Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
more RRD??

Posted by Brooks23 6 KY (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 16, 13 at 13:23

Just when I thought all my roses were all right I found this on my Prospero rose. I had cut it back once because I thought it had suspicious growth and now it is back. This looks like the Rose Rosette Disease? Should I cut it back one more time of just dig it up? :-(
Brooks23

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: more RRD??

Appears to be a tiny brand-new shoot--I would give it several days and see if leaves open normally and thorns firm up.

o

Yes. His new growth IS mahogany in color.
And he is also a prickly devil.

Jeri

o

Thanks for the help and advice. I sure wish there was a cure for this disease. I am going to wait 2 or 3 days and take another picture but it sure looks bad
Brooks23

o

It does not look like RRV to me. It looks like new HT growth, I have a lot that look like this in my yard. Many modern roses have red/mahogany new growth.

o

I think maybe I overreacted because I have had several roses that did have the RRV. The thorns on this red growth are not soft. The roses I have thought for sure that had the disease would have lots of red thorn and they would be soft.
First year for this disease and am still learning how to identify.
Thanks, Brooks23

o

• Posted by maryl Z7 Okla. (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 17, 13 at 19:48

Just pulled another one here with RRD and your rose certainly doesn't look like any I've had to pitch this year (4 and counting). I think you got lucky.......Maryl

o

Thanks Maryl. It sure is hard to pull up those roses. I have pulled up at least 4 and cut back a lot to see what happens.
There are so many Knock Out roses planted by offices and city landscaping that I bet next summer is going to be even worse.
Does it ever go away? I no longer have Japanese Beatles but this is more serious.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here