Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question on Plum Perfect Rose

Posted by jim1961 6a Central Pa. (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 7, 14 at 11:00

Newer Kordes (Plum Perfect) Rose is listed on HMF as only growing to 12 inches to 16 inches tall... Is this a mistake?

Chamblees nursery has it listed as growing 3.5 ft tall...

Can someone shed some light on this thanks....

What are the actual bloom size also? Thanks!

Any info is much appreciated...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question on Plum Perfect Rose

There was a lot of discussion about this rose on here last year (you might want to use the "Search" button below to find it), which included the statement by several folks that the description on HMF was wrong. Looking at the size of the blooms, it does not seem likely that this bush only gets 12-16 inches tall.

Jackie

o

Ok thanks jacqueline3 I'll search for that other thread...

o

Mine, though newly planted this year, is about 2+ feet tall. Don't know how large it will get, but its blooms are just lovely, foliage is healthy. An excellent rosarian from Houston was quoted as saying it was the best floribunda she has. I sure like mine - I bought 2 more!
Judith

o

Thanks Judith! I already ordered it for next Spring so we will see how it does here in the Northeast...

I also ordered the new Kordes rose "Rose Of Hope" ...

o

Jim -- I planted it as a band this spring. I haven't seen a bloom yet, but the bush so far is fast growing and very, very disease resistant. It is about 2 or 3 feet tall now, and has maintained all its leaves even though I do not spray. It is competing with various perennials, and my observation is that this one has great vigor on its own root.

o

Great to hear farmerduck! Not sure why your not getting blooms though?... Where did you buy your Plum Perfect?
Chamblees?

o

Yes, Jim. I got it from Chamblee's. It did have a few buds that were deformed (or eaten?) because of bugs earlier. I do not really expect any blooms from my bands in their first year. As long as they are gaining size at a reasonable pace, I am happy. Two other Kordes came from Chamblee's in the same shipment: Poseidon and Solero Vigorosos. SV have bloomed quite a bit, but all three are doing great in terms of size. I am looking forward to how they do next season.

o

• Posted by jim1961 6a Central Pa. (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 22:27

Make sure you do not have a insect called a Rose Midge on your Plum Perfect rose bush.
They can cause your roses not to be able to bloom.
And since you mentioned your Plum Perfect rose hasn't bloomed yet this season...

Just something to think about......

I just went through that with two Carefree Sunshines that were not blooming in there second season. Well one CS had a couple blooms all season. The other one no blooms...
My situation I only had Rose Midge on those two roses so I took them both out and bagged them up for the trash. Then I churned up the soil where the roses were planted and sprayed soil with insecticide...
I think the Rose Midge came in both Carefree Sunshines from the vendor...

Hopefully your Plum Perfect just hasn't felt like blooming yet...

Rose Midge did this damage to bud...

photo IMG_1183_zps40d1be58.jpg

This post was edited by jim1961 on Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 22:38

o

Thanks, Jim. I will definitely need to look into this. Thanks again.

o

I work as the introducer of Kordes and just a note to say that Plum Perfect when established is about 3'-3.5' when established in Zone 8 -Pacific Northwest location. I do not think it will grow above 4 feet in any climate. It is compact shrub and maintains a nice sized bloom even in a very hot summer.

o

• Posted by jim1961 6a Central Pa. (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 13:11

Thanks newroses for the info! That smaller sized bush is fine with me...

o

Newroses -- I remembered reading one of your postings where you said that PP was not introduced in Europe. Do you have any insight as to why?

Jim - thanks again. I did some readings on Rose Midge while commuting today on my phone. Yes, it looks I have RM galore in my garden. For whatever reason, Rose Midge was never on my radar. Oh, well....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here