Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roserich

rose color to compliment purple/mauves

Hello. I've decided I'm going to do a cutting garden of purples/mauves. I've noticed that all of this color family seem to have golden stamens. I'm thinking gold/yellow/apricot/buff would be pretty with roses like "ebb tide" "night owl" "intrigue"...

I like the following roses based on photos:

"apricot vigorosa" "aloha" "out of africa" "just joey" "wishing" "kordes moonlight: "rugelda" "sunny sky"

Any of my more experienced colleagues care to share an opinion? Also, would some white look nice as well?

This garden will be visible but primarily for cutting.

Thanks!

Comments (14)

• wirosarian_z4b_WI
    11 years ago

Yes yellows go good with these roses, I've used Sunsprite & Julia Childs.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    11 years ago

One of the prettiest combinations I had many years ago was Just Joey and Angel Face. Just Joey is a marvelous color with the mauves. Sorry, I've never heard of the others on your list except for Aloha. The "Aloha" that most of us are familiar with is a pink short climber, so I'm thinking this may be a Kordes rose whose name has been reused without regard to previouos introductions. Or not. The registered rose "Aloha" is not any shade of yellow....Maryl

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    11 years ago

Most of my garden is in purple, mauve, yellow, and apricot combinations. I love them! Don't forget Ebb Tide's offspring, Twilight Zone. I have both roses, and I think TZ is a definite improvement over Ebb Tide (stays darker in heat, nicer bush shape). Some favorite yellow roses of mine are that mainstay, Julia Child, and a much smaller shrub with similar yellow blooms, Bernstein-Rose. Golden Celebration is a good Austin yellow. Apricots/peach...where to begin. Abbaye de Cluny is pretty good. Austins Tamora and Evelyn can be good, depending on your climate. Light mauves I like are Blueberry Hill and Angel Face, though that rose can have disease problems in many areas. I have a post with photos of lots of purple/yellow combos on this forum if you're interested. Diane

• roseseek
    11 years ago

Your stated combinations are lovely. One of the most dramatic combinations I grew in the old garden was purple with orange. Violet and orange roses with violet columbine, penstemon, heliotrope and other perennials. I know many resist orange as "harsh" or "strident", yet that was the combination visitors to that garden were always drawn to and spent the most time ogling. Its drama carried well into a vase, particularly when put in black amethyst Depression Glass ones. Kim

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

Just Joey is beautiful but not a vigorous grower and can be very winter tender as well as black spot prone. Julia Child, on the other hand, appears to be unstoppable! I don't have a lot of apricot roses, most of mine are more orange. The two I have are Sisters at Heart and Cherish. Neither of them is vigorous and they're both rather stingy bloomers. If yo don't mind brighter colors I'm crazy in love with Dick Clark! Blooms his fool head off and at the moment is the only rose on the patio that has not one spotted leaf! Everything else is nearly nekkid from BS but Dick Clark still has every leaf and is covered in yet another round of blooms.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    11 years ago

I forgot to mention that Abbaye De Cluny has the same coloring as Just Joey, but is a vigorous grower and fairly large rose with a nice shape. Its blooms are large, too. Diane

• Noni Morrison
    11 years ago

I can't say enough good things about South Africa! However, it grows tall and should probably be the center of the bed. The golden orange is always beautiful, the leaves are almost spotless and the healthiest I have seem. It would look fabulous with purples! I have it near Night Owl And they set each other off beautifully. It would be wonderful with Time Zone too. Its far more vigorous then Abbye De Cluny or Just Joey. And its been covered in bloom constantly since early June with a whole new set of them about to start opening...never without at least a few and often COVERED in them!

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    11 years ago

Purple and orange is one of my favorite combinations also, Kim. It was an accident the first time I did it when some orange cosmos volunteered in a patch of purple and blue larkspur and lupines. Now, I do it on purpose. It is an eye popping combo.

• flaurabunda
    11 years ago

I have Night Owl next to About Face and it's glorious.

All of my other mauves are surrounded by cream, light pink, or deep red roses & the effect from a distance is that everything looks pinkish.

I agree that golden, warm tones look best next to purples.

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone so much! I guess I am FINALLY coming to understand color complements...I have lots of purple runner bean vine, purple butterfly bush, some kind of purple/black caladium and the purple/chartreuse sweet potato vines. Lots of lavender/hot pink cleome, hot pink/chartreuse zinnias and verbena boniarensis.I planted roses for the first time this year and have mostly whites/pinks/reds.
    I'm in Zone 6 in Nashville with a microclimate closer to 7 probably. I haven't had hardly any disease issues and I haven't sprayed....i guess it's just beginner's luck.
    I AM feeding and watering them like crazy!
    I'd love any suggestions for fragrant vigorous free flowering roses good in a vase and any photos or links to photos would be great.

• canadian_rose
    11 years ago

I think Ch-Ching would be wonderful. Mine has large 4" blooms, very full, bright unfading yellow with tons of flowers. It always seems to have flowers. They last a long time too. I grow mine in pots and overwinter it in the garage. No fragrance - but a stellar rose!!
    Very healthy shiny dark leaves.
    Carol

• richsd
    11 years ago

Thanks for the comment about Dick Clark. I want to try it myself :)

• lola-lemon
    11 years ago

All your color combinations sound really appealing. I am probably stating the obvious, but colors that are opposite one another on the color wheel make the most appealing complements ( apricot/ orange and burgundy purple ; yellow and cornflower blue. Etc etc)

• lola-lemon
    11 years ago

Holy cats. I reversed those complementary pairs. It's violet with yellow; blue with apricot.