Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rieleym

All vines no buds?

RieleyM
10 years ago

I am very confused and need some assistance, I have this young rose bush that budded and bloomed last year but summer is almost over and I have not seen any buds what so ever! The vines just grow longer and longer, it had some mildew problems a month or so ago but I don't see how that could be the issue..help!

Comments (8)

• Karolina11
    10 years ago

If you bought it at a big box store, chances are it was grown in a greenhouse and pumped full of fertilizer in order to make it bloom. It is not completely out of whack for roses to bloom the year after you get them and then take a break in order to build roots the following season. However, if you take some photos so we can see what type of rose you have and let us know where you are located and what care you give this rose, we can help with figuring out whether there are other issues at play.

• petaloid
    10 years ago

Another possibility -

Most commercially-grown roses have the named variety grafted onto a "rootstock" variety,

If the top part of the bush dies back (freezing winters, lack of water, etc.) the vigorous rootstock variety often keeps growing.

"Dr, Huey" is the most common rootstock used. It has long branches and tends to get powdery mildew. In my area we see some red blooms in late spring, but few or none during the rest of the year.

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

Where are you, generally? Do you know what type of rose this is, or is supposed to be? When we know, we can be more helpful.

Jackie

• RieleyM
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I bought the rose at pecks (it's a more on the natural side plant store)
    It was also a root with only a few vines and leaves, very small.
    I'm in Iowa, and it usually has an ok weather, stable enough for roses and I'm pretty sure it's a climber rose. Oh and I use Espoma organic rose-tons for fertilizer, I don't use much though..

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Yup, it's a climber all right. It looks for all the world like Dr. Huey, the climber used as root stock. Whatever the climber variety may be, most don't flower immediately, particularly if they are once flowering. Some can take three years (and a TON of growth) before they are ready to flower. It doesn't appear to be a great spot for something which appears to want to be a large plant. Kim

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

If it is Dr. Huey it won't bloom this season. Next spring you might get some small dark red single roses. And that's it. It only blooms once a season.

I think what ever rose it was you bought died off over winter and this root stock came up instead. If you want a climber there I'd dig this out and next spring (I don't recommend fall planting in your zone) buy something else with a prettier bloom that will bloom all season. There are lots of other roses that will do better than Dr. Huey. When you plant it plant the base of the rose where the graft is below the ground about 4 inches for better winter protection. I'm pretty sure Iowa is mostly zone 5 and roses need to be planted deep and protected in some manor for winter.

• joshtx
    10 years ago

Rieley,

Could you snap a pic of the underside of the rose for us? That way we can determine if the rootstock has overtaken the plant.

Also, how hard did you prune it over the winter? Was it to the ground? Some climbing roses only bloom on old wood. It may be that your rose is such a climber and will bloom after the wood has matured.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

It looks like 'Dr Huey' to me also. You will know for sure if it is 'Dr Huey' if it blooms next spring on the canes it grew this year. (If they don't get killed by winter). The flowers will be a very pretty dark red, with not a whole lot of petals, and little or no fragrance.