Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jerijensunsetz24

'Porcelain Rose'

jerijen
11 years ago

I'm just tickled pink with this. Love, love, love it.

And it's thornless, too!

Jeri

Comments (14)

• steelrose
    11 years ago

Charming!

Not in commerce?

Colleen

• roseseek
    11 years ago

WILL be in commerce as soon as Long Ago Roses builds sufficient stock. It's in the pipeline. Jeri tested it for me in her cooler, damper climate. It seems to be doing quite well there, too! (Thankfully!) Thanks, Jeri!

One of the best parts is, the variety has never been budded or grafted. All plants are to be own root and so far, all have been produced from the original seedling. Hopefully, that should maintain the cultivar "clean". Kim

• merlcat
    11 years ago

Love it! So delicate, and I love the shading.

It brings to mind the pearlescent beauty a peachy, creamy, shiny seashell. Very pretty!

• jerijen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kim's created some darned good roses, but I think this one may really catch public imagination.

Good on ya, Kim. :-)

Jeri

• roseseek
    11 years ago

Thank you, Jeri! (And, yes, we DO have a mutual admiration society together! LOL!) Kim

• TNY78
    11 years ago

Exciting! I know a couple of months ago Linda had emailed it to me as LynnPoo while she was giving me suggestions for some new roses. In the spring I'd like to get this one and Annie Laurie McDowell from her! Heard great things about that one too :)

Tammy

• jaxondel
    11 years ago

Roseseek, et al. -- Are there any photos to be had of a mature (or almost mature) plant? I'm curious about growth habit and eventual size . . . Thanks.

• roseseek
    11 years ago

No photos, sorry. The entire area in which the original seedling grows looks like hades. Full sun, morning through setting; triple digits with many weeds (they mask the roses so the rabbits don't find them!). The size so far, is about 2' X 2'. It is own root, the actual original seedling. All the photos I have posted of it are of this particular plant. For much of this summer, I've watered simply to keep things alive. As long as I can maintain them, I can nurse them back into being pretty if/when conditions improve. Perhaps Jeri's is available for photos of the plant? Kim

• jerijen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Will be, some day -- but it is presently too immature to be informative.

Jeri

• Glenburn
    11 years ago

Kim, I have just looked up it's family and it appears it has taken on the pollen parentage, is this correct.
    Regards David.

• roseseek
    11 years ago

Hi David! I'm not quite sure what you mean. Porcelain Rose appears to have inherited the best of both parents to me. Pride of Oakland has some really good genes in it, being a cross of Pinocchio and China Doll. Lynnie carries the miniature and all the great genes from Basye's Legacy. It's definitely more compact than Lynnie; is even more prickle free than Lynnie; has inherited more of the Pride of Oakland form and petal substance; with the great health of both. It also appears to root as quickly and easily as both parents. I already have crosses with it in the pipeline. Did that help? Kim

• strawchicago z5
    11 years ago

I also ordered "Porcelain Rose" from Linda at LongAgoRoses in NC, along with "Well Being" - fragrant yellow ruffles Harkness, along with "Joyberry" - Kim's prickled creation with a strong old rose scent, which breeders Paul Barden and Robert Neil Rippletoe BOTH raved about.

All the above roses are cheap at $10 each band-size. What interested me about Porcelain rose is its tons-of-blooms Pride of Oakland and Lynnie as parents. Lynnie is planted in my no-water zone along with Knock-outs and Flower Carpets. This past summer's drought, all the perennials are white with mildew, but Lynnie stayed clean in that no-water bed - so I expect the same with her child, Porcelain Rose.

Joyberry's parent is Basyes Blueberry, which is on Texas drought-tolerant list. Basyes B. has the disease-free reputation that Belinda's Dream has. It helps to research the parents to see how drought and mildew-resistant they are.

• jerijen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lynnie's for sure mildew-proof here at the SoCal coast.

Jeri

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

Hmmm...I think I'll need to test this one "up North" and see how it does. Sure is pretty!

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living