. I usually do the Greater Atlanta Show, the South Metro Show and our show. I haven't gotten to the point where I travel to go to shows..yet.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    9 years ago

I would like to comment from the point of view of someone who doesn't exhibit. From the beginning of joining this forum I have checked the Exhibitors Forum several times, only to be disappointed, because it is inactive. Maybe I'm the exception. I personally wouldn't have a problem with exhibitors posting on this forum either. I am on this forum because I love roses period, I think we all have that in common. I personally like to learn more about topics I am not that familiar with, I want to be more knowledgeable about all facets of rose growing. Usually when I see a post that looks interesting to me I check it out, if I'm not I don't, we all have that option. I think since this is a rose forum everything about rose growing should be covered. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing more posts of your prize winners! Whether it is on the Exhibitors Forum or this one, I don't think you should hesitate to discuss it or posting your beautiful prize winning pictures, I don't know why anyone would or should have a problem with that, aren't we adults?

• buford
    9 years ago

I'm sure the separate forum was set up for the exhibitors, but I've also posted show results here.

On Facebook, there is a group 'Inside the Rosarian's Trophy Room'. Basically just a brag site for roses and trophies! It's great.

• HybridTea Zone 8 NC
    9 years ago

Long time lurker here, usually visiting the site every few days. I too would often check the exhibitors forum but noticed it was not nearly as active so I tended to just view posts here.

Based on this thread I finally signed up to be a member, and added a few comments to the exhibitors forum. I am a new exhibitor (just completed my 2nd show) and I am ALWAYS searching to feed my information hunger. Looking forward to posting more.

• thedogsLL
    9 years ago

I agree with Sara-Ann. I love looking at all of your photos, exhibition or not, and learning from all of you. So what if it's show-related? It's still about roses!
    Lynn T

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    9 years ago

I would rather leave the exhibiting questions/discussions to the Exhibiting forum, and not revisit that discussion again, it got very, um, heated at times, and good friends who exhibit no longer post to GW.