Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kentucky_rose

Daybreaker - pros and cons

I'm already thinking about 2008 rose season. I would appreciate any feedback on Daybreaker, e.g. abundance of blooms, do they last long, disease resistance, size of bush, and the ultimate question is, "Would you buy it again, knowing how it performs in your garden?" Thanks in advance!

Comments (11)

• roseleaf
    16 years ago

Those are very pretty photos, Niecey. I really like the coloration of DB, so refresh and cheerful. Unfortunately I havenÂt grown it due to the reports of bs when not sprayed.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    16 years ago

This is a GOOD rose that is probably a GREAT rose in areas that have moderate summer temperatures. This is it's 3rd year for me and it's here (so far) because of it's good points in spring and fall when it's color, shape, and fragrance are at their peak. It makes a good cut flower then too, with a quick repeat. It must be sprayed for blackspot here and Thrips find it somewhat attractive.

• hotroses
    16 years ago

I think maryl has it right with "GREAT rose in areas that have moderate summer temperatures" I saw it in Portland and Seattle and it was stunning. I grew it in Houston and Charlotte it was mediocre. Hot weather reduces blooms and washes out the color. Humidity brings on the blackspot. I know I shouldn't compare roses growing in the PNW with those grown in the south - but my heart is in the PNW and my body (and home)in the south. What is a rose grower to do?

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    16 years ago

Good:
    quantity of blooms
    quick repeat
    form of blooms
    vigor
    Bad:
    needs better disease resistance
    has little fragrance
    color fading

• gardenfanatic2003
    16 years ago

Niecey, feel free to get carried away any time you feel like it! :-)

Deanna

• patrick45
    16 years ago

wow those roses look gorgeous!! I just might grow daybreakers as my very first rosebush!

• ostrich
    16 years ago

I love my Daybreaker too! This is my first year and it's already blooming a lot for me. I posted this photo here before:

{{gwi:313749}}

The only drawback was that it developed powdery mildew easily but it seemed to be under control after I sprayed it with Orthenex.

Otherwise, I don't have any complaints... sure, it could have been more fragrant, but we can't have everything, can we? :-)

• jont1
    16 years ago

Patrick growing a DayBreaker as your very first rose would be a good idea. There are certainly many roses that would be much more troublesome to start out with by far.
    DayBreaker is my absolute of all my 200+ roses I grow and it has been that way for quite some time, so this is no passing fancy.
    John

• liane_z4_canada
    16 years ago

Hands down my new favorite and I would like to thank everyone who recomened this rose to me last year. I do use a systemic funguside. It has a good 20 blooms on it right now (third flush) in its first year. I can't wait to see in once it is established.
    Liane

• Muggy23
    9 years ago

I only have space for 10 roses, and Day Breaker has been my favorite rose by far since I planted it about 5 years ago. The flower form and color are exquisite and it is the most prolific bloomer of all my roses, with 20-40 blossoms continuously from mid-May to late October. The bush is compact and I like its tall growth habit.

The climate here in Portland, OR is perfect for Day Breaker and mine has never had powdery mildew or black spot even though I don't spray. About my only minor quibbles with it are that it attracts aphids more than my other roses, and it isn't strongly scented. But in all other ways it is just about the perfect rose.