Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jim1961_gw

Question on Plum Perfect Rose

Newer Kordes (Plum Perfect) Rose is listed on HMF as only growing to 12 inches to 16 inches tall... Is this a mistake?

Chamblees nursery has it listed as growing 3.5 ft tall...

Can someone shed some light on this thanks....

What are the actual bloom size also? Thanks!

Any info is much appreciated...

Comments (26)

• jacqueline9CA
    9 years ago

There was a lot of discussion about this rose on here last year (you might want to use the "Search" button below to find it), which included the statement by several folks that the description on HMF was wrong. Looking at the size of the blooms, it does not seem likely that this bush only gets 12-16 inches tall.

Jackie

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok thanks jacqueline3 I'll search for that other thread...

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    9 years ago

Mine, though newly planted this year, is about 2+ feet tall. Don't know how large it will get, but its blooms are just lovely, foliage is healthy. An excellent rosarian from Houston was quoted as saying it was the best floribunda she has. I sure like mine - I bought 2 more!
    Judith

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Judith! I already ordered it for next Spring so we will see how it does here in the Northeast...

I also ordered the new Kordes rose "Rose Of Hope" ...

• User
    9 years ago

Jim -- I planted it as a band this spring. I haven't seen a bloom yet, but the bush so far is fast growing and very, very disease resistant. It is about 2 or 3 feet tall now, and has maintained all its leaves even though I do not spray. It is competing with various perennials, and my observation is that this one has great vigor on its own root.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Great to hear farmerduck! Not sure why your not getting blooms though?... Where did you buy your Plum Perfect?
    Chamblees?

• User
    9 years ago

Yes, Jim. I got it from Chamblee's. It did have a few buds that were deformed (or eaten?) because of bugs earlier. I do not really expect any blooms from my bands in their first year. As long as they are gaining size at a reasonable pace, I am happy. Two other Kordes came from Chamblee's in the same shipment: Poseidon and Solero Vigorosos. SV have bloomed quite a bit, but all three are doing great in terms of size. I am looking forward to how they do next season.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Make sure you do not have a insect called a Rose Midge on your Plum Perfect rose bush.
    They can cause your roses not to be able to bloom.
    And since you mentioned your Plum Perfect rose hasn't bloomed yet this season...

Just something to think about......

I just went through that with two Carefree Sunshines that were not blooming in there second season. Well one CS had a couple blooms all season. The other one no blooms...
    My situation I only had Rose Midge on those two roses so I took them both out and bagged them up for the trash. Then I churned up the soil where the roses were planted and sprayed soil with insecticide...
    I think the Rose Midge came in both Carefree Sunshines from the vendor...

Hopefully your Plum Perfect just hasn't felt like blooming yet...

Rose Midge did this damage to bud...

{{gwi:313497}}

This post was edited by jim1961 on Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 22:38

• User
    9 years ago

Thanks, Jim. I will definitely need to look into this. Thanks again.

• newroses
    9 years ago

I work as the introducer of Kordes and just a note to say that Plum Perfect when established is about 3'-3.5' when established in Zone 8 -Pacific Northwest location. I do not think it will grow above 4 feet in any climate. It is compact shrub and maintains a nice sized bloom even in a very hot summer.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks newroses for the info! That smaller sized bush is fine with me...

• User
    9 years ago

Newroses -- I remembered reading one of your postings where you said that PP was not introduced in Europe. Do you have any insight as to why?

Jim - thanks again. I did some readings on Rose Midge while commuting today on my phone. Yes, it looks I have RM galore in my garden. For whatever reason, Rose Midge was never on my radar. Oh, well....

• rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)
    8 years ago

I'd like to resurrect this question, never answered.

farmerduck Newroses
    -- I remembered reading one of your postings where you said that PP was
    not introduced in Europe. Do you have any insight as to why?

PP still not seen on Kordes site, now, in 2016? Anyone know why not?

farmerduck also got me thinking about RM. It could explain a few things observed last year here. I, too, thought it was only present "elsewhere". When in fact I now see it was first described > 100 years ago - In NJ!

Original Author
    8 years ago

Plum Perfect can be found here:

http://newflora.com/product/plum-perfect-rose/

RIFIS ASKED:

rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)

I'd like to resurrect this question, never answered.

farmerduck Newroses -- I remembered reading one of your postings where you said that PP was not introduced in Europe. Do you have any insight as to why?

PP still not seen on Kordes site, now, in 2016? Anyone know why not?

farmerduck also got me thinking about RM. It could explain a few things observed last year here. I, too, thought it was only present "elsewhere". When in fact I now see it was first described > 100 years ago - In NJ!

• rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)
    8 years ago

jim1961 posted:

jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.

Plum Perfect can be found here:

http://newflora.com/product/plum-perfect-rose/

Yes, I had reviewed that before posting my query.

In 2014, farmerduck had asked Newroses why PP had not been introduced in Europe.

Today, I had looked at this site

http://www.kordes-rosen.com/gartenrosen

("the Kordes site"), and did not see PP (under any name). I thus inferred that PP still has not been released in Europe. I, too, was curious why that was so. Especially as almost 2 years have elapsed since farmerduck first asked.

• User
    7 years ago

Oh dear, looking at my post, I realized that I was talking about the wrong roses!!! That rose in the picture I posted is probably Caramel Fairy Tale, not Plum Perfect, both came as bands. I have two own-root Plum Perfect now. One is two-year old, and one planted last year. Both are small in size. Neither has bloomed much so far, but that might be due to rose midge. The two-year old is probably 1.5 x 1.5. It might be too early to say, but this might be a rose benefiting from grafting on rootstock grown here in 6a/6b.

Sorry for the misleading information... On its own root, this is not a vigorous plant, or so it seems so far in my garden...

• chris2486
    7 years ago

In N. America we have some Kordes bred roses we introduce that Kordes does not introduce in Europe for various reason - examples Plum Perfect, Savannah, South Africa, Lemon Fizz Kolorscape. That is not to say they are not really great roses. Someday Kordes may introduce them. Plum Perfect has been introduced in S. Africa and Australia under the name Novalis. A lot of consideration goes into an introduction that is not to say it is not a good rose including regional tastes, what is already introduced in the same color range, climate, cold hardiness, disease resistance and so on.

Plum Perfect is one of the most floriferous roses I have in trial. It is not a big bush - it is now reaching 3 tall' x 3.5' wide in my home garden after 3 years planted from an own root band pot. It is a vigorous rose in my Zone 8 - just compact. In colder climates I wonder if it will get big enough, but quite a few of the trial sites have also been happy with the flower production and the relatively compact size of this rose. It is one of the last roses still in bloom in my garden and was blooming this past December. I rate it among my favorites just for the bloom power. It has one bloom open today, but I will shoot an image for you tomorrow so you can see what I mean about compact, but vigorous.

• User
    7 years ago

Just ran outside to take this picture. Own root PP, two years old and 1 year old. Hope to see some flowers this year, rose midge permits. I am hoping to see that the 2-year old comes into its own this year.

• Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Chris2486, since you posted this last April, you might not return to this thread. But you said, "Plum Perfect has been introduced in S. Africa and Australia under the name Novalis". However, Novalis is Poseidon. I saw this thread today, because I ordered Plum Perfect and was searching old threads. I hope Plum Perfect will like my hot zone better than Poseidon.

Jim, do you still have Plum Perfect?

• chris2486
    7 years ago

Sorry you are right it is introduced under the name Vodacom .

We have Poseidon in Earth Kind trials in Houston and reports have been positive. What I see here on Poseidon is it does fine in heat as a plant but with low humidity and high heat the flowers get edge burn and generally don't tolerate the very high heat. What I mean by high heat is 100 F and humidity in the 20-28% range. The difference is Houston is consistently in the 90's in summer but also has high humidity. I am guessing you are in the inland area of Southern California?

Yes Plum Perfect does do well in heat and does very well here in high heat and low humidity - much better than Poseidon. We just finished a week of 100 + weather and it looks good out on my patio.

Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I have not tried Plum Perfect yet but probably will plant one next year... I've been waiting to see how Plum Perfect does in our cooler type climate... Patty grows Plum Perfect in zone 5...

From what I understand Plum Perfect does well in hot areas:

http://newflora.com/kordes-roses/sunbelt-rose-collection/

• Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    7 years ago

Jim, because of a previous thread you had posted on Plum Perfect, I thought you had ordered it already.

Chris, yes I live in the hot and dry inland dessert of Santa Clarita. I'm looking forward to seeing how Plum Perfect does in my climate. I also ordered Florentina, Quick Silver and climbing Iceberg to plant next fall.

Original Author
    7 years ago

I was very close to ordering Bonnie but backed off until I seen how it did in the cooler climates similar to ours...I think I will pull the trigger next Spring and try it here...

• chris2486
    7 years ago

I think that this next year it will be available on multiflora from Palatine. That might be recommended in colder climates.

Jasminerose you should be very happy with these 2 climbers. They both bloom through the hottest weather here.

Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I did plant a Plum Perfect 1 gallon own root this year in mid May...I'll see how it does here own root... I'll consider getting PP on multiflora if this own root doesn't work out...

Took this pic today: