Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diane_nj

S&W Greenhouse Open for Ordering

diane_nj 6b/7a
10 years ago

S&W Greenhouse has opened their web site for ordering. Bare roots. most grafted on Dr. Huey, but some own root bare roots as well. Excellent plants, but they do ship early (the last two weeks in February ONLY).

Here is a link that might be useful: S&W Greenhouse

Comments (9)

• joshtx
    10 years ago

Seems they carry 3 new Austins. First place I've seen them. If I didn't already have too many Austins I would order Heathcliff.

• nummykitchen
    10 years ago

Thanks for posting! This will be my first time ordering from them. I ordered

Over the Moon (which I'd never heard of before but fell in love after looking it up on HMF)
    Sterling Silver
    Stainless Steel (those two I've wanted since I got into roses)
    and a Purple Tiger to replace the one I lost over last winter.

Andrea

• jaxondel
    10 years ago

Andrea: Did you note S&W's very narrow shipping "window"? -- Begins and ends in late February.

They discourage gardeners in your zone from ordering from them unless the bareroots can be potted-up and grown in a greenhouse until spring. If you can't provide that kind of care, you might want to reconsider your order.

Here's a link to S&W's shipping info page.

Here is a link that might be useful: S&W's 'Shipping Info' Page

• nummykitchen
    10 years ago

Yeah I noticed that, I figured I would pot them up and keep them inside in an area with three walls of windows. It worked last year for my RVR bands. If they don't make it at least I'll have tried, I won't blame s&w. I can never find Stainless Steel or Sterling Silver and I looked all season for Purple Tiger to no avail -- I know j&p had it but it was sold out before I could order, was planning to order it from there this year if I could get one but when I saw it at s&w I just couldn't resist. I bought one at Home Depot last year and loved those purple stripes. :)

• jaxondel
    10 years ago

Andrea: Oh, okay . . . Well, good luck with that approach.

If you check early enough, I think you'll find that each of the three varieties you're looking for will be available as bareroots from Regan Nursery. They will ship at a date that you find most advantageous for your conditions. They, like S&W, are very reputable and reliable.

I see no reason for not giving you AND your roses every possible advantage.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    10 years ago

I am fortunate to live only an hour away from the lovely nursery. I ventured out at the beginning of August and picked up large pots of bolero and Belinda's dream for only 10$ each . I am renting still so I potted them into large pots and they are doing well! It was hard to not buy more, if we still are in the Nashville area next spring I'll be going back for sure. It was very well kept with a pretty cat that kept a close eye on me to make sure I didnt need any help! Lol
    When I lived in pa I had picked up either night owl or stormy night and really enjoyed the blooms... I wish I could remember which it was so I could snatch one up from them!

• kstrong
    10 years ago

Just a note to recommend this mail order source. I've been using them for years, and I think they are one of the most cost effective sources for mail order roses, they are extremely reliable, and shipping costs are low. The roses come when they say they will -- which is that one date in February -- and they are properly named. What attracted me to them is that they always spotlight varieties that are not available everywhere else until the following year.

So if you can plant at the end of February (which, actually, is kind of late for where I am -- Dec/Jan would be better), then go ahead and use this source.

Here is a link that might be useful: New roses this year from S&W Greenhouse

• bethnorcal9
    10 years ago

I order almost every yr from them. I am running out of room, but I lost quite a few roses this past season, so am looking to either replace or get something else. Their prices are the most reasonable, and shipping is also very reasonable. I plan to order CORETTA SCOTT KING, SUGAR MOON, and FIRED UP. Still debating if I want to replace two that died on me... BARBRA STREISAND and FIREFIGHTER (HACIENDA).

Regan's is a great source also, but even for me being here in the same state, the shipping is a LOT more. I do want to order JULIO IGLESIAS, as they are the only source for a grafted one. But to make that shipping cost worthwhile, I would prefer to add a couple more roses. Just not sure what I really want yet.

(Truth be told, I shouldn't be ordering anything at all!!) LOL

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    10 years ago

Nummykitchen- I'm in quite a different climate here in 10B/24, but I was at a nursery not too far from me recently that had a row of rather stunning Over the Moons. It was a truly wonderful Apricot hue in person. I frankly don't recall the scent, but boy it sure looked good and was quite floriferous. I hope it works out for you.

And my mother has told me that my grandfather always kept a Sterling Silver from the moment it came out. It always makes me smile to see.

Jay

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH