Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! My leaves are turning yellow!!

Posted by roseofsharon2008 Zone 7b - North Texa (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 30, 08 at 15:06

Ok, newbie back...kinda panicking. The bottom leaves of some of my roses are turning yellow.
Any ideas? Am I watering too much? Or do I need to add something??
Sorry the pictures are out of focus some. I sure do appreciate any help ya'll can offer!

Sharon

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! My leaves are turning yellow!!

Lower leaves often depart, particularly as the year advances.
They're worn out.
It's normal.

Aside from that, tho it is blurry, you may have some blackspot on Verdun.
(I wouldn't stake my life on that, as it's pretty blurry.)
And the Kordes rose problem COULD be downy mildew.
You might get better images if you could put your leaves in a flatbed
scanner, and scan 'em.

Jeri

o

My guess would be that it's nothing worse than the summer heat. Many of my roses, if not most, have the same problem, even though I water every second day. My tea roses (not hybrid teas) seem the least susceptible to this. When cooler weather and/or rain comes, these leaves will drop off and new green foliage will grow in their place.

Ingrid

o

I'll try scanning them, Jeri...thanks!

o

How are you watering and how much water are they receiving?

Like Jeri said, those leaves gotta go sometime.

o

We have soaker hoses around the beds and water them once a day, dripping for about 30 minutes or so. It has been horrificly hot here in Texas this past month.

Too much water, maybe??

o

I wouldn't even begin to guess on whether it's too much water.
It all depends upon the temperature and humidity, and the soil conditions.

But again, losing those lower leaves is likely not a problem.

Jeri

o

ok, one last question...should I clip them off?

o

Mine have this, too. I just went ahead and pulled them off. Because in my experience, they just turn brown and fall off anyway. I think mine was from heat. We went 21 days without rain and it was 80-90 degrees even in the morning! They looked pretty sad and bare, but they're starting to come back out now.

I'm just a novice, but I put a little Miracle Grow on mine to help them out so they weren't so bare.

o

Thank you Brittney...I'll try a touch of miracle gro too...couldn't hurt!

o

I have a lot of this because of the drought. I've just been pulling them off. Most of them are the older larger leaves that are months old. Senile tissue, as jeri would say.

The interesting thing is that since we had all that rain last week, many of my roses have perked up. I had my 3 Barrone Prevost which looked positively awful. Their leaves were almost black (I did spray fungicide and I think they were so dehydrated they were damaged) and now the new growth is a bright light green. It looks funny, but I'm glad to see them doing well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here