Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kes4753

Hard Choices

Kes Z 7a E Tn
9 years ago

Some of you may remember that I was planning a little playhouse and rose garden for our granddaughter. This year has had its share of challenges. In April, DH injured his shoulder and ended up having surgery within the week. He has been progressing on physical therapy but will not be released for work till Oct/Nov per the doctor. So no playhouse for Sophia this summer.

However, I already ordered and had most of the roses so I had a dilemma. I lost a lot of roses this winter, so that found a spot for a couple, but many weren't appropriate replacements. After taking a hard look at the back border, and old lilac bed, I realized that I had more room than I thought if I cleaned them out, moved the bully perennials, and divided quite a few of the rest. After a lot of work, almost everything is cleaned up and most roses are now out of pots and in the ground. I am finally on the last part- the bed behind the carport and kitchen. It faces east/southeast. Some of this bed sits in an ell formed by the sunroom and kitchen and the corner may be too shady for roses. I am hoping the rest can become my pink rose bed, something I wanted to have for a long time. I may have to make some hard choices, though.

So, If you had to choose, would you take Belinda's Dream or Quietness? I hope I find room for both but I may not.

Of mini's and mini-floras: Smiling Jean, Admirable, Whimsy, or Sweet Fairy? I think that I am going with Smiling Jean, but may only be able to go with one or two more. I'd take all of the above if I could.

On the bright side, it matters not to Sophia that the roses aren't in a special bed. She loves to smell their blossoms and help me water them and cut a few for the house. So it's all good.

Comments (4)

• sara_ann-z6bok
    9 years ago

Hope your husband's recovery goes good. Sophia sounds like a darling little girl. The only rose I know anything about of those you mentioned is Belinda's Dream, it has been a great rose for me. From other comments I've read I think Quietness is a good rose too. I'm not familiar with the minis or mini-floras, so hopefully others will respond. A pink rose bed sounds lovely to me.

• Kes Z 7a E Tn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Sara-Ann. DH is doing better than he was before surgery so we're hopeful. I hope Sophia has inherited the gardening gene. I remember my own grandmother doing the same kinds of things with me.

My mom, who lives more in middle TN has Belinda's Dream and really loves it. She's not really into roses so it must be easy to grow and do well here. However, I like Quietness and have had reasonable success with some Buck roses.

Mini's are a crap shoot for me. I just do my best to read pedigrees, see if there's something back there that I can grow and hope I pick a good one. Sometimes I have no idea if all the names are unfamiliar and just give it a try. Neither way is foolproof.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    9 years ago

Hope your DH heals well - healing takes time, impatience is the nemesis of getting well, so hope he gives himself plenty of time.

I have both roses - I really think I like Belinda's Dream a little better - totally disease proof foliage which it never loses even in heat of summer, and really pumps out the blooms all the time. I was just trimming mine back yesterday, buds all over it. If this rose had fragrance, it would be THE perfect rose. I have and really like Quietness - and its a good rose, but if I had to pick, it would be Belinda hand's down. I bought a few more to put around the yard just because its such a beautiful rose AND a good looking shrub.

My granddaughter Addison, who is 3, seems to have inherited both the gardening gene and the horse loving gene! How lucky can I get? Already got her a bomb proof broke pony, and she loves all my Miniature horses, and loves being outside "helping" me garden!

I have a pink rose bed too........edged in dwarf boxwoods. Apricot is my favorite color rose, but I adore this pink bed!
    Judith

• Kes Z 7a E Tn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Alameda. That helps. Your pink rose bed sounds delightful! Apricot roses are also my favorite but there are so many wonderful pink roses. I wish I could grow more of them.

Addison sounds delightful. Granddaughters are a gift, aren't they? And you're right about DH needing patience. It isn't his strong suit but he's handling it better than I thought.