Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tiny green worms (caterpillars?)

Posted by johnsaunt 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 20, 07 at 14:19

I just discovered some very tiny (3 mm long by 1 mm wide) green worms or caterpillars eating the leaves on my roses. The stems are completely defoliated and these little worms are often found curled up~resting for the next assault?

What are they? Will they turn into some beneficial butterfly or moth? If so, I'll gladly sacrifice some of my rose bush. But I suspect that they're nothing but trouble.

Thanks, Ginny

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tiny green worms (caterpillars?)

They are likely to be sawfly larvae, known as rose slugs. The winged adult is a type of wasp.

o
RE: Tiny green worms (caterpillars?)

Sawfly larvae most likely. They will turn into an ugly tan and black, wasp looking flying pest and nuisance. Pick the bugs off and squash them gleefully.

If you look closely further down the cane of the rose, you will likely see a black section and lesion. This is where the larvae hatched from. The adult sawfly lay's eggs right into the tender new rose canes and these worms hatch from there and eat all the tender new growth and buds.

They are a nuisance here at this time of year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here