Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reemcook

Please HELP save my Charisma rose!

reemcook
10 years ago

Hi folks,

My sentimental favorite rose, Charisma, appears as depicted in the pictures. It looked just fine 2-3 days ago. Can you please help me troubleshoot the issue(s) that may have caused the Charisma rose to droop. I don't want my Charisma rose to die! Waaah...please help!

{{gwi:318497}}

{{gwi:318498}}

{{gwi:318499}}

{{gwi:318500}}

If the pictures in the message do not appear, please click the link to see them on my Photobucket account. Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: Rosa Charisma on Photobucket

Comments (9)

• michaelg
    10 years ago

Only one cane?

--Trouble at the base of the cane: broken, or girdled by a canker, or drilled by a sawfly larva the whole length (in which case it feels hollow when squeezed). Cut down to healthy wood.

--Or trouble at the roots, such as a gopher chewed them off.

Also check soil moisture, and remember temporary wilting may occur when cloudy weather gives way to hot sunny weather.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Have you sprayed or fertilized it recently? If not check everything Michael said and if you can't find a problem keep it watered and maybe shade it a little during the hot afternoon and see if that helps. If you have done something to it recently it could be a burn issue. Again the solution would be extra water.

• jerijen
    10 years ago

When I see a rose suddenly droop that way, I usually take hold of it and pull. If a gopher has eaten the roots, it will pop right out of the ground. They can eat all the roots of a mature rosebush in a day or two.

Jeri

• jerijen
    10 years ago

When I see a rose suddenly droop that way, I usually take hold of it and pull. If a gopher has eaten the roots, it will pop right out of the ground. They can eat all the roots of a mature rosebush in a day or two.

Jeri

• jerijen
    10 years ago

Sorry -- Double Post!

This post was edited by jerijen on Wed, Aug 7, 13 at 13:00

• reemcook
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I used fish emulsion to "weakly" fertilize the roses. All of the roses except Charisma seemed to be pleased with the treatment. I was careful not to get the liquid on the foliage of the plants.

Our summers here in the 8a zone (PNW) are short and "moody". Last week, the weather was partly cloudy, rainy (and even a thunderstorm thrown into the mix) with the average temp at 72 degree. This week summer decided to visit us again - it has been warm with temperatures hovering around 84-87 degrees since Sunday. It is pleasant 81 degrees today.

I wonder if the above mentioned factors affected my Charisma rose. I have been watering it to reverse any adverse reaction to the fish emulsion.

Jeri: I am unsure if I should pull the entire rose plant out. I do not suspect a gofer issue.

Sigh...I sincerely hope the rose survives. I am sentimental about my Charisma rose because it is my daughter's name (although the spelling and meaning of the name is different in our cultural roots/language).

This post was edited by reemcook on Wed, Aug 7, 13 at 17:31

• reemcook
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi michaelg,

Yes, it has only cane. It has had only one cane. It was in a pot until mid-summer last year. And then the rose was planted in the ground after we had our backyard landscaped. It has been in the ground for only a year. But it has hardly grown despite the beautiful blooms. It is time to replace the rose or perhaps move it into a pot for extra TLC?

Thank you.

Reem

• michaelg
    10 years ago

Have you checked out the possible causes of collapse that I described? Jeri is not telling you to uproot the plant, but to pull on it to see if it has any roots.

The wilting is a different issue from the single cane, but the single cane suggests something is wrong with the site or the cultural practices, or else this plant is somehow a dud.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

If you haven't done any kind of spraying than it has to be some type of root ball issue. Do check to see if it's still firmly rooted or not.

I have brought back a one cane wonder to a decent plant by digging it out and potting it so I could give the best sun and attention. It requires a lot of patience though and isn't always successful. But if the root ball has been destroyed there probably isn't much hope.