Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chardie_gw

Is thIs rose hopeless?

chardie
10 years ago

I bought this fairy rose probably about four years ago from a very famous, supposedly reputable place. It's never bloomed. At first the rose petals look burned on the end. Then I started used a Bayer product recommended for rose midge. It didn't seem to work at all. I switched to another Bayer product containing cyfluthin (sp.?) after researching rose midge. A "rose expert" told me that it can't be midge because none of the other six roses in this garden have gotten it.

Then I thought I read something online about a bunch of fairy roses that had blind shoots, or something, due to some breeding problem.

Do you have any suggestions as to (1) what the problem is, and (2) how to solve it. I think this is the third or fourth year since I've had it. The rose and the hydrangea next to it get sort of yellowed leaves at this time of year, after having been treated by the Bayer liquid every 7 to 10 days since May. I'm in northeastern Connecticut, zone 5b. I have two other types of fairy roses in my front yard and they're gorgeous.
{{gwi:318434}}

{{gwi:318435}}

Comments (5)

• roseseek
    10 years ago

They aren't "blind shoots" because you have flower clusters with peduncles, ovaries, sepals and seemingly fungal destroyed petals. It looks more like a botrytis issue to me. As if they aren't durable enough to endure the water and humidity they encounter where it's grown. Blind shoots are stems which produce leaves but no flowers. This one IS flowering, just not to the perfection expected.

Have you tried moving it to more sun where the flowers may not remain as wet? I get similar looking results here from smaller flowers getting wet from the hose or sprinklers. Kim

• susan4952
    10 years ago

So close to the hydrangea. I do the same thing. If possible, I would give her some space. Every inch of air circulation area helps.

• michaelg
    10 years ago

If this rose has never bloomed decently in four years, it may well a bad clone, that is, it carries an unfavorable mutation. Occasionally my plant takes a spell of aborting some fraction of the flower buds, but it isn't a continuous or severe issue at all. And here roses can be constantly wet for days at a time (weeks, this year). Surely your plant hasn't been wet for four entire growing seasons.

Please add your state to your sig line. It helps people answer questions. For example, rose midge is a problem only in limited areas.

I think if you had rose midge, by this time of the year the plant would not be able to produce new growth such as the picture shows. However, the best way to find out is to take a sample to the county ag extension office.

It seems you could stop using the insecticide since it isn't working. What product were you applying before you tried cyfluthrin?

• chardie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, everyone, for the responses. Like I said in the message, I'm in northeastern CT. I've just never had this problem with a rose before. I have roses planted in my front yard that are two feet apart, Graham Thomas, Bonica, Dr. Huey and Elsie May, and they all bloom beautifully. The knockouts are great as well.

When I first bought this rose, I started using Bayer after I saw the "burnt edges" look it had. I thought the Fairy was a pretty carefree rose.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

First off, throw away the Bayer and other insecticides. Nothing needs that much "treatment."

Now, based on my The Fairy which did the same thing for several years, transplant it to a place where it gets more sun and has more elbow room. Then water it in very well and keep an eye on it for the next few weeks so that it does not dry out.

Now wait. While you are waiting, you might lightly trim off those flowering duds--just to make the whole thing look nicer. And spread some mulch around so that the Fairy will like its attractive new home.

When it flowers, enjoy it--and make sure it doesn't dry out.

No guarantees, but that is how I "cured" my Fairy after it drove me to frustration for several years. Worth a try anyway. : )

Kate