Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ngordon1_gw

Burnt edges on rose leaves

ngordon1
9 years ago

Hi,
I'm having problems with my rose for a while now.
I've tried spraying it with various types of anti-disease and anti-bacteria; I've tried moving it out of the sun to a shadier and cooler location.
Things are not getting any better.
The edges of the leaves are "burnt", some of them change colour and die...
Also, there are some sort of mushrooms growing now (a new development).
Any ideas?

Photos for reference:
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j173/ngordon1/5EA05DE05D505E005D40.jpg
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j173/ngordon1/5EA05DE05D505E005D40-1.jpg
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j173/ngordon1/5EA05DE05D505E005D401.jpg
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j173/ngordon1/5EA05DE05D505E005D403.jpg

Comments (12)

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

You need to tell us where you are. If it's been very hot it's probably a combination of heat stress and spray burn. You should never spray your roses in temps over 80 degrees. Stop spraying them, keep them shaded and water, water, water them. They should recover.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    9 years ago

I could not see any pics using them links?
    Looks like you live in Israel...Whats the climate like there...

I could not see your pics. So these are guesses... But sometimes over fertilizing can cause burnt leaves. Or certain sprays applied to the leaves during hot days can damage leaves...
    Or overspray from a weed killer etc...

Hopefully you get those pics to work and someone can help you out...

• ngordon1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's way hotter over here (Israel) than 80 F.
    Also, humidity is high.
    Could this be caused by spray / morning dew? How can I prevent it?

• ngordon1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Uploading...

• ngordon1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

also, mushrooms...

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    9 years ago

What product/s are you spraying on your roses?
    Yes certain sprays burn leaves on hot days... Spray very early morning or evening...
    Like Seil said keep them well watered...

After looking at your pics... How many leaves are effected?
    I would do what Seil said and see what happens...

I have mushrooms coming up in our wet mulch all the time... It doesn't seem to hurt anything unless a person or animal eats it... Then if its poison you may have a problem...

This post was edited by jim1961 on Mon, Aug 4, 14 at 16:29

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

If it's way hotter than 80 then I'm pretty sure this is heat stress. Give them any shade you can particularly during the hottest part of the day and keep them well watered. Do not fertilize them or spray them until things cool off. You don't want to stress them any further. The mushroom isn't a problem. I get them in my pots occasionally too. Just pull it out.

• roseseek
    9 years ago

Sprays can drip down to the points of the leaves, concentrating there and burning them. Your foliage does show burned tips. Get those rocks out of the pot! Stones are a passive solar collector, absorbing and radiating heat for a very long time, increasing the heat dramatically in the pot and surrounding air. If you want to mulch the pot, use something organic, compost, shredded wood, something like that. As has been suggested, provide some shade from the hottest part of the day. Keep them away from hot walls where the sun shines on the wall for any length of time. The reflected, radiated heat from a wall can increase the temperature severely. Though hotter than where you are right now, I had a client measure air temps one foot from a southern facing, white stucco wall on a hundred degree day of 130 degrees F. That's a thirty degree increase from the radiated, reflected heat and that can cook a plant quickly. Add the reflected, radiated heat from what looks like cinder rock you've used as a mulch, and that increases the temperature the roses have to survive, too. Water stress in hot weather can force them to mildew. Hot plus humid can lead to black spot and rust, also. Stress them with higher heat and you inhibit their immune systems enough to make them contract fungal issues.

If at all possible, place them where they will receive morning sun, away from sunny walls, and where they can be protected from noon and later sun which is tremendously hotter than morning light. Keep them watered and stop spraying the leaves until the weather cools below 80F. There are very few products you can spray in brilliant sun and high heat which won't scorch and burn foliage. Sprays will not help with heat damaged foliage, but water will stimulate the plants to replace damaged foliage. I think you should try these suggestions first, keep them properly watered and see how they respond. They will "tell" you what they want and what else is needed. If you fertilize, water well the day before applying the food, then water well afterward. Salts from fertilizers can build up quickly in heat and in pots in general and can actually kill the plants if applied too dry or too strongly. Good luck! Kim

• michaelg
    9 years ago

Doesn't look serious--desert heat, and too little water or too much fertilizer can contribute to burn. Kim is an expert on desert gardening, so heed him. The two dead leaves in the last picture are nothing to worry about--they are just dead leaves. Best wishes.

Michael

• subk3
    9 years ago

ngordan1, you've got seil, roseseek and michaelg--I'm not sure there is better advise available in one place.

I for one am so appreciative to have a resource like gardenweb and the posters here. Thanks guys!

• ngordon1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the detailed response.
    I've removed the rocks from the pot and relocated it. Now it should be in the shade most of the day.
    Ill water it as you've suggested.
    Also, considering the fact that it is August already and that the diagnosis was that the rose suffers from the heat, I hope that the coming autom-weather will help.
    Again, many thanks.

• roseseek
    9 years ago

You're welcome. Don't get me wrong, it does need sunlight to produce chlorophyll, it just will benefit from the bright morning sun without being fried by the hot afternoon sun and the heat coming off any hot walls cooking it. I'm glad you got the rocks out of there. That should help. If the soil is old, you might also consider carefully lifting it from the pot, putting in some new soil beneath the root ball, filling in around the sides and over the top to freshen things up a bit. Potting soil can quickly break down in high heat, damaging drainage and water holding capacities as it does. I'll leave that call to you as you know how old the soil is and how well it drains. Good luck! I think all of us suffering through severe summers are looking forward to autumn! Kim