Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RRD and my neighborhood

Posted by poorbutroserich Nashville (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 16, 13 at 13:23

Had a garden consult today. The consultant told me she is taking out 10 RRD infected old climbers just two streets over from mine.
That made me sad.
Susan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RRD and my neighborhood

That would scare me spitless.

Jeri

o

You just have to be vigilant. Check your roses at least once a week. My guess is that the 'old climbers' were neglected and not checked when one first showed symptoms and it spread. Very sad.

o

Yes Jeri, it has scared me more than spitless! You know how many new roses I am acquiring.
Buford I will be vigilant and I do live in an "old" neighborhood.
I've just got to stop seeing these roses as a permanent part of my life, like a pet or something.
What is up with that. Does anyone else do that?
Susan

o

• Posted by nickl Z7a NJ (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 17, 13 at 10:01

If RRD does show up in your garden, it would be prudent to remove all the plants that are showing symptoms. it's not a 100% guarantee because there are known cases of infected plants that don't show any symptoms, and of course, it can come in from wild roses too. . But it's still the best course of action to prevent it spreading.

o

• Posted by maryl Z7 Okla. (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 17, 13 at 21:06

I've had the worst season of RRD this year since I've been growing roses in the mid 80's. I've already pitched 4 roses with it and 2 others have sprouted RRD canes which I've cut back to the crown trying to save them (if the RRD hasn't moved down to the roots). I've had luck with doing this before - about 20% of my roses being saved if I had caught the RRD in time. These last two roses I'm particularly fond of and don't want to loose which is why I'm chancing it..... Gotten more and more into daylilies as I've gotten older, and it's a good thing too. My rose days may be numbered. From one or two RRD roses every few years to this mess this year...Since Knock Outs started being planted in every gas station and rent house around here, there's more roses then ever to spread the mites that have the disease......Such a shame....... If it ever crosses the Rockies, I feel sorry for those in the mild climates along the coast.........Maryl

o

I regularly see KOs in commercial settings that have RRD. I would have to carry around a shovel with me to get rid of all of them. I too was able to save some roses by removing infected canes. Even my Ballerina, which was awfully affected and we thought we removed all the roots, came back and has been healthy so far.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here