Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dsd2682

Spider Mites! Help!!!

SoFL Rose z10
10 years ago

Hi All,
I've been rose gardening for about 3 years and for the first time ever I have spider mites on one of my roses. They have infested my once gorgeous Pope John Paul rose!
I have never had this problem with my roses and unfortunately what I thought was heat damage (august in South Florida) actually has turned out to be a major infestation of spider mites.
I think they have a grip on a few of my other roses too. The ones that seem to have "unexplained leaf decline" which is what I've been calling it.
I feel like such a fool! I recently started spraying for black spot (was trying to grow no spray but its practically impossible in S. FL to do this). Meanwhile what I thought was black spot/heat damage/maybe even damage from the actual banner max, turned out to be spider mites.
I noticed them today for the first time crawling around with tiny webbing on the leaves and it clicked.
I guess there is a silver lining though. Now that i know what the problem is I can find a solution.
But what do I do now?
Help!

Comments (13)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Fortunately for you, it is rather easy to eliminate spider mites. Using a really stiff spray from your hose, direct it all around the lower level of the rose and turn it upward to hit the undersides of the leaves above.

Repeat several days in a row or several times during the week. In most cases, that will take care of the spider mites.

Kate

• SoFL Rose z10
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OMG I cant believe that's all I have to do!
    Thanks Dublin
    I wish I had realized this before my poor rose was 60% destroyed.
    Hopefully she'll grow back bigger and happier.
    Thanks!!!

• SoFL Rose z10
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OMG I cant believe that's all I have to do!
    Thanks Dublin
    I wish I had realized this before my poor rose was 60% destroyed.
    Hopefully she'll grow back bigger and happier.
    Thanks!!!

• roseblush1
    10 years ago

Even if every single leaf on a rose has been damaged by a spider mite infestation, Kate's advice will bring the rose back because you have broken the breeding cycle of this pest.

If you live in a hot and dry climate, it's good practice to wash your roses a couple of times a week and then you'll never see an infestation.

Smiles,
    Lyn

• jerijen
    10 years ago

All that is correct.

Use pesticides, and you will have more spider mites. :-(

Use a garden hose, and you can eliminate mites AND things like aphids. Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy. :-)

And don't worry -- your naked Pope will grow new leaves, once the mites are chased off.

Jeri

• michaelg
    10 years ago

Some insecticides including Sevin and Merit will cause outbreaks. Not fungicide.

Spider mites are normally worst on the lower foliage, which shows pale stippling on the upper leaf surface with the leaves eventually curling and drying out. Mysterious foliar symptoms on the upper or new growth of Florida roses could be chilli thrips.

This post was edited by michaelg on Sat, Aug 17, 13 at 10:44

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    10 years ago

Hi,

From the land of hot summers and always dry, something those mites love. I do exactly what has been suggested too. I use a good forceful spray of water from the hose on the leaves for a few days in a row. It is so hot that the roses appreciate the wetting, but the mites hate it.

Lynn

This post was edited by desertgarden561 on Fri, Aug 16, 13 at 20:39

• Maude80
    10 years ago

Spraying with a hard stream of water is definitely the way to go. I've never dealt with them outside, but they always show up on my indoor cuttings that are waiting to go out in the spring. It's amazing the way they can make a plant look so dried out and half dead. I didn't think growers in Florida had that problem because of the humidity though.

Maude

• SoFL Rose z10
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I didn't think we had spider mites here either, but we do. I saw them with their tiny webs crawling all over. I will now spray my roses with water every day. I used to not spray them for fear of blackspot, but i usually water them in the hottest part of the day to prevent them from wilting so I don't think that will be a problem as the leaves will dry quickly in this heat.
    Here is another question, what do you do for thrips?

• saldut
    10 years ago

My tomatoes have been decimated by spider-mites, blast them daily but next day they are right back again, primarily on my wild Everglades 'maters....but none on the roses, so go figure. the chili-thrips have been terrible on the roses however, especially the knock-outs, in my no-spray garden...the only thing I do for the chili-thrips when they get bad is to prune them off...but now is the time to summer-prune anyway as the roses go into hibernation in the heat...be sure to bag those cuttings and get them into the trash, so they don't go right back onto the roses.... they do seem to prefer the buds and the new growth, so when it's like this we just have to accept that we don't have the flowers...they do disappear when it gets colder, and the roses come back to life... the roses like the same weather we do!.....LOL, sally

• michaelg
    10 years ago

DSD, I just try to ignore flower thrips (don't confuse with chili thrips). To control flower thrips you have to spray the buds when the sepals crack and again when the bud starts to open. The least harmful insecticide is spinosad.

• SoFL Rose z10
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm more concerned with chili thrips (I should have specified). I thought my roses were all suffering from the heat. But now I realize that I think it's the darned chili thrips that have them looking so bad. Any suggestions?

• michaelg
    10 years ago

DSD, there is a thread up on controlling chilli thrips.