Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Long-distance move of potted roses

Posted by dwpc 10 SoCal (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 31, 12 at 13:02

We knew we'd be moving to a location 100 miles from the closest large nursery this Fall, so last Spring we bought five of our favorites in 5 gal pots at a local grower's Spring sale to take along. The moving day is coming at the end of Sept. It will be a 4-5 day moving interval. There's no room for five 5 gal pots and full growth in the car and the mover's chg for moving 25 gal of dirt is out of the question. My plan is to cut them back as if for winter, spray with Cloud Cover, de-pot and make them semi-bare root, wrap roots in plastic, and repot or heel them in at the new house ASAP upon arrival. It will be 4-6 wks before any frost at the new location, so they will have some growing time left in the new place.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Long-distance move of potted roses

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 31, 12 at 15:10

Do not wrap roots too tightly in plastic--in an anaerobic environment they will rot.

o

Last December we had the same choices for a cross-country move. We rented a small cheap enclosed trailer and moved pots. But i still had to leave a couple behind. At the last minute i dumped "Arizona" out of its pot and wrapped it in wet painter's canvas and off we went...with three dogs and a cat too. In the chaos of the move Arizona got lost. Three months later i happened to see some small green leaves peeping out from under our deck stairs outdoors. Yup, Arizona calling for rescue. As i type this, it is one of the healthiest bushes in the new garden. So that would be a vote for canvas from the paint store!

o

or even damp newspaper or bits of old sheet material. Keep them cool, as cool as possible, They will be OK. Cut them back as hard as you can bring yourself to manage, they may drop all remaining leaves and go into early dormancy, not a problem, even if they look dead. Wait till next year - they should be fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here