Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaesgarden

Pepper galore...

kaesgarden
9 years ago

Hello fellow gardeners,

A week ago i pulled up a rose bush that wasn't flowering that smelt heavily like pepper, just brushing your fingers over the plant seemed to coat you in it. I posted on Name this plant! To get an ID on the cutting since the smell bothers me, i wanted to make sure it was in fact just that a rose by some sort.

It was suggested it could be Reine des Violettes 2 days ago a new seedling as sprouted and all that pepper smell... Well the smell annoys me but is there a way to successfully transplant the entire plant without causing harm as now i would like to keep it just not in front of my house as my side garden has 4 different types of rose bushes that came with the home when we purchased it. I didnt plant this bush, it must of been a " gift " from mother nature.

Any suggestions, as i would like to do as little damage as possible this time round.

Thank you in advance,
Scarlet.

Comments (3)

• roseseek
    9 years ago

The peppery scent is common with many China roses and their descendants which inherit the trait. It sounds as if what happened is the rose is returning from the roots left in the ground when the original was removed. You'll have to dig out the root ball intact to transplant it. The more roots left in the ground, the greater the chances the rose will grow back in the original spot. If you transplant it now, while it's hotter, you run a greater probability of the plant failing. If you wish to safely transplant it, waiting until the rains start and cooler weather arrives gives you better odds. Kim

• kaesgarden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Fantastic, Thanks so much Kim, the very least i can do for a plant so obvious to live is transplant somewhere else.

Fingers crossed, i'll wait until the end of September early oct. I'm sure by then Wa state will have more than plenty of rain.

Cheers.

• roseseek
    9 years ago

You're welcome! I hope it helps. Good luck with the transplant. Kim