Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
never grown anything before but hooked on roses !!

Posted by jason97 none (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 10:43

hello everyone....new to this gardening but have been hooked by roses so please can anybody tell me why this second lot of blooms look like this.....first set of blooms were really healthy with lovely scent many thanks for your input and patience...... as i will be back for more !

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: never grown anything before but hooked on roses !!

Have you had lots of rain? High humidity? This can cause balling in some roses. Hard to tell without name of rose and your location.

If this rose is planted within two feet of that brick wall, you might consider moving it out. Lime in the mortar leeches into soil and can affect ph levels.

o

hi harryshoe... the rose is named " jude the obscure " by david Austin it was planted next to another rose of his named Gertrude jeckyll which seems to be healthy we live in poole dorset and yes it has been quite hummid these last few weeks

o

On roses with a zillion petals or more (like David Austin roses) it helps to gently peel back the outer layer of petals with your fingers.

o

I don't see what's wrong with your JtO, Jason. He looks healthy, and the buds seem fine to me. Do you mean they don't open--they balled? Or the size of the buds not as big and full as the one you've seen previously?

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 12:55

Jason, we need to know where you live. There are a lot of things that can affect blooms and a lot of them are condition related, like disease pressures, soil and weather. Knowing where you live will helps us determine what conditions the rose is growing in. Then we need to know exactly what you see that is wrong with this rose. The leaves look fairly healthy. The buds are a little droopy but some Austins are like that naturally. So I don't see what the problem is.

o

hi to all who came back with comments...... we live in the south of England and for the past month or so its been quite warm and humid I will try suggestion of peeling back gently the outer leaves thanks to all of you any other comments much appreciated !!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here