Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
t_bred

Sawflies,sawflies and carpenter bees...

t_bred
11 years ago

I wanted to post my observations from this summer in hopes to possibly help another newer grower. There is so much info out there but it can take quite a while to compare it.

What I have learned is that I seem to have two different types of sawflies that do two different types of damage. The first being the rose slug producing type that munch on the underside of leaves,and the second being the type that lays eggs under the bark of canes and damages them. The former causes unsightly leaves and the latter can really do a number by destroying feet of cane in multiples. This is the first year I've had the rose stem sawfly but it's done a lot of damage,I've had to prune several canes almost to the graft to find healthy tissue.

I also learned that the holes I have found in the cut ends of large diameter canes are home to a small little carpenter bee, when I have pruned the cane down an inch or so below the hole,there is no damage. I guess these little bees aren't so bad after all.

Just wanted to put this out there for others unsure what they may be dealing with.

Comments (3)